MES 30 Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
UPDATE- Whe I was performing my test with the new limit switch the unit failed three times before I terminated the test. The fist uncommanded turn off was about three hours into the test. The second and third were after approx 30 minutes each. When I removed the old limit switch I did not see any obvious damage to the switch or the terminals/connectors. The Auber id due to arrive togay. My plan is to do the basic rewire and test it to see if that resolve the shut down problem. If that doesn't work I'll bypass the roll limit switch and test again.
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like a solid plan.
The behavior you describe sound like a failing limit switch but the other much rarer possibility is that the relay at the circuit board is acting up and getting stuck in an off position.
With the simple rewire and use of an Auber you cut that whole thing out of the mix so if it all works with the safety rollout limit switch in the mix then we know it was likely that relay or something else failing at the lower circuit board or hell even something failing within the upper MES controller.

The body construction is the strength of the MES, the electronics and electrical components are the weak spots.

I'm looking forward to what you find. I am confident you are almost there to fixing all your problems for a looooooong time :)

Yes, I believe the bottom pic is showing the connection to the heating element. This is where I simply disconnected the factory wires from the element and attached a new power cord to the element. The other end of the new power cord plugs to the Auber PID. Simple as that! Keep in mind that the temp probe of the Auber is dropped down thru the top vent of the Masterbuilt.

Yes, I believe the bottom pic is showing the connection to the heating element. This is where I simply disconnected the factory wires from the element and attached a new power cord to the element. The other end of the new power cord plugs to the Auber PID. Simple as that! Keep in mind that the temp probe of the Auber is dropped down thru the top vent of the Masterbuilt.
Thanks for the reply. If I connect a power cord directly to the heating element terminals, do I need a ground wire too? If so, where does it get attached? I guess this would eliminate the roll limit switch from the circuit. Any good way to get it back?

I've been using the Auber on my MES 40 Gen i for a little over 2 years, and never had any issues with it. Like said above the difference in operation is night and day. I wired the power cord directly to the heating Element, and I use it at least 2-3 times a month all year. I agree you're losing some potential protection if Temps get too high, but I took the gamble and it;s been paying off.

Reactions: Bearcarver
MJB- Thanks. Can you describe for me how you connected the Auber directly to your smoker'd heating element. Did you drill a new hole in the access panel? Did you connect the ground wire? Did you preserve the moisture barrier to the heater element terminals? Any additional info appreciated.

Everyone- Looks like I either drill rivets to remove the back panel and then figure out how to rewire with the roll limit switch in the circuit, or snip the power cord and reattach it directly to the heater terminals without a roll limit switch in the circuit. I'm leaning on the later- direct connect. Doesn't the Auber take the place of the roll limit switch? When it reaches the programmed internal temperature it cuts power to the heating element and won't turn it back on until the internal temp goes down below the programmed temperature (which won't happen with a fire). So the Auber acts just like the roll limit switch, right? If I'm right about that, then the only safety concern I have is a proper direct connect between the auber and the MES heating element terminals.

More experienced advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. If I connect a power cord directly to the heating element terminals, do I need a ground wire too? If so, where does it get attached? I guess this would eliminate the roll limit switch from the circuit. Any good way to get it back?
Yes, you use a 3 wire power cord which would have the two power cables and a ground wire. I drilled a hole thru the small access panel which covers access to the ends of the element. Simply disconnect the original wires from the element and attach the new power cord. Let me see if I can find some pics. Here's a pic of the new (14/3) power cord coming out of the smoker's lower access panel. Next to it is the retired original cord.

Per the 3rd pic below, the ground screw is seen between the two element terminals.
A6F27A22-AC79-430B-B6E4-CEC880381765.jpeg
433A625F-81FF-41AF-BE8E-A7A1A3448BD4.jpeg

A710517B-15A3-461E-833D-BFDE74D08535.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
The PC board is on the bottom of the smoker. Lay the smoker on its back. Drill out the rivets or remove screws if you have them. I used binder clips to hold the cover back in place or if you have sheet metal screws.

Reactions: MJB05615
I am not very good with small parts, electronics, etc. Originally dr k dr k talked me through it, and I had an electrician friend come over to cut the small hole for the Auber wire. He connected it directly to the Heating element, covered back up and that was it. Been working perfectly about 2 years. I'll always be grateful because this made it into a much better by far, Smoker. I later removed the MES control panel, I was able to do that myself, lol.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I am not very good with small parts, electronics, etc. Originally dr k dr k talked me through it, and I had an electrician friend come over to cut the small hole for the Auber wire. He connected it directly to the Heating element, covered back up and that was it. Been working perfectly about 2 years. I'll always be grateful because this made it into a much better by far, Smoker. I later removed the MES control panel, I was able to do that myself, lol.

Sorry for lack of progress report. Family member in hospital. Hope to be back to it in a couple of days.

Final update. I installed the Auber Wifi (AW-1520H) and connected it directly to the heating element with a ground (no roll limit switch in the circuit). Actually, the Aubur replaces the roll limit high heat function by shutting down the heating element if a high limit temp is ever reached (I have it set for 310 deg F.) This weekend I cooked an 8 Lb pork shoulder. Smoking time was around 8 hours at 275 deg F and once cooking temp was reached the Auber controlled the temp within +/- 1 degree for the entire cooking time. I was very impressed and look forward to using the Auber a lot more very soon. BTW, the app for the Wifi PID make programming it a very simple process, even for complex multi-step cooking programs.

mneder mneder Sounds great. Just went Auber this weekend (wifi as well) and was impressive but my connectivity with app stinks. Wondering if I got a dud. Does your stay connected/green?

zwiller zwiller , maybe you have but try uninstall of app, phone off and then on and load app again. I had a GPS app that was kinda funky like that, would work for awhile and then lose connectivity and haven't had issues since. It is possible you may have gotten the bad apple, worth a call to Auber, might walk you thru something missing. Good luck

Reactions: zwiller
Winterrider Winterrider That's actually a great idea thanks! I'll do that before reaching out. I have not found any complaints online about it so does not seem to be a common problem.

zwiller- Now that you mention it I also had wifi connectivity issues. The phone app would show that the Auber lost wifi connectivity and displayed 'reconnecting" just about every time I checked it. It would usually reconnect on it's own in less than 10 seconds and then update the app. I attributed this to the distance and walls between the Auber and the server, and I plan to switch the wifi network to my wifi extender, but haven't done so yet. I'll report after I do. It doesn't affect unit performance but it does affect my ability to monitor the cook remotely.

Reactions: zwiller
zwiller- Now that you mention it I also had wifi connectivity issues. The phone app would show that the Auber lost wifi connectivity and displayed 'reconnecting" just about every time I checked it. It would usually reconnect on it's own in less than 10 seconds and then update the app. I attributed this to the distance and walls between the Auber and the server, and I plan to switch the wifi network to my wifi extender, but haven't done so yet. I'll report after I do. It doesn't affect unit performance but it does affect my ability to monitor the cook remotely.
MANY THANKS. I am not sure what is normal here. Seems like it should stay connected all the time but realize it probably only updates the data depending the settings and is not "live". I think I set mine 2m/12hrs. So i bet it only needs to connect every 2m. Totally agree it does NOT affect the performance tho. Controller is rock solid. I am not a guy to look at my phone every minute but do expect that when I do look I will get accurate info and not having that yet. My issue is that it does not connect when outside and it really isn't that far away from router. It shows connected but temp 0 Celcius. Wifi light on controller long flashes. I tried an extender and did not help. Hoping reinstall fixes.

MANY THANKS. I am not sure what is normal here. Seems like it should stay connected all the time but realize it probably only updates the data depending the settings and is not "live". I think I set mine 2m/12hrs. So i bet it only needs to connect every 2m. Totally agree it does NOT affect the performance tho. Controller is rock solid. I am not a guy to look at my phone every minute but do expect that when I do look I will get accurate info and not having that yet. My issue is that it does not connect when outside and it really isn't that far away from router. It shows connected but temp 0 Celcius. Wifi light on controller long flashes. I tried an extender and did not help. Hoping reinstall fixes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky