Mustard or no mustard with rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used mustard 1 time about 12 years ago. Haven't used it since. I have used honey or maple syrup on butts but anymore if I use anything at all it's a little olive oil.

Bearcarver, Smokin Al, good to see you guys are still here. It's been a while since I stopped by.

Good to see you too, SG !!

Bear

Reactions: smoking gun
I've tried mustard. Didn't seem to make any difference to me. I do use a spray of oil sometimes on some thing to help dry seasoning stick- especially if I want an "herb crust" such as on a rib (ribeye) roast. "Worsey" works too. If you want to try something really different, try HORSERADISH! Don't be afraid to be generous with it, as it looses its heat and actually becomes sweet with a very nice tang. I think the tang has more to do with the vinegar in it. Dunno, but its good!

I’ve tried different cuts of meat with and without mustard. If you like to spritz your meat at all I recommend not using it. I think with mustard when you go to spritz it tends to let the rub wash away easier. If you apply the rub directly to the meat and let it dry brine for awhile it really bonds to the meat. I think this helps get the flavor of the rub deeper in the meat and builds a nice bark. But that’s just my opinion. I say try many different ways and see how you prefer it the most!

I've used mustard and mayonnaise before. Didn't like the results with either. Maybe some people can't taste the mustard but I can. If I'm going to use something to help the rub stick at this point I use BBQ Sauce. Does the same thing the mustard is supposed to do and doesn't taste like mustard. Win, win.

I’ve tried different cuts of meat with and without mustard. If you like to spritz your meat at all I recommend not using it. I think with mustard when you go to spritz it tends to let the rub wash away easier. If you apply the rub directly to the meat and let it dry brine for awhile it really bonds to the meat. I think this helps get the flavor of the rub deeper in the meat and builds a nice bark. But that’s just my opinion. I say try many different ways and see how you prefer it the most!
I have to concur with this in my experience as well. I don't use any mustard but I used to. I've also learned when spritzing less is better (I was washing the rub right off!) but I do spritz still when cooking ribs.

As far as other meats I just wash, dry excessive water off, trim & apply rub. Seems to be enough moisture to set the rub in about 5 minutes or so and that's working good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky