Monterey Chicken and Smoked Bourbon Pecan Pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Happy Independence Day to the Americans and good evening non Americans. Bittersweet holiday for me. I'm a combat vet and love America but with severe PTSD I cower to fireworks. Hate them. I got out of Army in 2008 and haven't shot fireworks with my 4 kids since. So 2 sons and one daughter are at friends tonight so they can get their freedom on. Oldest daughter is a loyalist and won't leave dad to suffer alone. She's my favorite. So just me, wife and Shelby today. We had Monterey chicken, smoked bourbon pecan pies and loaded tater salad. I'll start with the pies.

Wife made these up and I smoked them at 350 for an hour using pecan
IMG_20200704_195333.jpg

i sipped some makers mark after she opened it
IMG_20200704_152401.jpg

after an hour off the smoker to cool
IMG_20200704_163659.jpg

smelled and tasted heavenly

Afterwards got the chicken seasoned
IMG_20200704_180354.jpg
IMG_20200704_163014.jpg

and onto the smoker to grill. Also put on 2 cast iron skillets my wife recently bought me coated in bacon grease to get heated while chicken grilled
IMG_20200704_181050.jpg

Once chicken hot 155 IT I put 2 in each cast iron pan and added half cup each of Puckett's spicy BBQ sauce in each skillet( it's a local restaurant in Nashville)
IMG_20200704_180404.jpg
IMG_20200704_184627.jpg

Let that go till they hit 165. I gtated fresh Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar. 4oz each. Cooked 10 slices of thick cut apple wood bacon and cut up some green onions. Took them off and added cheese and bacon and back on the grill to melt
IMG_20200704_185604.jpg
IMG_20200704_185902.jpg

just a couple minutes later and we were ready
IMG_20200704_190608.jpg
IMG_20200704_190617.jpg

Wife made some loaded tater salad. Taters, sour cream,cheese,bacon, onions. Maybe more I didn't ask. Plated up
IMG_20200704_191902.jpg

Was a delicious meal. Now I'm off to drink until my hearing doesn't work

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_190608.jpg
    IMG_20200704_190608.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 7
Looks great again Jake! Happy 4th to you as well. So sorry you have the issue with fireworks. Thank you for your service. Glad you had that awesome meal. Enjoy!

Mike

Reactions: TNJAKE
Those skillets look great! And the rest looks good too! Nice job

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks excellent Jake and very colorful. Good way to break in the CI pans. I always have a bottle or two of tajin on hand as a garnish on fresh fruit but have never used as a seasoning on meat I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Happy Independence Day my friend and thank you for protecting our freedoms.

Man that looks great!!
Thank you for your service. Most of us will really never understand what that must be like.

Really a nice piece of work Jake, Like! Bob and I crawled into bed right when the fireworks started, didn't hear a thing. RAY

Looks excellent Jake and very colorful. Good way to break in the CI pans. I always have a bottle or two of tajin on hand as a garnish on fresh fruit but have never used as a seasoning on meat I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Happy Independence Day my friend and thank you for protecting our freedoms.
Thanks Bob. I've used it on beef, shrimp and fish. It's great all around

Wow Jake. Simply a beautiful meal. No doubt it tasted great but from a visual perspective it just kinda jumps off the screen into your lap. Excellent job and kudos to the family that stuck with you.

Robert

Wow Jake. Simply a beautiful meal. No doubt it tasted great but from a visual perspective it just kinda jumps off the screen into your lap. Excellent job and kudos to the family that stuck with you.

Robert
Thanks Robert it sure was delicious.

Happy Independence Day to the Americans and good evening non Americans. Bittersweet holiday for me. I'm a combat vet and love America but with severe PTSD I cower to fireworks. Hate them. I got out of Army in 2008 and haven't shot fireworks with my 4 kids since. So 2 sons and one daughter are at friends tonight so they can get their freedom on. Oldest daughter is a loyalist and won't leave dad to suffer alone. She's my favorite. So just me, wife and Shelby today. We had Monterey chicken, smoked bourbon pecan pies and loaded tater salad. I'll start with the pies.

Wife made these up and I smoked them at 350 for an hour using pecan
View attachment 452491
i sipped some makers mark after she opened it
View attachment 452493
after an hour off the smoker to cool
View attachment 452494
smelled and tasted heavenly

Afterwards got the chicken seasoned
View attachment 452495View attachment 452496
and onto the smoker to grill. Also put on 2 cast iron skillets my wife recently bought me coated in bacon grease to get heated while chicken grilled
View attachment 452497
Once chicken hot 155 IT I put 2 in each cast iron pan and added half cup each of Puckett's spicy BBQ sauce in each skillet( it's a local restaurant in Nashville)
View attachment 452498View attachment 452499
Let that go till they hit 165. I gtated fresh Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar. 4oz each. Cooked 10 slices of thick cut apple wood bacon and cut up some green onions. Took them off and added cheese and bacon and back on the grill to melt
View attachment 452500View attachment 452501
just a couple minutes later and we were ready
View attachment 452502View attachment 452504
Wife made some loaded tater salad. Taters, sour cream,cheese,bacon, onions. Maybe more I didn't ask. Plated up
View attachment 452505
Was a delicious meal. Now I'm off to drink until my hearing doesn't work
Inspiring!

Looks great as always, had a drill Sargent in79 while in boot camp that had been in Nam, thunderstorm popped up out of no where, first time I ever seen somebody that suffered with it, broke my heart to see it, anybody that sez its not a real deal hasn't any common sense imo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky