Masterbuilt propane smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
EdDisableVet

The one I bought from Home depot in GA came with two vents at the bottom.  One on each side of the bottom compartment.  Guess if I ever decide to smoke with charcoal or straight wood they

may come into more play, but for now I don't bother them.  Here is a Q-p of the one I have.

I joined this site to find out why my MB40 was a fireplace when I first got.  I had a smaller Smokey Mountain and wanted to upgrade.  Thanks to the members represented here I made a couple of mods and am now in smoking Nirvana.  I beat the chip pan bottom flat with a 3# hammer, didn't bother to weld it, and it took care of the flame up problem.  I invested in the Maveric 732 and couldn't be happier.  I drilled a 1/4" hole in the back, just under the vent, lined it a grommet from the local car parts store, insert smoker temp probe and it stays right where I want it.  For meat temp I run the probe thru the vent.  Works for me and I can't keep the family away when they know I'm smoking.  Tried the 3-2-1 method the other day and I'm sold.  My thanks to everybody who contributes to this site.

I bought the Masterbuilt two door smoker model #20051311. It says its propane use only, is that true. I hope not cause I used charcoal along with propane on my first smoke, I did a butt and some spare ribs without any problems. I do want to say thanks for the input on mods,i enjoy reading them.

Ok, I just added my my latest addition to my Masterbuilt

I added porcelin tiles to the top and it is working out really well so far.  It insulates the top of the smoker as well as providing a very warm surface to place things that I want to keep warm.  After about an hour, the top is really warm, so much so, that if you touch it, it will leave a mark.  lol

Here it is..

View media item 297493
View media item 297500

I think they just say that so you can't complain if you have some kind of issue due to using the smoker in a way that wasn't intended. I've seen at least a few people on this forum that use charcoal and propane in these smokers. In fact... I believe there's a person in this thread with the same smoker I have (single door 40") that uses an upside down grill wok (or something like that) over his chip pan the put a skillet on, inside the stock chip pan he puts charcoal and says he uses a lot less propane that way. 

I think they just say that so you can't complain if you have some kind of issue due to using the smoker in a way that wasn't intended. I've seen at least a few people on this forum that use charcoal and propane in these smokers. In fact... I believe there's a person in this thread with the same smoker I have (single door 40") that uses an upside down grill wok (or something like that) over his chip pan the put a skillet on, inside the stock chip pan he puts charcoal and says he uses a lot less propane that way. 
that is what I do in my single door XL (40).  I do not know why it would not work for the 2 door 30.  I just make sure that I keep the area down by the propane burner clean by using a paint brush to sweep the charcoal ashes that dropped down away. 

I did similar probe ports for mine.  I used the threaded rod and nuts that people use for lamp repair.  Cost was around $8 and I did three holes...two at the top grate and one lower down where I'd put the second grate if doing two 10lb butts.  I also added the shelf to mine so I sit both of my Maverick's on the shelf and the ports are right under it.  I bought the brass caps so I can cover the bottom hole if I'm only using the top ones.

Reactions: nymjk
I've been using a 2" thick patio brick on the bottom rack, and have ditched the water pan all together in my two door unit.
Very happy with the temp continuity, but I don't usually need the bottom rack for anything other than a drip pan.
I think also it is a sort of heat deflector when I use charcoal and get an occasional flare up.

Another idea......
One thing I did was use those brass water fittings..... I actually drilled my hole in the back of my MB, that way it gave me the opportunity to run the wires in behind the slide out racks. Has worked out well for me....and after I bored out the center a little bit I can put both probes through the same fitting.

I've been using a 2" thick patio brick on the bottom rack, and have ditched the water pan all together in my two door unit.
Very happy with the temp continuity, but I don't usually need the bottom rack for anything other than a drip pan.
I think also it is a sort of heat deflector when I use charcoal and get an occasional flare up.

Hey there fellow valley dweller....
Interesting......I have never used charcoal, but am curious as to how that brick works out as far as drippings etc. heck on my MB I get a bucket of sludge in my pan sometimes it seems after cooking...and I always use the water pan to keep the meat as moist as possible.

Do the patio bricks get pretty greasy....or do you wrap them in foil? With propane I seem to get pretty even temps throughout the cook....except for the occasional up or down when I have wind problems. I did change out the (if you want to call it that) fire pan for a cast iron skillet, and took out the water pan and rack and replaced it with a $4 baking pan from the dollar store that I put an aluminum foil pan liner in. This sits perfectly on top of the side slider guides where the original water pan would be.

Anyway interesting to see what others do with their cooker. As one person here said..... One will get 10 different suggestions/answers here to questions and all will be right answers!!! Thumbs Up. This really is a hobby to suit each others tastes. BTW if you ever need any Pecan, Hickory, Apple, or Cherry wood there's a place in Phoenix that has it very reasonably priced. You can buy in quantities from a paper bag up to a wheelbarrow load.

Take care
Smoke 'em if you got 'em !!!

Hey guys, 

I'm new here and just now looking to buy a smoker. I think I've decided on a MasterBuilt but can't decide between the Elite GS40 single door or the GS40D 2 door. I like the increased cooking area of the 40 but I like the convenience of the 2nd door on the 30 for tending the wood and water. My questions are.... How much of a temp drop can I expect with the 40 when I open the door to check/tend chips or water? Also, what is the time frame after opening the door for it to return to temp? Overall, what are your opinions on the 2? Thanks in advance. 

Can't speak to the comparison - but will comment that I like my 2 door MB. When I open the cook chamber door it recovers in a few minutes but I have only used propane. I do like the convenience of the fire door especially if I need to stoke the wood chunks and add water - since this sometimes takes a couple of minutes.

I normally only cook for my wife and I, and once in awhile for my son and his wife. I've always had plenty of room to cook, so works good for me.

Bubba,
That's a decision I didn't get to make as ours was a gift. We are happy with our 30 two door, but sometimes I really wish it was a little bigger! Especially when I'm cooking ribs, some extra room would be great. If you plan on using propane a lot, I would think your temp recovery time is going to be short.
Conversely if you tend to cook smaller portions then a 40 will take a tad more energy to heat up.
Let us know which way you go, and show some pics of food! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky