Need help on this flat iron steak.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
 I picked this up because it looked good at $4.18lb but now that I do some research it doesn't look like the other flat iron steak cuts I see posted around here.

These are cut at 1 1/8" thick, do you think these are truly flat iron steaks?

I have no idea why my photos won't rotate on here. I rotate them, crop them, tried editing them first. Saving file as a different name. Only thing that has worked is saving them as a .gif file but that makes them larger files to handle...

But about those "flat iron steaks"

Definitely not flat iron steaks!

More like chuck. I would cook them low and slow (unlike flat iron) to break down all of that connective tissue.

Smoke for three or four hours then sous vide at 135 for 24 hours.

Thanks for the quick reply Doug! I'm glad I didn't throw them on a hot grill for way to few minutes.

Unfortunately I don't have an SV yet, nearly bought one last week and now really regret not doing it. I'll figure out something low and slow though, just not on a work night. 

Doug is right, that is not flank steak.  It looks to be low grade chuck. IMHO: Honestly, if you do not have a way to smoke it slow, I would cube it and make some stew in the slow cooker...

Smoke ON!

- Jason

I'm sure you've got a lot of great flavor to work with!

My electric stove maintains a perfect 135 at the setting just below medium (for the particular burner/pot/volume combination) which is how I did the tests to convince me to buy the Joule. I love being able to make great meals out of cheap cuts of meat!

You may very well have flat irons there (definitely not flanks).  Grill just one of them up and see if it is tender.  If not, braise with beef stock and onions, then thicken the gravy with cornstarch. 

You may very well have flat irons there (definitely not flanks).  Grill just one of them up and see if it is tender.  If not, braise with beef stock and onions, then thicken the gravy with cornstarch. 

You think? I cook flat irons about one a week and have never seen one that looks like that!

I do have a smoker, Jason, no worries there. Just not a Sous Vide yet. I'll cook them low and slow and talk to the butcher at Winco and find out what kind of jack wagon they got runnin' round there.

Ray, I thought maybe they cut the same portion of meat but different but it doesn't explain that streak of gristle in the middle and how did they get it 1 1/8" thick cut (4 of them)

I think it's a rogue butcher apprentice.

I put a chicken in the pressure cooker instead. Spent too much time looking at these cuts to smoke dinner, lol.

I appreciate the help guys!!

You think? I cook flat irons about one a week and have never seen one that looks like that!

I do have a smoker, Jason, no worries there. Just not a Sous Vide yet. I'll cook them low and slow and talk to the butcher at Winco and find out what kind of jack wagon they got runnin' round there.

Ray, I thought maybe they cut the same portion of meat but different but it doesn't explain that streak of gristle in the middle and how did they get it 1 1/8" thick cut (4 of them)

I think it's a rogue butcher apprentice.

I put a chicken in the pressure cooker instead. Spent too much time looking at these cuts to smoke dinner, lol.

I appreciate the help guys!!
Yeah, it kind of threw me too.  Here is what I think of when I buy Flat Iron steaks.

I learned that Top Blade steaks are often called Flat Iron steaks, and they are VERY tender, except for the gristle down the middle.  Below is a pic of a Top Blade steak, which kind of matches the OP's picture.  Grill one and lets all see!  

I was at Winco today and didn't see any Flat Iron steaks, one of my absolute favorite steaks.  Picked up a couple of nice rib eyes though. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky