• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Need some help with the proper placement of a temp probe in a bone-in butt. QView added

marlin009

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 10, 2010
Second time smoking a butt. The first was a boneless, this is a 5.4 # bone in. Seems like the bone is right in the center and takes up a lot of room. How far away from it does it need to be not to throw off the temp reading? Where is the best place to put it?  Thanks.

Ready to roll in the AM.

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
as long as it's 1/4 " away you are good

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

You have to make sure that you are atleast go into the butt about halfway. You also want to make sure that you don't get too near the bone so you get a false hot reading.

marlin009

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 10, 2010
I loaned my camera to a buddy for the weekend so all I have is crappy cell phone picks.

Oh well, at least my butt came out better than my photography.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 17, 2010
pics aren't that bad, I don't mind slightly blurry butts as long as there are butts to look at.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.