Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wife asked what I wanted to do this weekend. Silly question we’re smoking it up! Happy Father’s Day folks

Attachments

• C8CA8E10-AB5A-433E-9BC4-97551F9EB861.jpeg
    C8CA8E10-AB5A-433E-9BC4-97551F9EB861.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 88C5E914-085D-4A96-AEB7-CF99AFD025B2.jpeg
    88C5E914-085D-4A96-AEB7-CF99AFD025B2.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 7FE10DA4-D549-418F-89DA-8801856ACF71.jpeg
    7FE10DA4-D549-418F-89DA-8801856ACF71.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 32
I’m going to be smoking a couple of pork shoulders for a party and won’t have a spare cooler to hold them in. Are there any issues holding them in the Masterbuilt at 170-180 for an extra hour or two?

Don’t think so, but if it’s only an hour you won’t need a cooler. Wrap it good in foil and then wrap that in beach towels. It’ll stay plenty hot for an hour.

Reactions: PPG1
I’m going to be smoking a couple of pork shoulders for a party and won’t have a spare cooler to hold them in. Are there any issues holding them in the Masterbuilt at 170-180 for an extra hour or two?
If you want to keep them in the smoker for an extended period i would wrap them in foil. Honestly for an hour or so a good double wrap of heavy duty aluminum foil should keep them just fine.

little Q view from yesterday.

Anyone experiment with premium charcoals? I tried Kamado Joe big block this weekend which is about 3x more then the usual stuff I pick up. I cooked for just short of 6 hrs ranging from 225-300. and had just enough charcoal left where it was starting to dip below the target temp of 300 degrees at the end. Otherwise it held the temp great for the majority of the cook. It leaves some decent sized chunks in the hopper that can be reused. The bag claims about 18 hour burn time which going off of my results I can see that holding true.

in my eyes 6 hours on a hopper fill is pretty good for a 1050.

E0086FA3-4EEA-42A4-9855-6D64E40E4531.jpeg

Last edited:
Copied and pasted from some of my Facebook groups, but it might help someone here too.

I have come to the conclusion that tumbleweeds are the only firestarter I plan to use from here on out. Those crappy cardboard squares don't light and get hot enough, and they often fall down into the ash bin before lighting the charcoal. I was so frustrated that I broke out the industrial searing torch to get the coals started.
-Free to a good home : Shitty carboard firestarter squares. Especially good for pellet grill owners who wear speedos and drink white claw.

Copied and pasted from some of my Facebook groups, but it might help someone here too.

I have come to the conclusion that tumbleweeds are the only firestarter I plan to use from here on out. Those crappy cardboard squares don't light and get hot enough, and they often fall down into the ash bin before lighting the charcoal. I was so frustrated that I broke out the industrial searing torch to get the coals started.
-Free to a good home : Shitty carboard firestarter squares. Especially good for pellet grill owners who wear speedos and drink white claw.

moved on from fire starters and started using my propane torch used for flame weeding and ice melting . About a minute at full tilt and it’s off to the races.

Reactions: SGMan

I use these:
Link

1 square in the hopper starter and half a square in the ash pan with the leftover charcoal and wood from the last cook. Light them up and 3 min later lock everything down. Never not worked....

I use the Rutland fire starters. If that's the product the guy on Facebook is having a problem with, then I think its his problem. My only complaint with Rutland is it takes a few more seconds to get them ignited, especially on windy days.

Best price is at Tractor Supply

Reactions: 912smoker
I've been using Firestarter Sticks. Thin strips of wood saturated in pine sap I think. I cut them in halve, put the two halves in, use a lighter and I'm off to the races

Reactions: onemanlan
The pressed sawdust squares work well enough for me. I have certainly run into issues where they barely fit on the rails which can be a problem at times, but most of the time they light the charcoal before hand. Before starting up I shake out the ash by rattling the charcoal grate from the previous cook. Toss in cube (or 2 if they're crappy quality). Light up. If I want to speed it up I do the fan start where all the doors are closed but the charcoal chute lid & the fan block has been removed. Depress the fan button on the chute door & let the fan blast the flames of the starter up into the charcoal chute. You can do this until temp, but I usually do it for a min or three for a jump start then let it occur naturally from there. Alternatively I just wait a bit longer for the chute to catch. The re-lighting of charcoal is made more difficult if it's rained a good bit & moisture has made its way into the charcoal. I do wish the rails were either closer together or the space was larger to more easily fit different style starter products.

How do you cut your fire sticks? With a saw? I bought some a while back & they're not great for any of my smoker or chimney set ups. Been resigned to using them as fire pit starters instead. Would love to use them on the grill if possible.

I use the Rutland fire starters. If that's the product the guy on Facebook is having a problem with, then I think its his problem. My only complaint with Rutland is it takes a few more seconds to get them ignited, especially on windy days.

Best price is at Tractor Supply
I agree Oakie. I use the MB Firestarters and have had 0 issues. I tried the tumbleweeds but never could get them to work ...for me. I do intend to try the Rutland brand when I run out of my current stock.

little Q view from yesterday.

Anyone experiment with premium charcoals? I tried Kamado Joe big block this weekend which is about 3x more then the usual stuff I pick up. I cooked for just short of 6 hrs ranging from 225-300. and had just enough charcoal left where it was starting to dip below the target temp of 300 degrees at the end. Otherwise it held the temp great for the majority of the cook. It leaves some decent sized chunks in the hopper that can be reused. The bag claims about 18 hour burn time which going off of my results I can see that holding true.

in my eyes 6 hours on a hopper fill is pretty good for a 1050.

View attachment 501696
OMG I want some ribs now.

G

Reactions: Roman Buffalo
I've started using by bernzomatic propane torch, I just tilt it up toward the coals and flame away for around 60 seconds.
I was using the nests and still have a large box of them on the shelf but I don't like the smoke they produce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky