1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Top Choice shoulder clod..

Discussion in 'Beef' started by indaswamp, Mar 10, 2019.

1. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The Smokey Au Jus recipe was designed to work for a few hours smoked Rib Roast to a long cook Brisket. For a long Smoke, you can put the veggies and meat at the same time. Let the veg cook in the dripping an hour, then add Stock (no Salt) or Beef Broth (Low Salt). This gets rid of the Raw veg taste in the Jus. Then just let it go, BUT, you will have to add more no salt Stock or Water periodically due to evaporation. Don't use Beef Broth or the Jus will be too salt from addition and reduction. Let the whole deal go start to finish. Or, pull the pan of Jus a few hours early to get a firmer Bark...JJ

JC in GB and indaswamp like this.
  2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks Chef JJ...

3. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

upload_2019-3-12_18-50-26.png

GATOR240, indaswamp and JC in GB like this.
  4. indaswamp

Just mixed up some Beef Prime Rib rub. About to rub it down and put it in the fridge... It'll hit the smokehouse real early tomorrow...around 3am...ish. Plan to cook low and slow @225* for first 4 hours or so, then bump up to 250~275*. Will cover the pan with foil when the clod reaches 160*.
    I decided to cook the whole clod. It is almost turkey season so I will freeze most of the chopped beef for sandwiches on the road and in the woods...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 6:25 PM
  5. indaswamp

I found this:
    https://bbq.tamu.edu/meat-selection/

So somewhere between 180~200* target temp....

I have also read where you could cook to 140ish like a prime rib.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 11:12 PM
  6. indaswamp

OK, I have a plan... going to put it on the grate for the first 4 hours, then pan it with the veggies for jj's au jus. (I want to get some smoke on the bottom first prior to putting in the pan). 225~240* until it hits the stall, foil cover the pan, bump temp to 250~265* and roll through the stall. target INT of 190* then I will check it. IF it needs more, I'll cook it longer.

BUT-here's the question for you guys...should I separate out the flat iron and the petite tender? I could filet out the tendon in the flat iron, trim both, then tie them all together with twine. Maybe wrap with a boston butt fat cap (1/4" thick) or bacon and cook it like prime rib to 140ish..

So conflicted.......either way it will be awesome....but I need feedback.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM
  7. motocrash

I understand your quandry.
    I also like your wrap idea,I say wrap.
    Mmm,pork fat basted beef :emoji_dizzy_face:

Edit: Bonus,you'll have something to snack on while waiting on the clod.

8. indaswamp

Here ya go jj...
    https://www.expressnews.com/food/co...od-reigned-before-brisket-became-13587999.php

9. indaswamp

The faux prime rib roll will be for supper. I doubt the clod heart will be ready in time to pull.

10. indaswamp

This piece of meat is YUUGE! That's a standard chaffing pan. I put a large pod of garlic in the corner for reference...
    IMG_20190313_214008.jpg

11. motocrash

Wow,it looks to be 6 +" thick!

12. indaswamp

At least that...might be closer to 8" in the thickest part.

13. indaswamp

I trimmed the flat iron and the petite tender off the clod, removed the tendon from the flat iron. Then I wiped all down with sherry wine. I put one side of the flat iron on the cutting board and then placed the petite tender on top. rolled up the sides of the flat iron, then put the other side on top. Tied with butchers twine tight every 2". It's a 6# roll... Going to cook it like prime rib. Was going to put bacon or pork butt fat cap on top, did not have either and I had already went shopping....so I rubbed it down with olive oil.

The rest of the clod weighed in at 17# Gonna be a lot of pulled beef with that!

14. indaswamp

15. indaswamp

Got 'er rolling smoke about 10pm tonight... gonna stay up with it until it hits the stall, then catch a cat nap.

1 hour in...
    [​IMG]

16. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Watching....

Chris

17. indaswamp

INT is @162* right now. As soon as this front rolls through and the rain stops, I'm going to wrap it in foil and bump the temp up to 250*...

IMG_20190315_064942.jpg

18. motocrash

Clod's looking purty already.Gonna be gooood!

19. indaswamp

I agree...still firm though. Just wrapped it and back in the smokehouse. We'll see how long the stall lasts....