Masterbuilt smoker vent position?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Im at sea level so I guess thats a plus.  My hope would be to close the vent as much as possible to use less energy but not to a point where I get creosote.  How will I know it's forming before its too late?
I read in a couple of places that my the very nature of electric smokers that use wood chips or pellets creosote buildup is not an issue. I think that creosote is more of a problem with stick burners and with charcoal. Most of don't even smoke above 250° and I think especially with the AMNPS not nearly enough smoke is generated to produce much if any creosote. I just did some reading and apparently inadequate airflow at high temperatures while smoking can cause creosote (smoke solids) to build up. So this just confirms what I just said about creosote in our MES units not being an issue.

Personally, how I get my smoker and AMNPS going is this: After placing the ET-733 probes where I want them I set the smoker temp at 275° although it's never going to get close to that before I put the meat in. I always have the top vent wide open. So, while the MES is warming up I fill as many rows of the AMNPS I think I'll need with the pellets of my choice, and then slather gelled alcohol on top the first inch, inside the lighting hole, and the first inch underneath. I light the gelled alcohol, set it down on the ground, and let it burn for 20-30 minutes. By that time the AMNPS is going strong and will stay lit throughout the smoke or until it's burned up all the pellets.

At about the 30 minute mark the MES is close to my set point if not right at it. It's then I put the meat in and insert the FOOD probe into the meat if I'm smoking brisket or pork shoulder. I then insert the AMNPS with the burning side facing the rear wall, close the door, and that's all she wrote until I need to turn the meat over or cover it with foil or something. It's really just that breezy and easy for me.

Reactions: dogwalker
Every unit is different. This is how I best explain it. IF you are going to use only the AMPs its OK to slightly position yout reloader out.

Like this:

The reason is the small amount of suction available. Three small holes, thats it. These are the holes located on the reload tube. Now you can also pull a draft from the drip hole, but again is very small.

What you MUST remember, too much air can and does cause a flash. Thats an explosion of fire caused by too much O2. Thats why these are only small holes. Safety.

When you MUST have the reloader in the chamber and securely locked is when you are using chips in the tray. It is very very easy to get a flash with dry chips with the vent open and the reloader even slightly ajar. BTW, its pretty cool... first time surprized me, second time was to insure I knew what happened and why, the next couple was so I could show the neigh how cool it was..>>LOL It will blow the reload tube out of the box, and not just a little bit.

Be safe, remember if you are using the chip tray, secured and locked safely in place. If just the AMPs you can gain a small advantage if needed.

It also goes back to the unit. This was the chip tay I had.

This is the next generation chip tray

The new generation is only 1/2 the size of the above. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow if I remember.

That large chip tray when it flashed ..... it made that reloader tube look like one of those Estes Rocket kits from my childhood! The next Gen tray I never saw flash, I have not yet had my 2.5 gen plugged in yet,but I'll let you know. Its soooooo small!

Again for safety sake, if using chips turn and lock that loader. The AMPs doesn't flash so you'll be fine to crack it if needed.

Reactions: dogwalker
Rick, The smoker is new to you. Don't worry about it now you know. The manual most likely didn't explain it as well as Foam did.

There are other things that the manual does not explain or just get wrong like soaking your chips . Ask that question and get the correct answer from the forum. The people that wrote the manual are only slightly more knowledgeable that you are. The beauty of the forum is you can ask any question and get good answers. Pick a couple of easy smokes and lean your smoker. Smoke a nice pork Tender loin it will cook fast and is easy . Try a rack of ribs using the 3-2-1 method it is easy also. Follow the instructions that can be found here and gain confidence and knowledge.   Jted

I have an Masterbuilt, i've commented on this issue before. Humidity is a issue with this model. I use my at nearly commercial volume and even with a dry drip pan unless you are smoking a very small amount of meat it will steam, it's very difficult to get a bark. One work around is to do a final finish in an oven. I am going to try to do a mod with a small fan for some airflow. I use a different smoker for critical work.

Rick, The smoker is new to you. Don't worry about it now you know. The manual most likely didn't explain it as well as Foam did.

There are other things that the manual does not explain or just get wrong like soaking your chips . Ask that question and get the correct answer from the forum. The people that wrote the manual are only slightly more knowledgeable that you are. The beauty of the forum is you can ask any question and get good answers. Pick a couple of easy smokes and lean your smoker. Smoke a nice pork Tender loin it will cook fast and is easy . Try a rack of ribs using the 3-2-1 method it is easy also. Follow the instructions that can be found here and gain confidence and knowledge.   Jted
I just looked at that manual. MB recommends heating the smoker to max temp for 30-45 minutes. I never do that. I don't understand why that needs to be done. The initial heating cycle takes the temp beyond the set point anyway until it lowers itself back down.

We smoke at 250 with the vent 2/3's open for 2 hours.  We find after 2 hours of smoke it does not take on any more so more smoke is not needed.  

We REALLY ! like the rotisserie we put in our smoker !  look at this 9 pound beef roast we did today for our supper tonight.

We smoke at 250 with the vent 2/3's open for 2 hours.  We find after 2 hours of smoke it does not take on any more so more smoke is not needed.  

We REALLY ! like the rotisserie we put in our smoker !  look at this 9 pound beef roast we did today for our supper tonight.

Where'd you get the rotisserie and how much work was it to install in your MES? How do you plug up the drilled holes when not using it?

I certainly don't know much about the 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker since I just got it for Christmas and I'm in a very cold North Dakota, but on page 3 of my manual on the page labeled "Lets Get Started" it DOES say to CLOSE the air damper on the top of the unite to retain moisture and heat" Then it continues about opening it for foods such as fish or jerky.  I am thinking that the air damper and vent are likely the same thing.  Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but it does appear the manual does address opening and closing of the vent on top. They just gave it a different name.

I certainly don't know much about the 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker since I just got it for Christmas and I'm in a very cold North Dakota, but on page 3 of my manual on the page labeled "Lets Get Started" it DOES say to CLOSE the air damper on the top of the unite to retain moisture and heat" Then it continues about opening it for foods such as fish or jerky.  I am thinking that the air damper and vent are likely the same thing.  Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but it does appear the manual does address opening and closing of the vent on top. They just gave it a different name.
The manual will also tell you to soak your chips, but anybody who uses an MES for awhile learns that's not a good idea. Same thing with water in the Pan (Bad idea).

There is a lot more guys on here who know much more than those who wrote the MES manual.

I keep my top vent open all the way at all times, except when it's Windy (Half-way), or when I'm preheating, or done smoking (closed)----And when not in use (closed).

For safety things, I listen to the manual, but for "How-to-use", I'll go with experienced Owner/users.

Bear

I have the same smoker you do. I leave the top vent open during smoking, always.

I just seasoned the smoker today and plan on using it tomorrow with the vent open.  I was going to soak the chips first, but on my "maiden voyage" I may try not soaking to see what happens.  Thanks for the tip.

I have read almost every post from the beginning of this thread to the end. I seasoned my MES 40" yesterday and smoking some St Louis ribs today. I did put water in the pan, I opened the nevt half way for the first hour and then all the way for the next two (using the 3-2-1 method). They are not done yet, getting ready to go into the final phase. I will let you know how they turn out. My first smoker and my first time smoking anything.

I have read almost every post from the beginning of this thread to the end. I seasoned my MES 40" yesterday and smoking some St Louis ribs today. I did put water in the pan, I opened the nevt half way for the first hour and then all the way for the next two (using the 3-2-1 method). They are not done yet, getting ready to go into the final phase. I will let you know how they turn out. My first smoker and my first time smoking anything.
What's great about smoking is that while there are certain basics, everyone has their own style. What's your style now may change as you gain experience and knowledge. To me that's part of the fun.

I just seasoned the smoker today and plan on using it tomorrow with the vent open.  I was going to soak the chips first, but on my "maiden voyage" I may try not soaking to see what happens.  Thanks for the tip.
The MES owners manual doesn't advise to smoke the wood chips and that's for a good reason: it makes no difference. Besides you'll find it a gloopy mess loading wet wood chips into the MES from the chip loader. The chips are just fine remaining dry. I personally use wood pellets because loading chips all the time became a real hassle.

I've commented on this before, the MES smoker does not give you much of a bark, especially if you are trying to go low and slow.it simply doesn't allow for good air flow, the vent is inadequate and as there is no bottom vents you can't manage humidity. I use mine at nearly commercial volume. Don't get me wrong, I the MES unit has it's uses and i am not disappointed with it, I simply understand it's limitations. I suggest you use pellets and go with a dry drip pan. I've supplied my restaurant with incredibly delicious hot smoked hams for several years. It's simply about knowing the equipments limitations.
Happy smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky