Venting Electric smoker for indoor use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kmiz34

Original poster
Nov 29, 2023
So I’m not new to smoking at all, but am going to step up my sausage/stick/jerky making with an electric cabinet style smoker. I went with the pro smoker classic 100s. It seals up extremely well, and has a 3” vent at the top, and also an adjustable vent at the bottom of the door.

I’d like to use this in my barn loft (insulated and osb wall covering, steel exterior). Does anyone have experience with venting smokers? I’m concerned that if I remove the top adjustable cap and attach a 3” pipe, it will eliminate my ability to damper the flow of smoke through the unit. Any links to termination vents, pipe, or any other helpful information is much appreciated.

The manual states the smoker can be used indoors with proper ventilation , and asks you to email for more information. So far, they have not been helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF, glad to have you...

I've not looked real hard, but surely there's an adjustable 3" exhaust duct or damper available somewhere...

Welcome to SMF, glad to have you...

I've not looked real hard, but surely there's an adjustable 3" exhaust duct or damper available somewhere...
So I’ve found these aluminum blast gates which look like they’d be pretty slick, but not sure how they’d hold up to heat. https://www.oneida-air.com/3-inch-a...wjo4tAmkyol48chgxUVccdB2eYWQxjX4aAuCoEALw_wcB

There is also this 3” in line manual one PATIKIL 3" HVAC Duct Manual Volume Damper, Metal Adjustment Airflow Ducting Backdraft Damper Control for Air Ventilation System https://a.co/d/iIh6c2T

Thoughts? What would a guy use for a termination on the exterior of the building?

Would a exhaust pipe like for a cast iron stove work? Seems I remember seeing some with a damper in them.

Jim
Kind of what I was thinking, but it depends on whether exhausting vertically or horizontally.

Something like this dryer vent for horizontal...
1701360884938.png

Something like this roof exhaust for gas furnace if vertical...
1701360985274.png

Reactions: JLeonard
You said it hasa vent at bottom of the door, that will be sufficient and it’s preferable to control with bottom vent on most smokers

You said it hasa vent at bottom of the door, that will be sufficient and it’s preferable to control with bottom vent on most smokers
Roger that. I just saw in the manual that it said to keep both top and bottom vents equally opened/closed for different types of applications.
For instance, when turning the smoker above 180 degrees, it instructs you to completely close both vents.

Some use a water heater flared hood vent very low above the top smoker vent to not create a higher draft sealing the stack to the smoker. It's going to get smokey in the area after opening the door once even if it's at the end of the cook. The fewer the times the door opens the less smokey the area.

Reactions: kmiz34
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky