My first kielbasa! Thanks to Couger78, Shannon127, and Chef Jimmy J

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snorkelinggirl

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 15, 2012
I hope everyone has had a great Christmas.  I had some extra time off from work at Christmas, so was able to do a sausage project I've wanted to do for some time: homemade Kielbasa!   This was my first time doing this, so I used lots of guidance from SMF.  I closely followed the recipes and process outlined by Couger78 and Shannon127, respectively, on these fabulous threads:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121330/krautwurst-kielbasa-with-many-pix/20#post_1094489

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129813/kielbasa-start-to-finish-for-chef-jimmy

Thank you Kevin and Shannon for such great posts!  Also thank you Chef Jimmy J, who fielded a couple of emergency questions via PM last night regarding blooming and resting of the kielbasa.

Here is 3 1/2 lbs pork shoulder and 2 lbs lean beef chuck, all cubed and ready to go.  I mixed it with 7 grams (1 1/4 tsp) Cure #1, 36 grams salt (~ 1.2%), and 31 grams of sugar.  I let it cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.

I ground the cured meat along with 3/4 lb of cubed pork back fat through my medium plate (10 mm) one time. Then gave it another few hours of cure time in the refrigerator before continuing.

And mixed it with 6 grams freshly ground black pepper (~ 2 grams/kg), 6 grams garlic powder (~ 2 grams/kg), and 3 grams of marjoram (~ 1 gram/kg).  I also mixed in 1/2 cup of nonfat dry milk powder and 1/2 cup of ice water.  Hand mixed until very sticky, then loaded it into my stuffer.

Stuffed into medium hog casings.  I couldn't find 38 mm casings at short notice, so just used my medium hog casing shorts, which vary between 32 - 36 mm.

Hung them on smoke sticks in a 100 deg smoker for 1 hour to dry before applying smoke.  Smoked using oak and apple pellets in the AMNPS for 1/2 hour at 100 deg F, 1 hour at 120 deg F, and 1 hour at 140 deg F.

Here they are out of the smoker.

And into a 165 deg F water bath to poach for about 17 minutes for an IT of 153-155 deg F.

Cold water showered, then onto racks on the kitchen counter to bloom for 3 hours.

And ready to be refrigerated overnight.

Sliced one up this morning to try it out after it rested overnight.  Yum!!  Awesome flavor, should go great with braised cabbage for dinner tonight.  My fat came out a little coarser than the picture posted by Shannon, so I'm not quite sure if my texture is perfect for Kielbasa or not.  Any Kielbasa experts reading this, please let me know what you think about the texture.

So, yay!  My first kielbasa.  Thanks again to the experts who made this possible!

Thanks for reading, and Happy New Year all!

Clarissa

Last edited:
All I can say is it looks awesome.............................. Very nice job

Although I'm not an expert by any means I'd say you did an excellent job. They look great and as it seems taste great to you so that's really what matter's :)  I just did some kielbasa a few weeks ago using a spice packet cant remember the name of it though. I think i'm gonna try your version next time around. Congrats on your first Kielbasa and Thanks for sharing.

Aloha

All I can say is it looks awesome.............................. Very nice job
Thank you so much, Joe!  I really appreciate you stopping by, and giving your expert opinion!

Have a great day and Happy New Year!
Clarissa

WOW, those are gorgeous!!
Thank you, JC, I really appreciate the compliment!!  Happy New Year!
Clarissa
Looks great here. Good job, now u will soon find out how fast 5.5lbs goes really fast once family and friends get a taste!
It is a little embarrassing how much I've eaten already....I am burping smoky garlic burps!
biggrin.gif
   And you are right, I don't think any of this kielbasa will make it into the freezer, I think it will all be gone by mid-week!  I'll have to make another batch soon.

Thanks so much for checking out my post, and for the compliments!  Happy New Year!
Clarissa

Although I'm not an expert by any means I'd say you did an excellent job. They look great and as it seems taste great to you so that's really what matter's :)  I just did some kielbasa a few weeks ago using a spice packet cant remember the name of it though. I think i'm gonna try your version next time around. Congrats on your first Kielbasa and Thanks for sharing.

Aloha
Thank you so much, Smoker!  I highly recommend this version, which I pulled pretty much directly from the posts by Couger and Shannon. The formulation most closely resembles Couger's version, except I left out the mustard seeds and soy protein, and cut the water in half to compensate for leaving out the soy protein.  You won't be disappointed!

Happy New Year!
Clarissa

It looks mighty tasty!. The coarseness of the fat is a personal preference. Shannon and I make Kielbasa Krajana (cray-ana), Chunky Style. So the meat and fat are very visible when the Kielbasa is first out of the smoker and cold. When you cook it the fat will melt, moistening the meat and the meat will look quite lean. So nothing to worry about, you did a great job. The three hour timing is a guideline. As long as you don't raise the smoker temp above 170°, you can smoke as many hours as you like. The Kielbasa will develop the deeper Mahogany/Orange color that is classic and take on a bit more smoke but not be overpowering. Just something to think about for the next run...JJ

It looks mighty tasty!. The coarseness of the fat is a personal preference. Shannon and I make Kielbasa Krajana (cray-ana), Chunky Style. So the meat and fat are very visible when the Kielbasa is first out of the smoker and cold. When you cook it the fat will melt, moistening the meat and the meat will look quite lean. So nothing to worry about, you did a great job. The three hour timing is a guideline. As long as you don't raise the smoker temp above 170°, you can smoke as many hours as you like. The Kielbasa will develop the deeper Mahogany/Orange color that is classic and take on a bit more smoke but not be overpowering. Just something to think about for the next run...JJ
Thank you, Chef!!  I really appreciate all of the help by PM, and for giving me your expert opinion on the kielbasa texture!  I'm relieved that it is OK.  I'll see how the smokiness level is after the sausage mellows another day, and adjust my smoking time accordingly on my next run.  Which won't be very far off!  This kielbasa is amazingly good....so much better than store-bought brands, which up until now was my only experience with kielbasa.

Thank you again for all of your help!  Happy New Year!
Clarissa

Aloha Chef,

I agree!  We prefer our sausage chunky LOL! for exactly the reason you mention when cooked the fat melts and the sausage looks lean but its juicy! The portuguese sausage we make uses a 1/2" grinder plate. I love the look of Clarissa's Kielbasa and will be trying it very soon.

Thanks for the info Clarissa will post up when I give it a try. Also wanna try Foam's Boudin being that we eat alot of rice here might as well add a sausage to the mix hahahahahaaa!

Aloha

Looks great. Going to have to try that recipe. Just finished my frige smoker. Got it seasoning now so im ready to smoke some deer sausage tomorrow. Keep up the good
work.

It looks great but I can't comment on the quality or coarseness without trying it. Send me a few and I'll let you know.

No need to thank me.

Disco

Looks great. Going to have to try that recipe. Just finished my frige smoker. Got it seasoning now so im ready to smoke some deer sausage tomorrow. Keep up the good
work.
Hi Chezey,

Thank you, I think you will really like it.  And good luck with your inaugural frig smoker run!!  I'm looking forward to seeing your deer sausage post!

Happy New Year!
Clarissa

It looks great but I can't comment on the quality or coarseness without trying it. Send me a few and I'll let you know.

No need to thank me.

Disco
You Canadians are so self-sacrificing!  LOL.  Thanks for being willing to step up and take one for the team, Disco!

Happy New Year!
Clarissa

Very nice looking sausage! Personally I like the coarse texture. If you have any left over, pork shots are excellent and fun to make.
Hi Todd,

Thank you!!  After trying it, I think I prefer the coarse texture too.  I've seen posts on pork shots but haven't read the posts yet.  Based off of your recommendation, I'll have to go and check some of them out.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Clarissa

Clarissa for President! I mean it makes perfect sense to me. Every notice everything she does looks perfect and she makes it looks so simple. So I think I am going to do a write in the next election!

I hate to say this, but the only kielbasa I have used is Hillshire Farms. Kielbasa is a common substitute in Jambalaya and Gumbos, when out of the bayou region.

Clarissa it really looks really good to me, you just make it all look so simple and I know better.

I really appreciate you sharing.

Clarissa for President! I mean it makes perfect sense to me. Every notice everything she does looks perfect and she makes it looks so simple. So I think I am going to do a write in the next election!

I hate to say this, but the only kielbasa I have used is Hillshire Farms. Kielbasa is a common substitute in Jambalaya and Gumbos, when out of the bayou region.

Clarissa it really looks really good to me, you just make it all look so simple and I know better.

I really appreciate you sharing.
As much as I hate to argue with someone I respect, Foamheart is absolutely wrong on this. I am not an expert on American politics but in Canada, being talented, generous of spirit and honest will disqualify you from any political office. 

Sorry, Foamheart and Clarissa. It is just the nature of things.

Disco

As much as I hate to argue with someone I respect, Foamheart is absolutely wrong on this. I am not an expert on American politics but in Canada, being talented, generous of spirit and honest will disqualify you from any political office. 

Sorry, Foamheart and Clarissa. It is just the nature of things.

Disco
Doesn't mean its supposed to be that way.

Looks pretty good to me!
Hi Shannon,

Thank you very much for stopping by and reading my post!   I really appreciate you sharing your expertise on kielbasa via your post on this...I must have read through your post a hundred times looking at your recipe and process.  Thanks so much for your compliment, and for making this post possible.

Happy New Year!

Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky