Masterbuilt propane smoker mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Broadshot

Original poster
Dec 25, 2018

Masterbuilt MB20051316​

I am looking to replace my old MB230 propane with the Masterbuilt MB20051316 model but can only see pictures online. The chip tray on the door looks really cheesy and I am used to chunks in a cast iron skillet In the old model.
Can I safely put a skillet on top of the heat diffuser in the new model, or does anyone have any other modifications to the chip tray?
Looking to give my bride an idea for a Christmas present and a new smoker would be wonderful.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF!

Yes, as long as the metal of the heat diffuser is thick enough to support the cast iron pan, you can use one for your wood chunks.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF!

Yes, as long as the metal of the heat diffuser is thick enough to support the cast iron pan, you can use one for your wood chunks.
Looking to see if anyone here has done it on that model. I can’t tell from the online pictures if it is sturdy enough.

hard to tell from the pictures, but is there room on either side of the diffuser to stack bricks and make it just high enough so a heavier piece of iron would rest on the diffuser and the bricks{ or pieces of iron} at the same time? this "new" shelf would then be plenty strong enough to support your cast iron pan

Below is a link to a thread I started last year regarding a couple mods to my gasser smoker. Don't know if my mods will work on your new Masterbuilt, but one never knows......

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky