Meal Prep - Pulled Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
My kids are home with the flu, so I'm trying to make the most of being stuck here by getting some meal prep done. I had a 14 pound turkey in the freezer from Thanksgiving. Albertson's had specials at that time so I got four turkeys for $.24/lb. The plan is to to smoke it and pull it for future meals.

I didn't have enough salt to make a brine, and I didn't feel like dragging sick kids to the grocery store so I skipped the brining process. But I did inject it with some Tony Chacheres that I bought after the Thanksgiving holiday (I bought 10 of them for $.50 each).
IMG_20190223_154243.jpg

After injecting, I covered it in some store bought cajun spice mix from a local grocers market here. I seasoned outside the skin and under the skin as well.
IMG_20190223_155556.jpg

I put it in my MES 30 at 275º with the AMZNPTS filled with alder pellets. The plan is to pull it at 145º IT at the breast and then place it in a plan covered with foil for the remainder of the cook.
IMG_20190223_155629.jpg

Meanwhile, I headed to the brewery for a couple of refreshments with a buddy. I had a Cold Trail Pale Ale and Smoke Chaser Porter. Both are delicious and are my usual staples at the brewery.
IMG_20190223_171035.jpg

After almost 4 hours the IT hit 145º, so I pulled it and placed it in a big foil pan covered with more aluminum foil.
IMG_20190223_200656.jpg

The reason I do this is because I want to catch some of the juices from the poultry. Since turkey is traditionally dryer than other meats, I want to add this moisture back into the meat after I pull it. It took about another hour and a half to reach 163º IT. At this point I pulled it off the heat and let it rest for 30 minutes. In that 30 minutes the IT rose to 167º at the breast. As you can see, the juices I was looking for showed up in perfect fashion.
IMG_20190223_213435.jpg

Maybe one of the most important steps is to rip off a turkey leg and bite into it viking style to make sure it tastes good.
Screenshot_20190224-122924.png
Yup, it passed the taste test.

My brewery buddy loves smoked turkey breast, so I took out a breast and sliced it up for him. BBQ's #1 goal should be about friends and family.
IMG_20190223_220447.jpg

It took me about 15 minutes to go through the rest of the turkey and pull it all up. Afterwards, I tossed it all back into the juices.
IMG_20190223_220452.jpg

After a night in the fridge to solidify some of the juices, I portioned it out for vacuum sealing. If you vacuum seal it while it's still hot, you tend to suck out a lot of the juices and then you have a mess and a lot of freezer bags that don't seal right.

All vacuum-packed and ready for future meals.
IMG_20190224_112246.jpg

I'm thinking enchiladas, casseroles, turkey salad, tacos, turkey noodle soup, turkey fried rice, etc.

What would y'all use pulled turkey for?

Last edited:
Hell yeah!!!
I've been looking for a turkey for two weeks...
No luck, other than 1.79Lb. ONLINE.

Nope.

That's one tasty lookin bird man! Smoked turkey is awesome & one of my favs. I like your taste test method! One of my fav ways to eat it is cold with a bit of hot mustard & a cold one. Speaking of beer, are those beers local to the Missoula area?

Mrs BD makes tortilla soup with my vac packed bird lerftovers. Mmmmmm good.
Nice bird by the way. Like! B

Whipped up some turkey salad with some mayo, little sour cream, little mustard, red onion, salt, and pepper. Stuffed it inside a crisp, chilled red bell pepper.

This was a great fresh meal in the middle of the day. I think I'd really enjoy this in the middle of a hot summer day.
IMG_20190223_132804.jpg

You didn’t want to drag your sick kids to the grocery for salt but made them go to the brewery?

Jk haha. Great looking turkey! I’ve gone to straight spatchcocking whole birds now. How did you like the injection could you tell a big flavor difference?

You didn’t want to drag your sick kids to the grocery for salt but made them go to the brewery?

Jk haha. Great looking turkey! I’ve gone to straight spatchcocking whole birds now. How did you like the injection could you tell a big flavor difference?
Ha! It does kind of read like I took the sick kids to the brewery, doesn't it? Mom made it home between those steps, but I will say that this brewery is very family friendly. They make root beer and ginger ale for kids and sling it out for free!

I actually didn't find that injecting it changed much. Maybe there was a little added flavor, but not significantly. I will say that not brining it made a big difference in moisture content. Next time I'll drag the sick kids to the grocery store for the salt.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nice !!! Love that Turkey Lots of thing you can do with it

Gary

I've never cured a turkey, but I have one in the freezer also and have been considering it. Do you use Pop's curing brine?
Dave's injection...uses STPP, cure, salt, sugar and some veggie broth.

This thread is chickens but same applies to turkeys,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whole-smoked-chicken-daves-injection-method.272336/

which is what I did here:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whole-turkeys-on-sale.273833/

*Edit to add:
Here is the thread regarding Dave's injection method:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ham-from-fresh-picnics-update-10-21-money.236375/

Last edited:
Reactions: Preacher Man
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky