My 3rd butt ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LuckyDutch

Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Oh well, here we go. I smoked my first Boston Butt on my Weber 22 Saturday last week (or was it Sunday.....). Came out ok. It was a small 4lbs butt and took me about 13 hrs !! I was using the Weber charcoal basket and could not keep the temperature. After the stall, I finished the butt in the oven and took it out at 205...... tender as can be, the family loved it.
IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

Yesterday I made some adjustments. I bought a few cheap disposable grill "toppers" (~$1.79 at publix) and folded them so that I could use them as a screen between coals and waterpan (under butt). Putt too may coals in the kettle, and lit too many, and the kettle ran way too hot (275-300, probe next to meat, probably could have done something about it but I was eager to see how the butt came out). Early this morning (never give up, never surrender) I went back to Publix and got myself a new BB (and some ribs and drumsticks, Superbowl tomorrow after all)..... and started the Weber around 8:00 AM. I now also inserted additional aluminium foil sheets, to shield the meat even better. My problem now is that I am stalled at 153-154 with the temp next to the meat at 260-300.... I will pull the foil and see whether things improve.... I AM RAMBLING, I know. I have learned a lot from this site in the few days after joining, including: 1) there is not one single method/technique that works better than any other, and 2) it's done when it is done !!

I'll be looking at buying a dedicated smoker soon so I will be asking for advice in the near future :)

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

Last edited:
Oh well, here we go. I smoked my first Boston Butt on my Weber 22 Saturday last week (or was it Sunday.....). Came out ok. It was a small 4lbs butt and took me about 13 hrs !! I was using the Weber charcoal basket and could not keep the temperature. After the stall, I finished the butt in the oven and took it out at 205...... tender as can be, the family loved it. Yesterday I made some adjustments. I bought a few cheap disposable grill "toppers" (~$1.79 at publix) and folded them so that I could use them as a screen between coals and waterpan (under butt). Putt too may coals in the kettle, and lit too many, and the kettle ran way too hot (275-300, probe next to meat, probably could have done something about it but I was eager to see how the butt came out). Early this morning (never give up, never surrender) I went back to Publix and got myself a new BB (and some ribs and drumsticks, Superbowl tomorrow after all)..... and started the Weber around 8:00 AM. I now also inserted additional aluminium foil sheets, to shield the meat even better. My problem now is that I am stalled at 153-154 with the temp next to the meat at 260-300.... I will pull the foil and see whether things improve.... I AM RAMBLING, I know. I have learned a lot from this site in the few days after joining. At least I have learned a few things..... mainly, 1) there is not one single method/technique that works better than any other, and 2) it's done when it is done !!

I'll be looking at buying a dedicated smoker soon so I will be asking for advice in the near future :)View attachment 352546
It will stall at that temp for an hour or so, you just have to be patient. It will eventually come up, make sure the temp is at 170 for pulling and 160 for slicing! ENJOY!!

Lucky, don't worry to much about your temps. Butts are very forgiving and can take 260 to 300 easily. When I use my kettle for smoking I usually use the snake method. It basically means you line your coals up two to three wide, then add a second row on top minus one set of coals, then add a third row on top of that minus another set of coals. So it ends up looking like a pyramid going around your charcoal grate. Leave a gap of about 4" from the beginning of the snake and the end. Lit one end, and let her rip. If only using two deep omit the third row. If my description has you really confused just use the search function on the snake method. Ribs can also take the heat fairly well. I usually smoke everything around 250 to 260. One more note, sometimes smaller butts(or any cut of meat) can be a tougher cook.

Chris

Reactions: LuckyDutch
Chris, Thanks. I indeed checked the snake method out as well and it might well be my next attempt (like... tomorrow for the ribs :) ). Cheers and .... go Panthers

It looks pretty good to me! Like!

I also agree with gmc2003 about the higher temps. I smoke a lot of meats at 275F with excellent results.

It looks pretty good to me! Like!

I also agree with gmc2003 about the higher temps. I smoke a lot of meats at 275F with excellent results.
Could have been the cut of meat too. Was in the freezer for a little while.......

#3 is coming out in a second and smells/feels amazing !! Live and learn... ;)

Update:

The third butt came out great !! When it reached 160 IT, I tightly wrapped it in a few layers of foil and put it back on the rack in the Weber which I pushed to 400-450 by opening op the vents. Probably took an hour or so before it reached 207 IT. After removing it and letting it rest for another 30-45 minutes, I pulled the pork which smelled and tasted outstanding.

IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

Last edited:
Job well done! You sure are learning a lot about your Weber grill and how to use charcoal in different ways. That being said, when time comes, I would highly suggest the Weber Smokey Mountain 18 or 22 model. These are pretty much set it and forget it for a charcoal/wood chunks smoker.
You do good bbq with what you have! Again, good job!

I’d second yankee’s recommendation of the WSM. I put on a shoulder picnic yesterday at 7am and didn’t touch the smoker until about 1pm when put two chickens on for dinner. Hung a couple ceiling fans in the interim, then relaxed with a cold one after I got dinner on. Stress free smoking - like it should be!

Good looking pics!

Reactions: LuckyDutch
Awesome! Nicely done. Moist and good bark to get that smoke flavor deep into the PP.

Thanks. It turned out better than expected. The one that I did the night before had no bark whatsoever, did not have a good smoke flavor, and was very, very dry. Up to the next project.... chicken drum sticks

RAMBLING, I know. I have learned a lot from this site in the few days after joining, including: 1) there is not one single method/technique that works better than any other, and 2) it's done when it is done !!
#2 should be #1. You'll learn that from your family asking "is it done yet" or the other "when will it be done".
Rambling? Heck who here hasn't done that at one time or another. Going thru all of the pics of the butts you show. They all looked good to me. Nice crust, some good looking butts you had there. Points.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky