Need a Cornbread Recipe, or Two, or Ten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've never heard of such a thing. And I WANT SOME!

Reactions: noboundaries
Look up Duff Goldman on the food network. He did a show with corn bread and chuck chili. He did nothing but make corn bread at a high-end restaurant for 3 years straight. It's not just a recipe but cooking technique as well..... BEST EVER!

Look up Duff Goldman on the food network. He did a show with corn bread and chuck chili. He did nothing but make corn bread at a high-end restaurant for 3 years straight. It's not just a recipe but cooking technique as well..... BEST EVER!
Will do! Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Two non-negotiable requirements for cornbread, pre-heated cast iron skillet and bacon grease.

Try one of those 'dry' recipes with a pound of breakfast sausage mixed in.

She did preheat a thick glass baking pan for the first time. It appeared to work nicely. She doesn't like the taste of CI.

I do use bacon fat when I cook. I will absolutely use it when I make cornbread.

I’m late to the party but hunt down Alton Brown’s cornbread recipe. It’s all cornmeal, no flour, and it uses creamed corn. I’m a cornbread fiend and this is the best recipe I’ve come across thus far.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and recipes. I've got several recipes to try and several ideas I never expected. It definitely looks like the days of dry and flavorless cornbread are behind us.

My wife is not a CI frying pan fan at all, but I think I'm gonna get a CI loaf pan good for bread and cornbread. Time will tell if it works as well.

Ray

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Jiffy cornbread mix and add a little honey is what we grew up on. Its so cheap and you can dr it up to make it however you want add whatever you want, but jiffy as a base is always good. Crawfish cornbread with jiffy is awesome.

Crawfish Cornbread 1 box Jiffy (do not make according to directions on box!!!) 3 eggs 1 stick of butter, melted 1 cup chopped green onion 1 cup chopped white or yellow onion 1 can rotel tomatoes, drained 2 handfuls grated cheese of choice (I like Colby Jack or Pepper Jack) 1 lb crawfish tails (I coarsely chop mine) Mix all ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.​

@mike243 mad a cornbread salad for the Tennessee gathering last year that was bomb. A good way to use up leftover cornbread. Stuff was amazing. Maybe he'll share the recipe
Corn Bread Salad is so good. Always a hit when I take it.

I also big fan of Crawfish Cornbead. I always get ask for the recipe. This is mine:

Then there is Mexican Corn Bread that is very good. You can search and find many good recipes for it.

I'm late to the party, but fully agree with chopsaw chopsaw . We exclusively use masa harina, never corn meal or corn flour.
Nixtamalized corn tastes better (for our palettes), and is far more nutritious. If you hunt around, you can even find course massa harina if you want that more toothsome texture. Try looking for Tamal.

Fun anecdote: before the discovery of the Americas, the English word "corn" simply referred to the predominant grain of the region. When the Europeans brought back corn it grew so well everywhere, it became known as corn. Unfortunately, they didn't bring the nixtamalization process which is a problem because the vitamin B in corn is unavailable until it's nixtamalized. So when many people switched to eating corn in Europe, there were massive vitamin B deficiency problems (niacin specifically). Niacin deficiency causes pail skin, mental issues and sensitivity to sunlight. This widespread niacin deficiency is one of the theories on the origin of vampire legends.

So happy early holloween and you should be eating nixtamalized corn 😂.
Ps, hopefully food find this as interesting as I do. Sorry if this was too much if topic.

So happy early holloween and you should be eating nixtamalized corn 😂.
Ps, hopefully food find this as interesting as I do. Sorry if this was too much if topic.
Not at all. I had forgotten is was corn that caused it but knew the B deficiency/vampire thing. I take niacin daily. Proven cholesterol/triglyceride fighter.

Love threads like this. Always learn from them.

FYI Famous Dave's on Amazon $12.95 for 3 boxes prime shipping.

While we're at it, what is your favorite meal when serving cornbread? I think many folks would do chili but not us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky