Asian Pork Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
After seeing Steve H Steve H post last week on his thai jerky, I just knew I had to make some soon. I’ve made a modified version of this about 3 or 4 times now that I just love. It’s super cheap when compared to beef. I also like to incorporate some fish sauce that dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 would use for his jerky. This recipe is a mish-mosh of the two.

Asian Pork Jerky

3lb. Thinly sliced pork loin
3/4c. Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
2tsp. Sesame Oil
2tsp. Gochujang Paste
2tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce (Huy Fong Foods)
1tsp. Fish Sauce
3tsp. Brown Sugar
2tsp. Onion Powder
2tsp. Garlic Powder
2.5 tsp. Black or White pepper
1tsp. Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
Cure #1 (3lb batch is 3.4 grams)

Dehydrate at 160F. This takes me approximately 4 hours in my Excalibur. Drying times will vary.

I picked up a pork loin at the store on sale. The rib end will be used for tacos and the sirloin end I ended up slicing for pork chops. The center cut portion was halved horizontally and sliced thin for the Asian jerky.
8D088D36-B362-41FC-94E3-FD87D37E7215.jpeg

Combine all ingredients and marinate for 24hrs.
8BCBA4ED-CEA4-4E93-A389-DFD5324D4184.jpeg

Finished jerky. Every batch I have done is finished right at 4 hours. My slices are about 1/8” thick (Number 4 on the Chefs Choice slicer)
C4D34789-6F2D-42A8-9F13-285A7207AE83.jpeg

I always add more pepper flakes on a small batch before drying. These are the “Asian Reds” by Flatiron Pepper Co. They definitely amp up the heat but I keep coming back for more, guess I’m just a glutton for punishment.
02B66CB5-947E-40FD-B5F4-B9699AE9A2D1.jpeg

Looks really good Joe! I'm going to add the fish sauce and Gochujang Paste next time. That should add a different, and I bet. Better profile.

Reactions: xray
Looks really good Joe! I'm going to add the fish sauce and Gochujang Paste next time. That should add a different, and I bet. Better profile.

Thanks Steve, it sure is some good stuff. You could go more on the fish sauce but I’m pretty conservative with it. I use more of it when using beef.

That looks great. I’ve only ever made beef. I’m going to have give pork a try soon. You’re cutting across the grain and not with the grain, correct?

Thanks Sven, pork jerky is so much cheaper and when heavily seasoned, I don’t miss beef and it’s high price.

I’m cutting across the grain here, Steve is correct.

The muscle fibers aren’t as pronounced as you would see in an eye of round. I just slice the loin in half (horizontal) first and then make my thinner jerky cuts across the grain. You don’t need to halve it first, but I find it easier to slice on the slicer.

Also, I throw the meat in the freezer for about two hours to firm up, that makes your slices easier and more uniform.

Man, that's some good looking stuff right there Joe. I love jerky and need to get off my lazy but and get some made. Got pork loins as well as beef top sirloin in the freezers so lack of meat isn't gonna make a good excuse. I'm loving the flavor profile of this and it may be the one to get me moving.

Robert

Looks excellant !

Thank you Jim! It’s pretty good stuff and even better on the smoker.

Man, that's some good looking stuff right there Joe. I love jerky and need to get off my lazy but and get some made. Got pork loins as well as beef top sirloin in the freezers so lack of meat isn't gonna make a good excuse. I'm loving the flavor profile of this and it may be the one to get me moving.

Robert

Thanks Robert! It’s some really good stuff and it’s not overpowering on the heat. My wife could even handle it…that’s why I set two trays on the side to get the hot pepper flake treatment.

I'm not a huge Jerky eater, but that looks really tempting and tasty. Nice Job Joe.

Point for sure
Chris

I’m on board with this! Have some marinading overnight now. Just a few mods from this. Pretty pumped as I’ve never made jerky before.

Looking to see the finish Jeff, hard to believe you never made jerky before. It’s a great snack and so much cheaper than buying it.

Just now seeing this....

A lot of flavors going on in that jerk seasoning. Looks very interesting! Like!

Thank you for the like Inda, yeah it sounds like I emptied my cupboards of all my Asian ingredients and I probably did lol. It’s got a great flavor, savory to the max!

I'm not a huge Jerky eater, but that looks really tempting and tasty. Nice Job Joe.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris, I’ve been a big jerky eater all my life whether homemade or storebought. It’s definitely it’s own food group for me. My grandfather would make it a lot for me in his Ronco dehydrator, that’s how I got hooked, man I miss that stuff.

Looking to see the finish Jeff, hard to believe you never made jerky before. It’s a great snack and so much cheaper than buying it.
First 10 lbs is in the books!! Have 10 lbs of Jamaican Jerk pork jerky going tomorrow and a 1 lbs batch of good ole American bbq pork.
86B81A60-0574-48DF-9696-591346F88D98.jpeg
Heres a shot of a little of the Asian jerky finished.

First 10 lbs is in the books!! Have 10 lbs of Jamaican Jerk pork jerky going tomorrow and a 1 lbs batch of good ole American bbq pork. View attachment 635124Heres a shot of a little of the Asian jerky finished.

That looks pretty good Jeff, how did it come out for you? I’m interested in seeing the Jerk Jerky, that sounds delicious!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky