A tri tip smokes in PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Well as part of my bachelor week, I figured I’d try smoking and reverse searing a tri tip.

Recently my local Wegmans started carrying them but basically they’re not too common around here. I paid $12 a lb....but with wife being away, the grocery bill is cut in half so I’m basically feeding myself. I’ll be eating this the rest of the week for what I paid.

It’s super windy here today, so I’m pulling out the Masterbuilt gasser and using the AMTPS. The plan is to smoke with hickory pellets to an IT of 120 then reverse sear.

As for the sear, it’s still up in the air. Grill or Harbor Freights weed burner aka flamethrower? I recently watched the “Best sear tournament” on Sous Vide Everything’s Youtube channel. The flamethrower won. I might give it a try but for the $30 I spent, I may go the safe route and finish on the grill.

The tri tip, almost 3lbs.
EE783CBB-02BC-4E7B-9D0D-4081E272E695.jpeg

Rubbed with SPOG & Rosemary. Back in the fridge until later.
D5F1CA3B-98AF-4AFC-9C81-7F06B3AE27A3.jpeg

Stay Tuned.

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
$12! wow, that's steep. I'm getting tri-tip for about $3/lb at Cash and Carry, although it is not trimmed like yours. However, I like keeping the fat to use when I grind other cuts for burger.

Looking forward to how your cook turns out

$12! wow, that's steep. I'm getting tri-tip for about $3/lb at Cash and Carry, although it is not trimmed like yours. However, I like keeping the fat to use when I grind other cuts for burger.

Looking forward to how your cook turns out

Yeah this definitely isn’t something I’d normally buy. I guess someone is buying them if they could charge that much...but I just wanted to say I’ve tried one.

I probably could have bought a nice waygu steak for that price.

Seriously that $12 lb is definitely way more than we get them for here in So Cal. They have them on sale from time to time at my local market trimmed for $2.99 lb. It does look like a nicely marbled piece. I have to believe that tasted great. I still want to try one more time with that brisket style cook but my normal method is to just smoke until 133 IT and then pull and rest for 30-45 minutes wrapped in foil. They are so good that way.

George

Well that is one good looking piece of meat, that's for sure!!
Can't wait to see the finish!
Al

I’m thinking you bought yourself a prime there. At least they charged you prime price. That a very nice looking cut. I agree with George. I cook to the internal temp I want and allow a couple degrees carry over to reach 135.

Nice looking TT you got. That's about the same price we see around here when you can find them. It's also the reason I haven't done one yet.

Chris

Im in! That one sure looks like a good one. Looking forward to see the end result. One other thing is that I have found they are best cooked at 300-325 pit temp to desired IT. There is no need for a separate sear at all as it gets a perfect crust at that temp and texture and doneness is spot on in the middle. They take about 45 minutes like that which is a lot faster than one would expect.

I’m thinking you bought yourself a prime there. At least they charged you prime price. That a very nice looking cut. I agree with George. I cook to the internal temp I want and allow a couple degrees carry over to reach 135.

This was labeled choice. They are all individually cryo-packed. I just picked the one that looked the nicest.

I wish I could get them under $5/lb. I would make a lot more and experiment a lot more.

Nice looking TT you got. That's about the same price we see around here when you can find them. It's also the reason I haven't done one yet.

Chris

Thanks Chris, only reason I bought this is the wife isn’t here to look at the receipt plus I’ll eat the evidence lol....Definitely a one and done deal unless they fall out the back of a truck or become substantially cheaper.

That's a damn shame to have to pass up tri tip because of the price. Maybe we can figure out a way to cryo pack that is come cold stuff and ship it from here in California. Of course the shipping would probably run the same as the extra cost locally. Bummer though. I hope you enjoy that tri tip to the fullest extent possible.

George

Looks Great, Xray!!!:)
Like.
I was waiting for them to start selling in PA, but if they want $12 for them they can keep them!!
I won't even pay that for Prime Rib or Beef Tenderloin!
Dang Crooks!!

Those SV guys from Brazil are Great---I learned a lot from them!!

Bear

Well here’s the final pictures:

Served with cucumber/tomato salad and grilled garlic bread.
B787FBFB-A655-4097-8926-BFDAC6E15FB1.jpeg

And the obligatory Genny shot (you’d think I was working for them.
1E6E2C81-4E94-4E4B-9CBB-B3D6579112AA.jpeg

Here’s the leftover juices. I cut the rest of the tri tip up after eating supper, it was rested over 20 minutes and still plenty juicy. What you didn’t see was that I had an extra piece of garlic bread that I mopped up with.
9EBEE626-EF44-4DD0-B181-528976928C94.jpeg

I thought it was delicious. I could have used a little more doness, but I’ll eat rare over medium-well all day.

Definitely won’t buy these a lot unless I find them cheaper....BUT if I’m cooking for a few people, I would make this again. It easily feeds 4-5 people so that’s worth buying for instead of cooking individual steaks.

All in all, I’m happy with what I made. So West Coast guys, how’d I do?

Thanks for looking

Joe

Looks Great, Xray!!!:)
Like.
I was waiting for them to start selling in PA, but if they want $12 for them they can keep them!!
I won't even pay that for Prime Rib or Beef Tenderloin!
Dang Crooks!!

Those SV guys from Brazil are Great---I learned a lot from them!!

Bear

I bought one for the sake of trying one. Wegmans was the only place I found them.

Here’s what we could do Bear. We’ll buy them cheap from our SMF friends, have them shipped here and call them “Pocono Raceway Roasts!” Lol. We’ll turn it into a East Coast thing. Maybe people will pay more because they’ll be buying into the experience...I’m totally kidding by the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky