McIlhenney Plantation Prime Rib Rub (Tabasco; Avery Island, Louisiana)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Here's the rub I use on beef Prime rib, and beef ribs. It came from the executive chef @ McIlhenney Plantation which is home of the famous Tabasco hot sauce. The recipe was given to me by a friend that runs a Duck hunting lodge in Arkansas. He got it from the man himself.

1 cup + 2 tbsp Salt

1/4 cup + 3 1/2 tbsp black pepper

3 tbsp paprika

1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp garlic powder

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp accent

allow to sit for 24 hours

Simple, but it is money on beef.....

Last edited:
Looks good. I was expecting some Heat in there. Years ago my wife found a bottle of Tabasco Powder coated Red Pepper Flakes. Man that stuff lit up a slice of Pizza! Had the Tabasco Heat, the Vinegar Tang and the back burner of the Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Looks good. I was expecting some Heat in there. Years ago my wife found a bottle of Tabasco Powder coated Red Pepper Flakes. Man that stuff lit up a slice of Pizza! Had the Tabasco Heat, the Vinegar Tang and the back burner of the Red Pepper Flakes...JJ
My understanding is that when they want to do a spicy one, they rub the prime rib down with Tabasco. BTW, they make a family reserve Tabasco, which is made from the peppers grown on site. It is aged 5 years and made with white wine vinegar. You can not buy it, you have to be given a bottle by one of the family. We put one in an auction for one of the cancer organizations....it brought in $20,000.

i definitely want to try this. i changed out the ingredient portions to ratios in case anyone wants to make a smaller batch.

12 part salt
5 part black pepper
2 part paprika
12 part sugar
4 part garlic powder
4 part accent

Reactions: weev
I just tried this spice mix on a frozen seared steak and it was really good! I seared the steaks first, then pulled it off the grill, spiced it on both sides then put it in a 275F smoker with mesquite wood for about an hour until the internal temperature reached 129F. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

I do wish the spice had some spiciness to it. I may add some cayenne or red pepper flakes the next time.

20190402_175116.jpg

20190402_181212.jpg

20190402_190148.jpg

I just tried this spice mix on a frozen seared steak and it was really good! I seared the steaks first, then pulled it off the grill, spiced it on both sides then put it in a 275F smoker with mesquite wood for about an hour until the internal temperature reached 129F. One of the best steaks I've ever had.

I do wish the spice had some spiciness to it. I may add some cayenne or red pepper flakes the next time.

View attachment 392157

View attachment 392159

View attachment 392158
They rub it with Tabasco Hot Sauce for some kick @ the plantation....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky