Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Follow my story, its sort've complicated.

I put new gaskets on lid on my hopper. And my first cook was gonna be a slab of ribs. I took an 8 " split of hickory and split again, till it was maybe 2" X 2 " , and I had two them. I stood one on end in the hopper and filled in around it with B&B charcoal. Then I put the other split on top of the first split and filled in around that one.

So ya got that picture, there's basically a 16" split of hickory, that's 2 X 2 running up the middle of the hopper surrounded by B&B charcoal.

Well, I fire up the MB 560, and my hopper lid is leaking like crazy. Don't ask me about it, just accept that it was leaking, I think this is no good, I've got to shut it down. So I put the blades in , shut it down and it does not put the coals out.

So what do I do, do I let this entire hopper of charcoal just burn up slowly, or do I start digging out the charcoal to salvage what I can. I get some tongs and start digging it out.

And what I find inside the hopper, is that the fire had not traveled up the hopper very far in the charcoal, but those two hickory splits were completely burnt. The fire traveled up the wood far faster than the charcoal.

Moral of this story ......... there's not a moral, either leave the factory gasket on your hopper or do a better job of replacing it, and don't listen to Tom Horsman.
Do you think that if your hopper lid didn't leak, you'd get a more even burn between the split and charcoal?

Any word on Masterbuilt putting thicker Steel in the Chute? I don't have the finger dexterity to be removing screws to mod a NEW smoker. Thanks guys...JJ

Any word on Masterbuilt putting thicker Steel in the Chute? I don't have the finger dexterity to be removing screws to mod a NEW smoker. Thanks guys...JJ

Are you referring to the metal burning through in the firebox part of the chute or just thicker steel for the full length of the chute for better insulation ?

From everything I can gather, from here and from Facebook MB GF groups, the firebox burn out is not a problem. At least, it does not concern me. The firebrick in that part of the chute can be replaced at whatever point in the future they fail, if they ever do. IMO, its just what Masterbuilt said it was from the get-go, they said the metal burning was there for shipping purposes only.

As for thicker steel for insulation, IDK what Masterbuilt has planned, but I'm sure that would drive the cost up. Probably to the point that an Old Country GF would come into play.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The metal plates at the bottom of the chute in my 800 are starting to degrade, however, the exposed fire brick seems to be holding up fine. My understanding is that some of the first 560s had fiberglass insulation under the plates rather than just the fire brick and it wasn't hold up after they burned away. I don't plan on doing the chute mod any time soon.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I purchased the Masterbuilt 1050 from Cabela's right after Easter, I had a savings coupon and built up points so had about $200.00 off of list, went and picked it up from the store. Some observations so far:

1. Takes a bit to assemble but if you can follow directions and think things thru there will be no issues. The only guess work I had was the top racks, I still think they will fold down when not in use so I have to look at that.
2. Order or get a cover right away, my cover just showed up today so the grill has been in the garage
3. Get a box or 2 of the firestarters, none come with the unit, if they do, I missed them and threw them out. I tried paper but didn't get it lit, firestarters are the way to go.

I seasoned the grill per the instructions and was very happy on how everything worked. Yesterday I smoked chicken wings, grilled 2 flank steaks and 2 ribeyes and 2 Filets.
I had to go from 300 degrees to 500 degrees up to 600 to sear steaks, I was impressed on how quickly the unit adjusted the temperatures.

All turned out perfect, so far very happy and very happy as to how well it holds temperature, not exact but I am seeing a 2-5 degree variance, not bad IMO.

I have a 22" WSM, so the Masterbuilt is a lot different. Next up....smoking a pork shoulder or ribs.

Congrats on your new toy and at a great price!
I usually just remove the top rack when not in use
and fold the smaller middle rack up when not in use. They don't usually come with the Firestarters unless it was some kind of special promotion. But there sure make a difference.
Sounds like you're off to a great start so keep on smokin'!

My 560's unbelievable, I really wanted the 800, but a month ago when I ordered the 560 the 800 was out of stock. I just checked, and it's still out of stock. I put my email to be auto notified when it's back in stock. And haven't gotten anything so it didn't come back in stock and sold quick. I'm 4 cooks in on mine and loving it. It's rediculous how easy it is, I made Spareribs for the 1st time ever on a smoker and they came out like I'd made them 30 times and knew what I was doing.

And using an Inkbird ambient probe, the temp for my 5 hour cook was just about spot on with what the MB probe said. I don't see how I could have possibly spent $499 better on a smoker or grill. I still want an 800 and will probably get one if they're ever back in stock lol. I am curious about the vent mod, a few people said it'll make the charcoal last 50% longer. And I don't get all the "worst built, lowest quality smoker evaaar!!!" comments I see around Google. It's pretty damn heavy, and for the price I don't think it feels cheap at all. I'm pretty sure the Yoder YS640 will feel like a tank next to this, but it's also 3x the price. I dunno what people expect for $499 lol.

I also don't get all the owners saying don't waste money on firestarters, just use a folded-up paper towel dipped in cooking oil. You can get 48 for like $9, I only need 1 and I have a usable fire going in like 90 seconds.

I finally got around to using the MGF 560. I did something simple before a long cook to start getting used to it. As stated earlier, I keep forgetting the pull the baffles, but at least it's taking me less time to remember. It's probably not necessary for all the steps, for such a simple cook, but what the heck.

Rib eyes seasoned for about 30 minutes
View attachment 436369

In the cooker with an A-MAZE-N tube for about an hour (it was a cool day).
View attachment 436365
I found some really nice Collard greens. Fresh veggies are apparently not a CORVID-19 insanity panic-buying item.
View attachment 436366
Washed, chopped and seasoned with Apple-cider vinegar, brown sugar and SPOG.
View attachment 436367
Cooked medium rare and add a baked tater smothered in butter and cheese.
View attachment 436368I
My wife said these were the best steaks I've ever cooked.

When you say an hour for the steak, was it just the Tube and some pellets or did you have the MB on really low?

I am running my very first smoke on my 560 sans break in.

I was introduced to this smoker via a well placed FB ad (Im guessing they saw me looking at new grills) and I *knew* I had to pull the trigger on this. Even the wife was excited and encouraged me to go and get one of these bad boys.

The mere fact that I am using charcoal and wood chunks as opposed to my MES and AMNPS makes me giddy like a kid.

Ill try to remember to post pics of my first cook once I pull it off tonight :D

I was introduced to this smoker via a well placed FB ad (Im guessing they saw me looking at new grills) and I *knew* I had to pull the trigger on this. Even the wife was excited and encouraged me to go and get one of these bad boys.

The mere fact that I am using charcoal and wood chunks as opposed to my MES and AMNPS makes me giddy like a kid.

A few weeks in, I'm looking for anything to smoke on mine. Obviously ribs and brisket and chicken, but I want to make smoked butter, figure out how to smoke salt, some sort of smoked dessert may be delicious. Can you smoke a fried egg? I dunno but I want to see if you can. Last few times I've gone to the store everything I saw I was thinking to myself if it could be smoked lol. And I'm thinking about making the same things with each different wood to see the difference. Needless to say, unless it breaks down on me I'll be using it a ton from now on.

Reactions: 912smoker and SGMan

So what's for dinner ?

So what's for dinner ?

Tonight was a couple of "Pork Roast for Carnitas" things that the wife had picked up.
Honestly if it were me, I would have gone with something less ambiguous LOL.

A little 'spicy' due to the prepackaged seasoning, but all in all pretty darned good!
My wife commented on the fact that the smoke was nice and subtle and definitely not overpowering. (I would have to agree)

I pulled one of the roasts at 146 and let it rest and I pulled the other one around 170 just to see how they would compare.

Im already itching to get another cook going on this as it comes to temp FAST and I love the smoke profile from burning chunks in charcoal vs pellet trays/tubes (no offense) I still plan to keep my pellet smoking devices for things like cold smokes, but all hot smokes from now on are going on this bad boy!

Reactions: PPG1 and Aledavidov
little late on the post but I smoked a 15lb turkey on the 1050 for turkey day and it was pretty much amazing in every way. Maple/bourbon brine, some AP seasoning and heath riles peach rub. Took about 5.5 hours @ 300 on the middle rack took longer because it was stuffed. Only thing I probably wont do next time is stuff it because it draws out a ton of salt that the brine put into the meat and makes the stuffing borderline too salty (maybe it was a good thing and saved the bird from being too salty?) We had tin of stuffing cooked on the side so no harm no fowl .

After reading about it a few times now I found my new favorite way of adding smoke is to take a whole split of cherry and stand it vertical then pack the charcoal around it lasted about 4 hours and the smokiness was just right my wife doesn't like heavy smoke and she approved of it. It turned out a little darker than shown but I was so eager to carve into it I forgot to snap a final picture. Talk about moist and full of flavors.View attachment 473157

Was the cherry in the stack or in the ash bin?

I'm picking up a 560 today from Home Depot. Pretty excited to get it up and running.

I read about klotesmods on a few pages and was wondering what yall thought about them? I'm thinking about getting the everything package with the fan protector but I wanted to hear from a few people before I spent $300.

I'm picking up a 560 today from Home Depot. Pretty excited to get it up and running.

I read about klotesmods on a few pages and was wondering what yall thought about them? I'm thinking about getting the everything package with the fan protector but I wanted to hear from a few people before I spent $300.

Keep in mind, there are 2 different types of mods.

Klotes and another set by a guy named Luke. (LSS Mods)
Both accomplish the same things, but go about it a little differently.

I would suggest comparing the two of them and deciding which one you want to undertake.

Oh, and I did a thing today.

I took one of my MES30 grates and measured it so that I could cut off the excess.

Behold - my ash catcher wood chunk holder. Now my chunks can be elevated from the rest of the ash and help them last a bit longer during a smoke :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210416_191805834.jpg
    PXL_20210416_191805834.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 52
I did watch some YT videos and read stuff on Google, but I have a couple of questions about a few of the mods from LSS and Klotes.

I have the newer 560 that has the charcoal grate from the 800. on Klotes page he words it kind of odd when referencing the upgraded 560 grate. Would I see any improvement? He claims 4 hours for a full run of charcoal if you have the original grate. He makes it sound like his is still an upgrade over the 800 style one. But makes no reference to added run time.

And the vent mod from either, both claim up to 50%+ more fuel time, is there any downside to running it with the vent almost closed? Like too much smoke flavor or something? If I'm to believe what the guy who makes the Klotes mods claims, on a 560 you'd get 8 hours more out of a full hopper of charcoal with the vent and grate mods. That's massively better. I haven't done an exact timing on mine yet, but I went thru a bag and it was probably 8-10 hours. 16-18 hours would be crazy. What I find on Google doesn't get much into how much more time people are getting, just they like the mods and they do extend how long the charcoal lasts.

Reactions: SGMan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky