Masterbuilt propane smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hello all!  I seem to have a problem that I haven't seen addressed yet, if it has please forgive me.  My two door propane Masterbuilt Pro won't get as hot as I would like.  My max temp is around 265 degrees.  I recently added the Mav 732 so I am pretty sure its accurate.  My first few smokes I attributed it to winter temps, wind and 7000 foot elevation.  But I smoked some chicken the other day with the outside temp at 70 degrees and still couldn't get the smoker above the 265.  There seems to be very little difference in the blue propane flame height from the high setting and the low setting.  Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Do you have the propane turned down? High heat is just before "off". The more you twist the knob the lower it gets. Also why would you want to be much higher than 265 anyways? 225° is the sweet spot!

If I win the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER Contest, I plan to smoke all I can cheese to meat and all in between___________ this summer.”
A friend of mine has one of those "pellet smokers", I thought it was lacking in smokiness. I don't know if he didn't know how to use it or if they are all light on flavor. Anybody got any thought on this?

The Masterbuilt Sports Elite 30. Nice but small. Like one reader said for St. Louis Cut to fit you have to cut them in Half, but I love it so far. up next Salmon.

Ribs

Half of Pork Picninc

I used my Masterbuilt  propane smoker for the first time last month .  I had two pork loins and two pork shoulders on.  They turned out great.  I had no problems with anything on the smoker.. The only thing was I didn't have enough meat to fill all the racks.(poor planning) ..Sofar I have no problems.  I need to get a cover for it as it will be outside. I have a tarp on it right now.   My old coleman is going out to the cabin so I can smoke out there.   Where is a good place to get a heavy cover for it?

I used my Masterbuilt  propane smoker for the first time last month .  I had two pork loins and two pork shoulders on.  They turned out great.  I had no problems with anything on the smoker.. The only thing was I didn't have enough meat to fill all the racks.(poor planning) ..Sofar I have no problems.  I need to get a cover for it as it will be outside. I have a tarp on it right now.   My old coleman is going out to the cabin so I can smoke out there.   Where is a good place to get a heavy cover for it?
As a simple fix.... I have used a 30 gallon black trash bag.  The bag virtually covers all but the very bottom...and I secure the bag with Magnets.  Works for quite a while.

Reactions: chalupabatman
Tydoog

I have a Excalibur- 5 tray dehydrator and I Love It!!!. My folks gave it to me about 30 years ago. and it still works. I have done jerky,button mushrooms,

herbs,tomato and for the fall I dry persimmons. It is light weight and easy for me to bring out to use and put away. The machine is made in Sacramento

California. The drying trays are about 14" x 14" with I think about a half inch clearance between trays . They have a product called Tefflex sheets.

these sheets are reusable and wash up so easily. They are are great for making jerky. You use them in place of Parchment Paper. I have had my tefflex sheets for about 20 years now. I dry about once or twice a year or when ever I get a chance to.

Good Luck with your research !! I hope this info. helps you a little to find the dehydrator you are looking for.

Smokin Sid

The best propane smoker out on the market right now is the Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault.  Yes it cost it more than the Masterbulit but that's because it so much better made.  When I was researching propane smokers, I just found Masterbuilts to be very cheaply made.  Most of the reviews on Amazon agree on that point.  Also, Masterbuilts are so small, you can't even put a full slab of ribs inside.  On July 4th, I smoked 6 full slabs of baby backs and 8 large pieces of chicken breasts and had plenty of room to spare inside my Smoke Vault.  Another point is the burner, I found many Masterbuilt owners complaining that the pilot flame blows out with even the slightest of wind.  I've never had any problem with the flame blowing out with my Smoke Vault.  I guess the only plus I could find with the Masterbuilts were the double door smokers where the chip and water tray area was separate from the cooking chamber.  That still was not enough for me to buy a Masterbuilt.

Last edited:
Hi ttkt57, that is one good looking grate you have to replace the stock chip pan... I just got the Masterbuilt Pro smoker about 2 weeks ago and started modifying it. Where did you get that grate from? I think it would be a great mod to add to mine :-)
Thank you

Hi ttkt57, that is one good looking grate you have to replace the stock chip pan... I just got the Masterbuilt Pro smoker about 2 weeks ago and started modifying it. Where did you get that grate from? I think it would be a great mod to add to mine :-)
Thank you
I made the grate from a Lodge trivet, some 1/4-20 threaded rod, and some 1/4-20 nuts. Give me a shout if you don't have the means to drill, tap, etc. and I can make you one. Makes this inexpensive, so-so smoker into something amazing.

New to smoking, did my first smoke with a whole chicken, and a pork loin. I read many posts, and went with a 10" cast pan on top of furnished pan, used lava rock, and wet chips. The food was great, did not seem to have any flare ups. Ordering a needle valve. I have not done the boil test for included thermometer. My heat hovered around 250 degrees. overall I impressed with my MB GS30D propane.  Are there anymore ideas out there to improve my smoking?

Here's a follow up to my post above. Just did the boiling water test of the thermometer, and it came out spot on +- 2 degrees.

I have a 40" masterbuilt that I've had for about 4 years it is a single door propane.  Works great for me I use a 10" cast iron skillet for the wood chips just  sit it on top of fire ring.  Got it at Bass Pro on sale for less than $200.00  I also took the rack that they had their small water pan and cut the supports and it now holds a shallow chaffing.  I buy shallow aluminum baking pans and place in side of the metal chaffing pan to hold the water and catch the drips for easier clean ups. It is easy to control temperature .

Agreed...go with the 8" Cast Iron Pan...soooo much easier.  Set it on the pan that was supplied with the smoker...no foil.

Get some kind of hot glove though so you can pull it out if/when needed....

One issue I do have is with the chips / chunks & the temp.

I've noticed that if I have my temp around 225, I have difficulty getting the wood to smolder.

Anybody else face this?  This was true even before I got the 8" skillet.

FYI this is an awesome little smoker.  So much easier to use.

I know I know it's not as "pure" since it uses gas vs. charcoal, but I almost never used my offset in the 2 years I had it.

In the 2 months since I got this, I've done CSR's twice, ribs 3 or 4 times and shoulder twice...and counting!

yes I had the same problem with the wood not smoldering I think the pan is too high from the flame your best bet is to get a burner grate from a gas stove like the one u have in your kitchen and remove your stock pan and put the gas grate right on the flame and then put your cast iron pan on top of your grate I had the same issue and this solved the problem for me

I agree with the last idea...that is to get some form of burner grate.... or cast iron trivet or something that can sit atop the original flame guard.  I homemade mine... then put the cast iron skillet on top of the grate I DO NOT use the original pan at all.  Another thing I do..... is I soak about 1/2 of the wood I am using in the skillet (for a couple of hours at least and sometimes overnight).... and put a mixture of wet and dry in the skillet - I always get a nice blue smoke from this combo.  I also have the same mixture available if I have to add more during the smoke. I put a good layer of the wood in the skillet, but do not stack any on top of each other.  I am using predominantly  2 x 2 inch (or 2 x 3 inch) approximate round chunks of wood.  Rare I have a flareup...and rare that all of my wood does not burn/smoke completely.  I do open one side of the bottom air vents 1/2 way and keep the other closed on my MB. Dual Pro gasser.

Last edited:

I agree with the last idea...that is to get some form of burner grate.... or cast iron trivet or something that can sit atop the original flame guard.  I homemade mine... then put the cast iron skillet on top of the grate I DO NOT use the original pan at all.  Another thing I do..... is I soak about 1/2 of the wood I am using in the skillet (for a couple of hours at least and sometimes overnight).... and put a mixture of wet and dry in the skillet - I always get a nice blue smoke from this combo.  I also have the same mixture available if I have to add more during the smoke. I put a good layer of the wood in the skillet, but do not stack any on top of each other.  I am using predominantly  2 x 2 inch (or 2 x 3 inch) approximate round chunks of wood.  Rare I have a flareup...and rare that all of my wood does not burn/smoke completely.  I do open one side of the bottom air vents 1/2 way and keep the other closed on my MB. Dual Pro gasser.
I never tried the soaked work chunks but ill try the idea always looking for the nice blue smoke thanks for the idea

Last edited:

The best propane smoker out on the market right now is the Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault.  Yes it cost it more than the Masterbulit but that's because it so much better made.  When I was researching propane smokers, I just found Masterbuilts to be very cheaply made.  Most of the reviews on Amazon agree on that point.  Also, Masterbuilts are so small, you can't even put a full slab of ribs inside.  On July 4th, I smoked 6 full slabs of baby backs and 8 large pieces of chicken breasts and had plenty of room to spare inside my Smoke Vault.  Another point is the burner, I found many Masterbuilt owners complaining that the pilot flame blows out with even the slightest of wind.  I've never had any problem with the flame blowing out with my Smoke Vault.  I guess the only plus I could find with the Masterbuilts were the double door smokers where the chip and water tray area was separate from the cooking chamber.  That still was not enough for me to buy a Masterbuilt.
Glad your gasser works really well for you.

You have to realize not everyone can cough up the X-Tra dough for a better unit.

I`m still knocking out decent meat out of an ECB, while stashing some bucks for an upgrade.

Plus there are quite a few who get a kick out of doing mods to their stuff. It does add to the "bonding" of man and his smoker.

I`m going for the Masterbuilt dual door Pro, charcoal-propane unit as my upgrade path.

To each his own.

I looked up the Camp Chef and it does look like a quality unit for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky