Michigan's UP Sausage...Cudighi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
Anyone have a good recipe for this sausage? I've had it a long time ago. Great taste. I've heard that it calls for red wine in the ingredients. And the type of red wine will affect the flavor. Any "YOOPERS" out there with a family Cudighi recipe tucked away? This "TROLL" would be forever grateful.

Anyone have a good recipe for this sausage? I've had it a long time ago. Great taste. I've heard that it calls for red wine in the ingredients. And the type of red wine will affect the flavor. Any "YOOPERS" out there with a family Cudighi recipe tucked away? This "TROLL" would be forever grateful.

Never heard of it before. But it sounds good.

• 6 pound mix of lean pork and fatty trimmings
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1 C dry red wine
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 1 clove

• Cut pork into roughly 3/4″ chunks. Mix in 1 clove garlic, pepper, salt, and spices. Let sit, refrigerated, overnight, then partially freeze before grinding
  • Add 6 cloves garlic, cinnamon stick and clove to 1C wine, and simmer on stove for 20 minutes or so, then strain and chill. Top off to 3/4 C if it reduces too much.
  • Mix wine into meat with hands to create tacky sausage texture. Cook a small piece to check seasoning. Don’t bother stuffing into casings since you’ll be using it as patties.
  • (for the sandwiches) Form into patties and cook on grill or griddle, melting Mozzarella on top. Serve with red sauce and grilled onions/peppers in a hoagie roll.

Not sure if this is a accurate recipe.

Link has a bit of history of cudighi
Looks as if it is local modification of cotechino
Len Poli's site has two Italian cotechino recipes that might be helpful

Looks as if it is local modification of cotechino

IMO ALL of these famous local sausages are just a slight spin on an old recipe. Kinda interesting, looks like a pizza burger with good italian sausage. Sounds tasty!!! Will have to try this. Around here, brat burgers are a big thing. All local butchers sell brat loose for it. Done right they are better than hamburgers.

Reactions: JC in GB
A friend gave ma a couple packages for Christmas, it was really good so I asked fir the recipe:
Venison Cudighi

This spicy Italian sausage is an Upper Peninsula staple, and if you are like the guys from Michigan Wild, you enjoy utilizing your own venison and reliving memories from deer camp. Doug Latvala shares his favorite Cudighi recipe.

• 5 pounds venison
  • 5 pounds pork shoulder
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon clove
  • 1/2 teaspoon mace
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1–3 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes (depending on heat desired)
  • 1 cup Paisano sweet red wine
  • 1 cup water
Directions
Grind and mix pork and venison together.
Hand mix all seasonings, red wine, and water ingredients with the meat mixture. Let stand in refrigerator for 24–48 hours to marinate.
Package as patties, links or bulk, and freeze or use within three days.
Serving suggestion: Make patties and pan fry Cudighi, melting mozzarella cheese over the top. In a separate pan, sauté green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Warm up your favorite pizza sauce. Layer patty, sauce and vegetables on your favorite type of bun and enjoy!

Reactions: zwiller and DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky