My Friend hooked me up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Run it by your friend to be safe, but I don't think it would hurt it one bit.
I'd leave it out in the hot sun (might be difficult this time if year). Could also try baking it out at a low temp. Smells are volitile, so you are just trying to expedite the evaporation.

I have had the leather holders out in the sun periodically to allow the smell on the leather to dissipate to no avail. It has become weaker, but it is still there. Thinking on it off and on for a while, I finally figured out what I needed to do. I made a plastic sleeve insert from a vacseal bag to put inside the case. That worked well, but I poked a hole in the bottom of the first one when I went to put the needle in. So I took a small piece of paper towel and forced that in all the way to the bottom of the plastic sleeve with a Stainless Steel straw. Bingo! Now I can store the bone needles in the cases without the leather smell contaminating the surface of the bone.

IMG_20230601_141259.jpg

I have had the leather holders out in the sun periodically to allow the smell on the leather to dissipate to no avail. It has become weaker, but it is still there. Thinking on it off and on for a while, I finally figured out what I needed to do. I made a plastic sleeve insert from a vacseal bag to put inside the case. That worked well, but I poked a hole in the bottom of the first one when I went to put the needle in. So I took a small piece of paper towel and forced that in all the way to the bottom of the plastic sleeve with a Stainless Steel straw. Bingo! Now I can store the bone needles in the cases without the leather smell contaminating the surface of the bone.

View attachment 666919
Great idea!

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky