Mustard or no mustard with rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughboysigep

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Delhi, NY
I've been watching Pitmasters and have noticed they aren't using mustard with their rubs. I have always used mustard along with rubbing pork and beef (with good success). What are the pros and cons of both techniques???

you can get a thicker bark using mustard or another thick liquid as more rub will stick, the downside to me is it seals the meat some and might limit the smoke ring or the depth of smoke, I use mustard most of the time but apply the rubs lightly , I base some of my reasons on the studies that say to marinate food with any thing besides water in order to cut down on carcinogens that might cause cancer when grilling, the oils seal the pores I imagine

sometimes I use mustard and sometimes I don't, I really don't see much difference either way, I mostly use mes30 so not worried about smoke ring

My buddy uses mustard rubs on everything and his stuff is always great. I use it every now and then and never really noticed much difference on beef. I do like to use it on pork.

I rub butts while pretty wet out of the vacpak, and stick them in the fridge to dry out overnight. The sugar gets sticky and everything seems to work well. I have used mustard to the past, but it doesn’t seem to add much.

I usually just rinse the meat off then apply my rub while it's still wet.
Used to use mustard, but don't anymore.
Al

Since I don't use a heavy rub. The moisture of the meat is usually good enough to hold the rub on. So no mustard here.

Chris

I like using mustard when I do a Turkey. I mix the seasonings in with the mustard and spread it over entire bird. The mustard doesn't add flavor but it really keeps moisture inside the bird.

The mustard doesn't add flavor but it really keeps moisture inside the bird.

Sorry man, mustard does not do this. Neither does basting, misting, spritzing, mopping, water pan, etc. Injecting is the only way to get moisture INTO the meat.

There are MANY other things that will make a more significant impact on the final product than mustard for the rub.

Reactions: jokensmoken
There is another thing that a mustard rub improves, fried 'fishy tasting' fish. A little mustard rub on stripers and white bass before the cornmeal coating works very well.

Reactions: Hawging It
Depends on the Mustard. French's imparts very little taste. Dijon or Creole adds a nice flavor. You don't need it but don't hurt if you do...JJ

You won't catch me using mustard on anything ever. Yuck! Some people claim you can't taste it but I can. I'm open to other alternatives that help the rub bond with the meat without the unpleasant flavor addition.

Reactions: tshobbes
I tried mustard once. Since it wasn't adding anything to the meat, just making the rub stick, I never bothered with it again. My rub sticks real well to the moist meat every time, so I just bypass a messy step.
Gary
+1

You won't catch me using mustard on anything ever. Yuck! Some people claim you can't taste it but I can. I'm open to other alternatives that help the rub bond with the meat without the unpleasant flavor addition.
In place of mustard light rub of a neutral flavored cooking oil will help rubs "stick" better if your having that issue.
On pork butts I've used a bit of maple syrup or a bit of honey to help adhere my rub but they do change the flavor profile and might burn it you're a "hot and fast" guy...
I'm not so I have ne experience but have been told that some syrups and sugars burn more readily than others.

Reactions: smoking gun
I generally Apply Yellow Mustard before Rub, on Pork.
On Beef I use Lea & Perrins Bold before Rub.
Chicken I use either Olive Oil or Mustard.

I think my Rub holds on better.

Bear

I used mustard 1 time about 12 years ago. Haven't used it since. I have used honey or maple syrup on butts but anymore if I use anything at all it's a little olive oil.

Bearcarver, Smokin Al, good to see you guys are still here. It's been a while since I stopped by.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I’ve refrained from oil for fear of sealing up the pores and limiting smoke penetration ... anyone notice that?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky