• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MES 130B Temperature Sensor Issues

camper4lyfe

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 25, 2010
My wife bought me a 130B over the summer from a store that basically sells/auctions off Walmart and Amazon returned item pallets and stuff (yes, it's odd, and my wife is obsessed), but we were in between homes and didn't have the space to have it/use it until now. I was just trying to fire it up and as soon as I plug it in, I get an error. It'll stop after a couple seconds and I can turn it on, set the temp and time, and it'll start to heat up (I have a thermometer set up inside). After 3 or 4 minutes it'll error out and turn off. The display temperature never changes (currently reads 32 degrees). From my best guess, it's a bad temperature sensor.

The problem I'm running into is that I can't find ANYTHING on that sensor; no place to get one (other than directly from Masterbuilt), no directions on changing it. Nothing.

Does anyone have any information regarding this? I'm not against opening it up and trying to figure it out if I have to, but if someone has gone through this already and has some information on it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'd Check with tallbm tallbm
He'll probably see my link here, and show up to the rescue.

Bear

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I’d love that amazon return thing too. I’d buy way to much. Someone on here will guide you to replacing the faulty unit with a PID controller I’m sure.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
You need to warm the inside of the smoker 32 is way to cold,use a hair dryer or propane torch that maybe all it needs
Richie

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
You need to warm the inside of the smoker 32 is way to cold,use a hair dryer or propane torch that maybe all it needs
Richie
That is what I am thinking too, which is why I asked about the error code. If it is EAA1, then yep, it is cold and needs warmed up.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That is what I am thinking too, which is why I asked about the error code. If it is EAA1, then yep, it is cold and needs warmed up.

And if it says "EAJ", that means "Eat At Joes", because it's too damn cold out to smoke.

Just kidding---Never gets that cold!

Bear

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
And if it says "EAJ", that means "Eat At Joes", because it's too damn cold out to smoke.

Just kidding---Never gets that cold!

Bear

:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: That's a good one Bear!

Yep, never too cold nor too hot to smoke.
Yet, it can be too windy or too rainy to smoke.

camper4lyfe

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 25, 2010
I believe it was EAA1. It warmed up to 190 inside, though, according to my thermometers. What exactly do I need to warm up?

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
I believe it was EAA1. It warmed up to 190 inside, though, according to my thermometers. What exactly do I need to warm up?
Heat up the cabinet, if you are getting 190 F on the display panel then cold (below 32F) isn’t your problem.

camper4lyfe

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 25, 2010
Heat up the cabinet, if you are getting 190 F on the display panel then cold (below 32F) isn’t your problem.
It’s showing 32 on the display. My stand alone thermometers are showing 190+ after multiple resets.

I’m going to check and make sure everything is properly connected then try the preheat idea.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Is this the first time you have tried to start the smoker or have you had it running previously?

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
So that rules out burnt wires, if after checking out connections and trying the hairdryer trick, if your ambient temperature is below 32F, I’m guessing a call to Masterbuilt would be your next step. You might want to bring the smoker inside and let it warm up and also make it easier to check the connections. With my units you will have connections at the control panel and the power circuit board(access through the bottom) and also it can’t hurt to check the heating element. Good luck.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Okay, so the inside warms up to 190F but the display still shows 32F.
That sounds more like a controller/thermocouple issue.
If I remember correctly, on the 130B, the chamber thermocouple is integrated with the controller.
You'll need to contact Masterbuilt customer service with the ultimate goal of them sending you a replacement controller.
Or, you could go the Auber PID controller route as jcam222 suggested above.

camper4lyfe

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 25, 2010
I'm about over Masterbuilt. I contacted them via email through their site, got an automated reply saying they'll be in contact within 2 business days. 11 days later I finally get an email back stating that "I would recommend disconnecting the power circuit board to allow the component to reset", and that they were unable to locate the product registration.

I can't register the product because I don't have a receipt (it was a gift). Awesome.

It sounds like PID is the way to go at this point because I have zero interest in giving Masterbuilt any of my money, if that's what they call customer service.

camper4lyfe

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 25, 2010
Now that my little temper tantrum is over, and the weather warmed up a touch, I spent a little more time with my smoker. I set up a small space heater in front of it to warm up the box, hit the temperature probe with a lighter, plugged the unit it, and fired it up. No issues.

It appears that the cold-bloodedness of this unit was just tearing its head. It’s definitely not ideal as far as design goes, as I’m sure most have figured out, but it’s workable now that I know the secret handshake.

I’m still really disappointed in Masterbuilt’s customer service, but at least for now, their product is serviceable

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.