Masterbuilt propane smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hey guys, 

I'm new here and just now looking to buy a smoker. I think I've decided on a MasterBuilt but can't decide between the Elite GS40 single door or the GS40D 2 door. I like the increased cooking area of the 40 but I like the convenience of the 2nd door on the 30 for tending the wood and water. My questions are.... How much of a temp drop can I expect with the 40 when I open the door to check/tend chips or water? Also, what is the time frame after opening the door for it to return to temp? Overall, what are your opinions on the 2? Thanks in advance. 
I bought the GS40 because I didn't want to have to worry about cutting rib racks to make them fit. I do wish it was a 2 door, and the temperature does drop quite a bit if you keep the door open too long, but it usually gets back up to temp pretty fast. If I have the door open too long and the temp gets really low, I usually turn the burner back all the way up until it's close and then put it back where I had it. I've also added the foil insulation mod another member of this forum posted, and it has served me well, especially in the cold months. 

The biggest problem I've run into with it (which would also affect the 2 door) is high winds. The insulation helps some... but without a good wind block it still causes problems sometimes. I have a few things I'll put around it to block wind at the bottom, which so far I've only had the flame actually blow out twice in about 6 months, on VERY heavy wind days which get pretty bad in Oklahoma, but I definitely need to get off my butt and make something more convenient to block all 4 sides at the bottom. 

I also have the smaller 30 inch unit... but it's great for MY use

Now that I have a grasp of the temp control.. it is almose "set it - forget it".   Get the Maverick dual probe thermometer, and you will be set... fire up the smoker... do you last minute prep, and you are good to go.

Usual suggestions apply... get a cast iron skillet... works better than the enclosed chunk/chip holder  be ready to get some over sealer if needed... mine smokes, but it's not excessive

Thanks guys! I am hoping with my birthday just a few days away that all my hints and Facebook posts haven't gone unnoticed....... I will be sure to let ya'll know how it goes and post up some after pics...

Birthday was a success! I will be going to BassPro in a few days to pick out which one I want. I'm still a little undecided between the 30 and the 40....

Birthday was a success! I will be going to BassPro in a few days to pick out which one I want. I'm still a little undecided between the 30 and the 40....
Congrats!  If you plan on doing ribs much, I'd go with the 40...unless you are a fan of cutting them in half before smoking.  I like my 30 two door just fine, but I have to buy smaller racks of baby backs and fit them diagonally across the grates.  St. Louis spares only fit if they are cut...I built an UDS primarily for them.

I bought my son a 40" one fro Christmas and he loves it.  Smokes more than me now. I wish I had a smoker like that, Maybe Santa Clause this year. 
banana_smiley.gif

Hey I might make your day, Basspro put them on sale for $159, and free shipping...That how I got mine..Check it out
I saw that in the sale paper from them. Basspro is only about 30 minutes from my house so we went over tonight and got the 40. Thanks for watching out for me though. 

You are welcome, we have to grab it  when we can, did see after the fact, that there is a $18 shipping charge for the over sized load on that....OOPPSS

Hello all!  I seem to have a problem that I haven't seen addressed yet, if it has please forgive me.  My two door propane Masterbuilt Pro won't get as hot as I would like.  My max temp is around 265 degrees.  I recently added the Mav 732 so I am pretty sure its accurate.  My first few smokes I attributed it to winter temps, wind and 7000 foot elevation.  But I smoked some chicken the other day with the outside temp at 70 degrees and still couldn't get the smoker above the 265.  There seems to be very little difference in the blue propane flame height from the high setting and the low setting.  Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Got it set up with a wind blocking wall around it. Did the temp test on the door thermometer and it's 11 degrees shy so it showed 201 when the water boiled. Don't have the money to buy the maverick yet but I can deal with just an 11 degree difference. Seasoning it as we speak. Busy next several days but plan to smoke some yard bird on Friday.

Shut gas off at tank turn gas on slowly at tank then re-lite the regulators are junk and for some reason sometimes when turn on valve gas it limits flow someone posted this here before and it worked for me. Good lck

May want to finish the chicken off on the grill to crisp up the skin. Low smoking temps will give the skin a rubbery texture sometimes. You may also want to crank up the smoker temp at the end to help, but watch that you don't over cook the chicken in the process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky