1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
  1. Mix up of brown and yellow compared to yellow for rub on pork butt,Is there a big taste difference when the meat is completed,smoked

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Most people don't taste the mustard over the smoke and rub. Brown or Dijon have a slightly more pronounced flavor but pleasant, not overwhelming in any way...JJ

3. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

+1 with jimmy. I use mustard all the time for my base to apply my rubs to. Rare to taste regular mustard. However I looked for different mustard with different flavors to try and capture it in the taste and so far I have only found one. I use a chipotle flavored mustard that will come through in pork and chicken. It is slight but the chipotle is there at the end with a hint of the mustard.

4. Yea I've always thought that cheap yellow is used b/c you are not going to taste it anyway, it helps rub stick to it so no real reason to over spend on mustard.

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I don't even use mustard anymore.
    The rub sticks to the moist meat without any other binders.
    Al

801driver and hillbillyrkstr like this.
  6. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

I’m on the same page. Waste of perfectly good hotdog condiments.

801driver likes this.