More Jerky, More Time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teejilla

Original poster
May 18, 2018
I have recently gotten into jerky big time. I make it in my electric smoker, and I've been making about 7 lbs each weekend (pre-cook weight.) That's 1 batch Saturday and 1 batch Sunday. This never makes it past Tuesday :) I have everyone hitting me up for jerky all the time!

I just upgraded my smoker by adding more rack capacity (same smoker, more racks), so I'm about to more than double my output!

My question to the jerkymakers - does anyone know if this will significantly increase my drying time? So far I've consistently done batches of 3.5 lbs. That takes me 6-8 hours. I'm wondering what I can expect if I up that 7 lbs.

As always, any insight is appreciated. Thanks all!

Reactions: dan the mano
I have recently gotten into jerky big time. I make it in my electric smoker, and I've been making about 7 lbs each weekend (pre-cook weight.) That's 1 batch Saturday and 1 batch Sunday. This never makes it past Tuesday :) I have everyone hitting me up for jerky all the time!

I just upgraded my smoker by adding more rack capacity (same smoker, more racks), so I'm about to more than double my output!

My question to the jerkymakers - does anyone know if this will significantly increase my drying time? So far I've consistently done batches of 3.5 lbs. That takes me 6-8 hours. I'm wondering what I can expect if I up that 7 lbs.

Yep.. more time because of more moisture.
Not much you can do besides pulling it out of there after a couple hours smoke and putting it or some in the oven.
The heat will be high on the bottom but it takes a long time to get the higher racks up to temp . You can try rotation of the racks every hour.. maybe you can leave more space between pieces for better air flow but that will decrease volume.

I agree with Johnny, Mo Meat = Mo Time.
But as you go along, you will learn what works the best for you and your batches.

Have them bring you meat, or donate to the pot.
You ain't the Welfare Office.

I smoke my meat a bit in the MES 30, then put it in a dehydrator to finish it up.

I think you could make a rack using 2 dowel rods to fit were the shelf is.Then get BBQ skewers to hang the meat.
I just did this last week.
Skewers
100_6874.JPG
Meat ready to hang
100_6875.JPG
That was 3 # of meat my MES40 looked empty
Richie

My question to the jerky makers - does anyone know if this will significantly increase my drying time? So far I've consistently done batches of 3.5 lbs. That takes me 6-8 hours. I'm wondering what I can expect if I up that 7 lbs.

hey hi , just a question here for you here... when done smoking ... do you vacuum seal? i have just found out ( ive been home for awhile and have done 70 pounds various recipes), anyways if you do , try this , place smoked jerky in a zip lock bag with seal positioned open and then place in vacuum seal bag and vacuum pack. wow the flavor was there big time , then you also have a bag already to use for carrying your jerky . also i find doing it this way .. the flavor stays there big time and also stiffens up there hardness too.

i use 3 Bradley with the auber PID ( they work great) ( these smokers are the manual type)i usually smoke for 2.5-3 hours .. then keep on for a total of 4 hours at 160 F. turns out good for me and friends.
also curious what kind of recipe are you using ? would you be willing to share ? and if so great thanks.. and if not .. i understand too

thanks dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky