Bought a gen 1 MES used smoker.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbit59

Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Bradford, Pa.
My question is about the vent on top. I don't know if it was put together wrong, but it won't close completely like my 30". This one has a down pointing tab....but it leaves one whole triangle open.....seems to me to preheat smoker you'd want it closed. Is that how they are? Ty

Same here. Opened mine on day 1, 8 + years ago, and never closed again. Will not affect heating much.

Well , it's nice to keep the bugs out when not in use .
I took the wheel off and put a stack on .
20231107_114547.jpg
20190324_155056.jpg

That's a nice setup Rich.
That came off my old Char griller pro , but would be easy enough to make .
Works great . Helps the draw too .

Did you ever see the cover I made for John / Bear ? Used a screen sink strainer .

That came off my old Char griller pro , but would be easy enough to make .
Works great . Helps the draw too .

Did you ever see the cover I made for John / Bear ? Used a screen sink strainer .
No, I haven't seen it, sounds like a good idea. How do you attach the stack? I've been using a canvas cover on mine when not in use.

That stack just sits in there . Same size as the exhaust . 3 " . Fits tight enough it stays there .
Have one of your Muffler buddies weld a 3/8 bolt on a 3" pipe ( I.D. ) . Use a blank cover for a round electrical box to control it . I think mines 4" tall .
The one I made for John was a wood ring with magnets in the bottom . The sink screen was on top of the wood ring . He needed to be able to lift it off to run his therms down the hole . Magnets work great for that .

Reactions: normanaj
Sounds easy enough. The welding of the bolt is to be able to spin the cover on top open or closed, right? And a 3" ID pipe will fit snug enough and won't teter?

Reactions: chopsaw
MJB05615 MJB05615 Had to go back a ways , but he shows it in this thread . Scroll down through the pics .

Sounds easy enough. The welding of the bolt is to be able to spin the cover on top open or closed, right? And a 3" ID pipe will fit snug enough and won't teter?
Yes and yes . Measure yours first just to be sure .

I saw that, looks cool. As soon as I saw it, I seem to remember that post. Yes I'll definitely measure mine to be sure. Thanks Rich.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky