Memorial Weekend Menu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
This weekend, as you remember those who gave their all, and host a glass to their sacrifice, what's on your menu?

Dessert is all I've got so far; a Key Lime Pie, made with real Key limes from FL. I have great memories of my first taste when we flew into NAS Key West. Some of those friends will be remembered this weekend.

Fair winds.

Ray

20230526_113559.jpg

Great looking pie.
Since I missed Law Enforcement Appreciation week a couple of weeks ago....I have a pork butt for pulled pork and gonna do a pan of Dutchs beans for the LEO across the street from me.
And to take to my folks I have planned a pork loin two ways and gonna do some potatoes.

Jim

Ray, that pie looks incredible, great work. I'll be spinning a Rib Roast Sunday. Monday we're having an All American meal, Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, very simple, lol. Debating whether to cook on the Charcoal or the gasser.

Reactions: noboundaries
Pie sure looks good. It’s a fav of mine. I’ll be working on pastrami , butts, beans, green beans and something I’m dreaming up as an app to be named deconstructed poppers. I’ll also make homemade dressing for the Reuben’s and dip into my 4 gallon crock of kraut.

Delicious looking start Ray.
Thanks. Bill. The pre-bake filling was yummy.

Great looking pie.
Since I missed Law Enforcement Appreciation week a couple of weeks ago....I have a pork butt for pulled pork and gonna do a pan of Dutchs beans for the LEO across the street from me.
And to take to my folks I have planned a pork loin two ways and gonna do some potatoes.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Sounds like you're all set to bust the belly. And any day is a good day to remember and appreciate those who serve us without question.

Ray, that pie looks incredible, great work. I'll be spinning a Rib Roast Sunday. Monday we're having an All American meal, Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, very simple, lol. Debating whether to cook on the Charcoal or the gasser.
Thanks, Mike. That all sounds great.

Pie sure looks good. It’s a fav of mine. I’ll be working on pastrami , butts, beans, green beans and something I’m dreaming up as an app to be named deconstructed poppers. I’ll also make homemade dressing for the Reuben’s and dip into my 4 gallon crock of kraut.
Thanks, Jeff. That's an ambitious menu sure to spark many smacked lips.

Great looking pie.
I have a no-bake version that I make and is pretty good.

Thanks, 02. I've made no bakes, stovetop custard bakes, and now this semi-cheater version that has a baked crust with a filling of condensed milk/Greek yogurt/Key lime zest and juice with a short bake to set. We'll see.

Thanks, 02. I've made no bakes, stovetop custard bakes, and now this semi-cheater version that has a baked crust with a filling of condensed milk/Greek yogurt/Key lime zest and juice with a short bake to set. We'll see.
The recipe I have uses Pasteurized eggs, that is how it does no-bake with eggs.
You can get them at Wally World and probably other stores.

No plans period. I may have to work on Monday if the winds drop down so we can spray the beets. Weeds are getting to the touch me now.
Normally I participate with the local Veteran's Council for remembrance day ceremonies.

No plans period. I may have to work on Monday if the winds drop down so we can spray the beets. Weeds are getting to the touch me now.
Normally I participate with the local Veteran's Council for remembrance day ceremonies.
Understood.

Sometimes a quiet thought is the greatest thank you.

Not sure what we'll be doing. Some very close friends, really family, just closed on their new house and are moving in this weekend so we'll be helping them. Now that gives us 2 reasons to celebrate if we can find the time...

It's gonna be too crappy to fire up anything but the oven most of the weekend and into the week so the chili I defrosted will make for some nice rainy day chili dogs Sunday or Monday. Heading out to a local Norfolk brewery today to meet friends and toast our fallen shipmates. That will have to do for any festivities. :emoji_flag_us:

Not sure what we'll be doing. Some very close friends, really family, just closed on their new house and are moving in this weekend so we'll be helping them. Now that gives us 2 reasons to celebrate if we can find the time...
A great way to spend the weekend, Charles.

I’m having our little gathering tomorrow so smoking today. Have 5 pastrami points, 2 butts, full pans of green beans and a spin on smokin peachey smokin peachey beans rolling in cherry smoke on the Lang. I’ll post a thread at some point. Now for round one of cleanup lol.
Looking forward to the pics, Jeff.

It's gonna be too crappy to fire up anything but the oven most of the weekend and into the week so the chili I defrosted will make for some nice rainy day chili dogs Sunday or Monday. Heading out to a local Norfolk brewery today to meet friends and toast our fallen shipmates. That will have to do for any festivities. :emoji_flag_us:
Chili, friends, and craft beer in any order is a great salute to memories of lost crew.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky