Meat from Costco?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlk18

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Great Plains
They recently built a Costco about 50 miles away from us. Currently we buy most of our meat from locally grown sources processed at local meat lockers. While some of it is actually much cheaper than you can find at grocery stores, not to mention better, some products like brisket and ribs can get very pricey. Especially for grass fed and prime. Wife wants to get a Costco membership and drive up there once a month so for a variety of products including meat. Have you had good/bad experiences with the meat at Costco?

Reactions: JLeonard
They recently built a Costco about 50 miles away from us. Currently we buy most of our meat from locally grown sources processed at local meat lockers. While some of it is actually much cheaper than you can find at grocery stores, not to mention better, some products like brisket and ribs can get very pricey. Especially for grass fed and prime. Wife wants to get a Costco membership and drive up there once a month so for a variety of products including meat. Have you had good/bad experiences with the meat at Costco?
Around here its the cheapest I can find prime brisket (I just checked the packer in my freezer and it was $3.29lb) ... I don't buy steaks there because they are blade tenderized (I risk it with the ribeye cap steaks), I can find pork shoulder cheaper as well.. But I do love costco. They have a lot of other good stuff IMO

Reactions: mlk18
I’ve eaten all of the stuff from there. I’d recommend a membership. We don’t live near one anymore and it is a lot more expensive to fill the deep freezer without a Costco

Local stores have their meat shipped in from ? You're lucky. I have a 100 mile round trip to get to kill locker.

I have never had bad meat from Costco. Started shopping there in the 90's when we lived in Seattle.
Moved back to Minnesota in 2001 and had to shop at local stores including Sam's until they built a Costco 75 miles away.
My theory is the only good Sam's is a close Costco to lead the way.
We usually only buy prime beef from either store, but mostly Costco.
A prime brisket is nice. Lower grades require more attention.

Thanks FishAndBeer FishAndBeer
Never noticed the "blade tenderized" , but we usually cook to 160° to satisfy the wife.

I find that Costco meat prices are fair, and their meat is excellent quality.

And by fair, I don't mean cheapest. I can find cheaper briskets and steaks in town, but for the money they are the best quality for the fairest price.

Costco meat is always great quality. They over prime beef cuts and their fish is high quality (in Dallas, TX area at least.)

If Briskets, prime beef cuts, possibly getting beef plate ribs, and pork bellies are all things you are interested then it is worth it for u to get a membership and stockup. Not to mention the gas prices are great so fill up while u are there.

As for cost... you can just as good chicken, pork butt, pork ribs, etc. from local grocery stores when they put things on sale. The one exception may be chicken wings. I never see them on sale at the store and the prices are stupid high for them everywhere. Chances are Costco has them for a slightly lower price per pound AND they almost always have them in stock.

Now something u didnt mention but may make sense. They have great seasonings in large enough volumes at great prices. Be sure to get some coarse black pepper, garlic powder, dehydrated onion, and other seasonings we all use for BBQ there.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: mlk18 and 912smoker
There was a time out here in NorCal that the Costco meat sucked. Metallic tasting, weird cuts, and tough. Those days are gone.

I'm a price shopper. I can usually find better prices and equally good meat locally on sale. Briskets at Costco are the best. I ALWAYS check what they have in the meat aisles, but we keep our Costco membership active for the other stuff they sell, especially the electronics. Great return policy. Plus, if they put something on sale after you buy it, take your receipt back, and they'll refund the difference.

Last week, I saw Prime grade, bone-in short ribs mismarked for 30 cents/lb. Only two packages in the refer at 3 lbs each, buried under other packs. I checked to make sure there was plenty of meat on them, and they weren't dog bones. I kept my mouth shut and loaded them in the basket. I wasn't completely sure if it was a mismark or something was wrong with them, so I made a big pot of beef vegetable soup three days ago. OMG! Melt in your mouth. Now I wish I had smoked them.

Reactions: mlk18 and JLeonard
We like their half-hams for double smoking. Perfect for two people. They can be difficult to find at other stores when it isn’t a holiday. They are also a source for good wines at good prices.

My neighbors are members and have a tendency to show up with a stack of ribs or a pork butt. The ribs are usually at least as good as my grocery store and the pork butts have always striked me as odd. They are always thinner, longer, and they smoke a lot faster than any butt I would buy.

I'm a Costco member, have been for years but we stopped buying beef from them 4 years ago because of the taste.
Fresh beef from our local HEB stores tastes better and the 80/20 burger meat seems to have less fat than Costco 80/20.
As to Costco briskets, they have way too much fat for my taste and I prefer fatty brisket.
If memory servers, Costo sources their beef from Australia and it just tastes weird.
Just me perhaps.

I think their trimmed prime tenderloins are the bomb - whole prime ribeyes are good too IMO -

Prime Briskets are good too but agree with the fat comment .

Here’s pics of their meat -

F42C15E3-65BE-4278-ACAC-16C533AB8BE0.jpeg
E2F2CD1C-4183-4F1B-95D7-8F4A24C137DF.jpeg
F70F6A21-A004-4426-AC62-37DA959467D5.jpeg

I've gotten pork shoulders from my local Costco a number of times - If you can catch them on sale, you can get great prices.
Never had an issue with the quality, and before I got my good smoker, I did a propane/smoker tube smoke on one and it turned out amazing.

GET THE MEBERSHIP and give it a try.

Im quite frugal and Costco has great meat. The only issue for us is for a family of two I need to freeze a fair amount - for example baby back come in a three pack. they are very high quality, but either way I'm freezing at least two - cooked or raw. Here the beef to great. as mentioned the briskets are great. I really like Costco in general too - great deals and customer support. Around here - I avoid the weekends there as they can be kinda busy.

even with a family of two here the executive membership pays off. meaning the rebate offsets the cost to be equal to or less than the regular. if that makes sense.

Costco is great. Bunny ‘s a service deli associate there and she’s never been happier. Not only is the meat quality but their cleaning and sanitation systems are tops. We regularly get the prime sirloin cap steak and bone in loin pork chops.

I was a Costco member for 20 years, also a Sam’s member for the same time. I gave up my Costco membership, cause I liked the meat at Sam’s better. I also live in a small town about 50 miles from Sam’s & 60 miles from Costco. But if you are a Sam’s premium member you can get 2 day free shipping on anything, except of course meat. It pays for itself many times over.
Al

Reactions: mlk18 and 912smoker
I have a Costco a few miles away and a Costco business center 20 piles away. The business center is cheaper and the meat is good. I have bought prime and choice brisket, beef short ribs, pork belly, ribs and butts, whole chicken and a case of legs with no complaints. The beef is domestic (at least in Norca)

This is probably apples to Oranges from the US to Canada but our Costco meat is really good and cheaper than I can find anywhere. Only thing I don't buy there is Beef steaks, I can get them cheaper at the butcher in the little town near my house. Which is odd because full briskets are cheaper at Costco than him.

Corey

Costco has bulk buying power, and their markup on everything is only 14%.
I buy most of my meats there, but as was stated above, I have to freeze some of the package, with just 3 people in the house. If there is a Business Costco in your area, you can pick up uncut meat a little cheaper than in the regular stores.

There is one Sam's Club about 60 miles from me. By contrast, there are 11 Costcos within 60 minutes of me, in the greater Seattle area. Plus, their gasoline is always the cheapest around.

There is one Sam's Club about 60 miles from me. By contrast, there are 11 Costcos within 60 minutes of me, in the greater Seattle area. Plus, their gasoline is always the cheapest around.
i heard that Sam's basically pulled out of Puget Sound.
You need all the help possible on inflated fuel prices.
My last fuel on Saturday for premium was more than what I pay in town.

I typically buy my briskets at Costco.

I recently purchased a Weston Pro-1100 Vacuum Sealer on Costco online that was shipped to my home. When I tried it out a little over a month later it would seal but it wouldn't vacuum. I opened a return/replace and they shipped out the replacement the next day, before I had even shipped the faulty one back. Actually I had thrown out the packaging from the original so I was glad when they shipped a replacement immediately, and I just waited until it arrived and swapped the units in the packaging and sent the faulty sealer back.

That is great customer service!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky