Mold?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Time to ask the experts.
I made a batch of jerky just over a week ago. 3lbs total weight, meat and brine.
Is that mold?

Brine consisted of,
1/2 cup Low sodium soy
3tbs Worcestershire
1/2 cup purified water
1tb kosher salt
1t garlic powder
1/2t onion powder
1t fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup hatch chili marinade
4 grams of cure#1

Again the total weight came to 3lbs with a bit of manipulation of meat.
I mixed everything but the meat in a large ziplock until disolved then added the meat and mixed until coated.
I believe that it.

It was in the refrigerator for just over 24 house, massaged several times during.
I patted the extra liquid off and place the pieces in my dehydrator at 160 for about 6 hours. The pieces would slightly Crack but not break so I presumed they were done. I put them in ziplock bags with the top rolled open to cool on the counter. From there the baggies went in the fridge.
Now a little over a week later I see what appears to be mold on some of the pieces. One of the pictures looks almost like salt residue.
It has had a mild sour smell but I'm not sure if that is from the hatch chili and or Worcestershire.
Sorry for the long thread but I'm just getting into making jerky and certainly don't want to get anyone sick.
I would appreciate any advice, corrections and opinions to get me straightened out with this.
Best regards

Attachments

• 20221210_055221.jpg
    20221210_055221.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221210_055226.jpg
    20221210_055226.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221210_055232.jpg
    20221210_055232.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221210_055238.jpg
    20221210_055238.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221210_055243.jpg
    20221210_055243.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221210_055251.jpg
    20221210_055251.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Man. That's a tough call. Some looks like salt crystallization. But the one pic looks like mold spore. I don't believe the sour smell is from the ingredients.
I'd wait for more responses. But. I'd trash it.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
But the one pic looks like mold spore.
I thought the same .
From there the baggies went in the fridge.
From my experience you need air flow . Sealed in plastic has always promoted mold growth within a week for me .
I use pink butcher paper , or I have a tall tupperware container for pasta . The top swivels open . I use it for jerky and use the top like a vent .

In the first pic, it looks like excess fat globules. In the second pic, it looks like salt.

You could cut those portions off.

Thank you for the input. It's going on the trash. Lesson learned. No more storing it in sealed containers.
Oh darn, that give me a reason to grab some of the London broil that's on sale for $3.99lb and give it another go. Ive also got a eye of round roast in the freezer.
This time I'm thinking of added a touch of Carolina Reaper wing dust.
Thanks again.

Reactions: jcam222
This time I'm thinking of added a touch of Carolina Reaper wing dust.
LOL . I just buzzed up some reaper ferment for hot sauce . They need to invent a new word , because hot doesn't even begin to describe it . My goodness .

Be advised that it will continue to dry some when stored with air flow . Not a bad thing , just depends on how long it sits .

Also just want to clarify that I store mine in the fridge .

Right? A little goes a long way.

Good advice on the drying out, although the batch before this one was munched up pretty quickly. Not a problem.
Thank you for chiming in. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share.

Really cant tell what kind of mold by the pictures. Not a good idea store in a ziploock. It will hold moisture left in the jerky and you'll get mold growth on the surface. jerky is not shelf stable. Like chop said Butcher paper or a paper bag. keeps the jerky dry so mold doesnt grow on the surface. After a few weeks Ive had some jerky get some mold but it was white powdery mold. The jerkey was fine. Washed it off with some vinegar.... I'm still here

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky