Stuff my Uncle left to me....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
As y'all know, my wine making Uncle recently passed away. My cousin came into town for two weeks to help my Aunt go through his stuff and help her with the mountain of paperwork and such that she had to do with his passing. They sorted piles that were for members of the family. As a super taster, he left me his wine default scent training kit that is used to train sommeliers (Made in France)..
IMG_20240309_211907.jpg

IMG_20240309_211846.jpg

Also the red wine scent kit...
IMG_20240309_211902.jpg
IMG_20240309_211930.jpg

IMG_20240309_212026.jpg

A pair of port tongs...
IMG_20240309_212127.jpg

An Italian wine bottle corker...
IMG_20240309_213254.jpg

IMG_20240309_213305.jpg

Winery Technical guide book...
IMG_20240309_212246.jpg

Along with a stack of other expensive wine books.

But the most sentimental to me is the Warre's Vintage Port Label I saved for him from cleaning wine bottles for our first wine kit together....
IMG_20240309_213823.jpg

Very nice... it's the memories that come with those items that are most important!
And pass some of the knowledge on that you learned from him is a great tribute.

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Very cool stuff Keith, and you’ll treasure that for forever… and when you raise a toast… I know he will be on your mind and I am sure smiling down on you!

Very cool Keith. Now he'll always have a physical presence in your future endeavors.

Chris

Amazing Inda
I'm glad that you had him and that he had you.

Losing masters of the craft (whatever the craft is) is always hard. Harder when its family.

We acknowledge them in so many ways though.

Every single time I make a run of Pop's sausage, I think of that store that existed so many decades ago. If I turn to a Bearcarver recipe, I'm reminded not only of the man named John, but the things John did. And I didn't even know these fine men. Interacted with them a little here, but I pay homage to them every time I do something that they taught me.

What they taught me, they learned from someone.

And back on though the centuries.

Hopefully someday I'll influence someone new. I'll make a Bear Loaf or some Fassetts breakfast sausage and they'll get the recipe from me. They won't know the stories behind the food, but the food will live on.

indaswamp indaswamp - my french is so rusty it's almost not there anymore but - laissez les bon temps rouler, honore ton oncle mon ami.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Port tongs????
Please educate me.
The link provided explains port tongs nicely. One detail left out is the shape of most fortified wine bottles that are meant for long aging...

graham-s-2017-vintage-port_bottle_56.jpg

On top of the bulge in the neck is where the tongs are placed....cherry red hot. Port tongs will not work on a regular wine bottle.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky