My First Spatchcock Chicken - w/QView.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluto

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
So I've been wanting to try this for awhile now, and Costco was selling 2 packs of 5-6 lb whole chickens for less than $1/lb, so I figured it was time.

I first made a lemon pepper brine with some kosher salt and peppercorns I had previously smoked to aid in the smoke flavoring. Next I spatchocked the chicken, into the brine she went for 12 hours, then into the garage fridge to air dry for a few hours. Fired up the smoker, lightly coated the bird with EVOO, made up a nice savory rub and applied an even coating all over.

I ran the Traeger on Smoke for an hour, then up'd it to 325F for almost an hour and a half. In the hopes of getting a crispy skin, I smoked it skin side down.

While the skin didn't get as crispy as I would have liked, the flavors were fantastic and the meat was super moist. Definitely going to be doing more.

Looks good. Let the Skin dry longer, 12-24 hours, and you should get what you are looking for...JJ

Nice looking bird! Spatching is one of my favorite ways to cook chicken.

I would run at 325* with smoke the whole time from start to finish. That with a longer drying time as Chef Jimmy mentioned will get the skin to crisp up. I do not brine mine, nor do I put oil on just dry spices. Nice and moist and crisp skin every time.

Looks good. Let the Skin dry longer, 12-24 hours, and you should get what you are looking for...JJ

Thanks JJ, I will give that a shot!

Nice looking bird! Spatching is one of my favorite ways to cook chicken.

I would run at 325* with smoke the whole time from start to finish. That with a longer drying time as Chef Jimmy mentioned will get the skin to crisp up. I do not brine mine, nor do I put oil on just dry spices. Nice and moist and crisp skin every time.

Thanks DS, with the Traeger smoke is kinda going the whole time, I just use the smoke mode in the beginning as it's all smoke and low heat, when running at 300+, it's mostly heat with a little smoke, but I will try as you and JJ suggest, I will likely skip the oil next time, and maybe pop in the AMNPS lit at both ends during the cook.

Chicken looks great. Can't believe you found chicken for that price at Costco. When you air dried the chicken did you hang it or was it sitting in a plate or something?

Looks great, Bluto!  That's a tasty lookin' bird for sure. 

Thx! I think it tasted as good as it looked!

Chicken looks great. Can't believe you found chicken for that price at Costco. When you air dried the chicken did you hang it or was it sitting in a plate or something?

Thx Budster, I was surprised myself, I got a 2 pack for less than $11. And I had it sitting on a platter skin side up.

looks great.

To get crispy chicken, after brining, you can leave the chicken uncovered in the fridge for 4 hours.  Also, a little olive oil on the cooking bird in the high heat will get the skin crispy.

Thx! I think it tasted as good as it looked!
Thx Budster, I was surprised myself, I got a 2 pack for less than $11. And I had it sitting on a platter skin side up.
Next time set the bird on wire rack, with something under it to catch the juices when you do the drying process. To be honest I very rarely dry my chickens, as they are usually a last minute meal! Turkey is a different story and I always do a overnight dry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky