• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmardock

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Orangevale, CA
I wanted to smoke a standing rib roast for New Years Eve dinner, so I went to Costco a few days earlier and accidentally brought home a lot more meat than that. Since I was taking some time off from work for the holidays, I decided to spend a couple of days smoking a lot of the meat to freeze for future meals. This is my account of Meat-a-Palooza...

December 29th
Brushed yellow mustard onto a couple of pork butts (about 16 lbs total) and coated it with Jeff's Rub. Put it on the smoker at 225 to cook overnight.
IMG_0085.jpg

December 30th
Woke up around 5:30am to pull off the smaller of the two pork butts. The 2nd one was larger and finished around 9am. Tried out a new recipe for a vinegar based sauce called Bubba-Lina Sauce, and from this point forward it will be my go-to sauce for pork. Had a couple family members show up for lunch and ate some. Everyone raved about the sauce. Froze all of the rest of the pork.
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

Prepared the standing rib roast that night with steak sauce and Jeff's Texas Rub. Wrapped it up, and put in the refrigerator overnight.
IMG_0099.jpg

December 31st
Put on the rib roast and 4 tri-tips (seasoned with Pappy's) around noon. I got distracted by other Meat-a-Palooza activities and accidentally kept on the tri-tips too long, but they still tasted good. Sliced them up for use in future steak salads (trying to be healthy in the new year).
IMG_0103.jpg

When the tri tips were done, I added a couple of spatchcocked chickens seasoned with Pappy's.
IMG_0105.jpg

I got a little over-ambitious and canned several jars of homemade salsa. I had never canned anything before and took much longer than I anticipated. It was at this point when my wife started telling me I bit off more than I could chew for one day.
IMG_0114.jpg

I can't remember what time the rib roast finished, because I was in the middle of canning the salsa, but I think it was around 4pm. Wrapped it in foil and gave it a long rest while I finished up canning.
IMG_0109.jpg

Eventually, it was dinner time. It was well worth the weight. This was probably the best tasting thing to ever come off my smoker.
IMG_0111.jpg

The rib roast paired nicely with some roasted potatoes, arugula salad, french bread, and a couple of manhattans. Happy belated New Year!
IMG_0112.jpg

Looks great!!

I’ve been there when you just start throwing things on the smoker that you know you don’t need! Usually involves heavy beer drinking for 12-16 hours.

2 things pop for me here. Next time you do some pork butts try rubbing them down without the yellow mustard. I think you’ll be happy your saving it for sandwiches and brats if you do.

The next thing is everything looked like it came out great! That in turn means your wife was wrong about you “biting off more than you can chew”. But we all know you can’t say that. So I’ll hope for your sake you smiled, and enjoyed your Manhattan when you won!

Point

Scott

What is the benefit of leaving off the mustard, besides just saving it?
I always put on mustard to help the rub stick.

Luckily I did just smile at my wife, and made her manhattan with a heavy handed pour of whiskey!

Lol! That’s the correct move!

Truth is the real question is what’s the benefit of the mustard in the first place?

I rub mine down without mustard all the time. I Use to use mustard all the time years ago. The rub sticks just fine without it. It really adds no value.

Scott

I agree with Scott, the moisture on the meats surface is usually enough to keep the rub on. For me mustard is just another step in the process that doesn't add any true value to the smoke.

Chris

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky