Need help with ideal jerky thickness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I’m still fairly new to making jerky, but I’m hooked. I’ve been using my Lang warmer box, and have really enjoyed experimenting with various recipes. One thing, I’ve yet to get the ideal thickness down pat. First time, meat was too thick and it took forever to make. This last time, I cut it too thin. I use a berkel slicer, and I do temper the meat before slicing. But can anyone tell me the ideal setting for thickness on a berkel?

thanks in advance!

I tried measuring out 1/4" on my berkel. Literally put a tape measure to the blade/gap. That was the batch that was too thick, but I will try it again. Thanks!

I tried measuring out 1/4" on my berkel. Literally put a tape measure to the blade/gap. That was the batch that was too thick, but I will try it again. Thanks!
Might have to watch how hard you push against the fence when slicing . I know you said you par freeze , just thinking .
I go just under a 1/4 .

Reactions: 73saint
Anyone know what 1/4" is on a Berkel? I believe the measurements are mm's. So would that be 2.5? Don't laugh....

OK I get that but if I go to 6.35 on the Berkel, that's waaaaay too thick. Maybe not, maybe it was the pressure I put on the fence. Will try again tonight.

I'm betting you are putting too much pressure on the fence. Been there/done that.

I'm betting you are putting too much pressure on the fence. Been there/done that.

What slicer you have? I have a Hobart and I cant move the fence by pushing on it. I bet Berkel is the same.

I am not challenging you just thinking ..

What slicer you have? I have a Hobart and I cant move the fence by pushing on it. I bet Berkel is the same.

I am not challenging you just thinking ..

Perhaps I misspoke. I meant compressing the meat with too much pressure on it. Not so much the fence flexing. Compressed meat, cut, then it relaxes. And you have thicker pieces. I have a 30 plus year old 7" Rival. Hardly a contender by today's means.

Perhaps I misspoke. I meant compressing the meat with too much pressure on it. Not so much the fence flexing. Compressed meat, cut, then it relaxes. And you have thicker pieces. I have a 30 plus year old 7" Rival. Hardly a contender by today's means.

Ok. that makes sense compresing the meat. I can see that.

Steve, you were right. I was putting too much pressure on the meat. I just cut 5lbs on 6.3 or so and it seems to have come out perfectly.
Thanks for everyone’s input!

Reactions: pc farmer
1/4 inch here too. After letting it sit in the freezer overnight.

Attachments

• 49CAD537-1EF8-4967-AB4D-B2E3390F167C.jpeg
    49CAD537-1EF8-4967-AB4D-B2E3390F167C.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 17
It's all personal preference, make a few small batches writing down the thickness used for each batch and go for it. Half the fun of cooking is experimenting and perfecting things too you and your families preferences.

I like thick tender jerky, not the over dried leather that some places pass off as jerky, so that's how I make it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky