MES 30"- Is it OK to smoke chicken, beef, and pork at same time ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red sled

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2017
Is it ok to use different kinds of meats at the same time in the smoker ?

If I'm smoking poultry, beef, and pork at the same time, which meat should be at the bottom, middle, and top ?

Or should I smoke one kind at a time so they should be done at the same time, and I'm not opening the door a bunch of times checking meat ?

I've said this before here, never cook chicken above anything else, with a done IT of 165 or so, any chicken drippings on other meats would require them to get up to 165 IT also, for food safety, which may make your meats dry out.

Unless you are cooking chicken above something like a brisket or a pork shoulder, something that needs to get above 165 IT to be done would be fine to cook below chicken.

Thanks for the replies. I'll put the chicken on the bottom rack.

Seasoned my new smoker yesterday per the instruction manual. Looking forward to the first cook today.

Wide Spread rule is no beck over hoof. Reasoning the process thru says it doesn't matter. The ambient temp in the smoker is going to be 180 + in most cases. That will be your surface temp on all meats in the smoker. Consequently any drippings will also be 180 +. At those temps the bacteria die instantly.
Have a look at post #10 from chef jimmyj
http://smokingmeatforums.com/thread...cross-meat-contamination.247595/#post-1572609

Reactions: nnifnairb
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky