Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey guys just put together my new masterbuilt and I see welds like this. Is this normal quality?

Attachments

• 54328E2D-A9F0-4998-A5FD-3147E4C6E1D5.jpeg
    54328E2D-A9F0-4998-A5FD-3147E4C6E1D5.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 96C54423-4656-45C7-AF3A-DF2124E610C9.jpeg
    96C54423-4656-45C7-AF3A-DF2124E610C9.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 142
Define normal.
Higher quality would be continuous and ground.
Tack probably gets it done.

Define normal.
Higher quality would be continuous and ground.
Tack probably gets it done.
They are on the firebox supposed to be airtight. I was just wondering if this is normal for the gravity series, or did I get a new welder on the assembly line.. lol It just looks they’re done by a 10-year-old🤷🏻‍♂️

How does a reverse sear work on this? Do you just crank up the heat?
Yes we cooked or steaks at 250 remove them when they got to the desired internal temperature, cranked up the heat to 700 and then seared the steaks One minute on each side. Here are some photos

Attachments

• C294FBBF-4F74-4214-BEF9-E7644C960941.jpeg
    C294FBBF-4F74-4214-BEF9-E7644C960941.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 116
  • 17018392-BAC0-47D4-9309-9FC78715E273.jpeg
    17018392-BAC0-47D4-9309-9FC78715E273.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
W
Hey guys just put together my new masterbuilt and I see welds like this. Is this normal quality?

Well sent pictures off to masterbuilt and they are sending out a replacement
Well I sent some pictures off to masterbuilt and they are sending out a replacement hopper assembly🤷🏻‍♂️ We will see how the replacement looks👍🏻

Joe's Grates shipped my new grate on Feb 12 , it went through Texas , slowly. Got it yesterday and seasoned it today. Did not really like having to pound those tabs down so it could slide in, but I'm sure it was worth it. Those factory grrates were a pain to deal with. I'm ready to barbecue now

I've been trying to locate this guy to purchase grates for my 560. I know he is on facebook but I don't do FB. Any idea on how to contact him by email?

I've been trying to locate this guy to purchase grates for my 560. I know he is on facebook but I don't do FB. Any idea on how to contact him by email?

No. I used my wife's Facebook account and the entire transaction was on Facebook. But I sent him a message linking your post here. He says he replies within an hour, so maybe you get connected soon

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Joe's Grates shipped my new grate on Feb 12 , it went through Texas , slowly. Got it yesterday and seasoned it today. Did not really like having to pound those tabs down so it could slide in, but I'm sure it was worth it. Those factory grrates were a pain to deal with. I'm ready to barbecue now

Smokie Okie,
When we talked and want over ordering the GF-560 grill grate it was explained with the a video that was attached during our conversation what needed to be done in order for the aftermarket grill grate to slide in and out , that the tabs needed to be tapped down and a piece of the material was shipped along with your order so you could tap down on the those tabs. I apologize for any delay on the shipping but, as we all know with the pandemic/COVID-19 all delivery services have slowed down drastically, once the item is shipped its out of my hands this is why I always add insurance to all my packages just in case something were to happen to a customers order in transit.
I appreciate your business and your patience during the process.
Thanks again
-Joe

View attachment 486078

Ohhh no, I knew I would have to do that, you made that clear up front.

But I still did not like having to do that. If I had druthers, I'd rather not. But I fully understand why it was necessary.

The shipping was not your problem. It went through Texas during the deep freeze and snow in Texas ( and here in Oklahoma ) and it was in some small town in west Texas for almost a week, according to FedEx tracking. When I made that post, I just assumed everyone knew there were problems in Texas. It did not age well.

I guess I should not have posted.

But I still did not like having to do that. If I had druthers, I'd rather not. But I fully understand why it was necessary.

The shipping was not your problem. It went through Texas during the deep freeze and snow in Texas ( and here in Oklahoma ) and it was in some small town in west Texas for almost a week, according to FedEx tracking. When I made that post, I just assumed everyone knew there were problems in Texas. It did not age well.

smokin okie
No no I’m not upset at all that you posted your post, I just wanted to make sure that I did send you the video etc.
thank you
-Joe

Reactions: negolien
Has anyone tried including a small wood split into the charcoal? I throw wood chuncks into it all the time and like the outcome. Seems like a nice 14-16" long 3" wide split surrounded by charcoal would work awesome.

I got mine set up the other day, haven't even cooked anything in it yet, but I can't wait to start using it this weekend. Cool that they switched out the charcoal catcher thingy with the one from the 800. I did the 2 burn-ins and a seasoning. There were only 2 very small chunks of charcoal in the bucket and the rest was dust. This was with the Kingsford blue bag.

Has anyone tried including a small wood split into the charcoal? I throw wood chuncks into it all the time and like the outcome. Seems like a nice 14-16" long 3" wide split surrounded by charcoal would work awesome.

The manual says not to put more than 1.5lbs of wood in the hopper. Your idea sounds good but that would be too heavy. I'm not smart enough to figure out why they say 1.5 max, but there's obviously a reason.

Follow my story, its sort've complicated.

I put new gaskets on lid on my hopper. And my first cook was gonna be a slab of ribs. I took an 8 " split of hickory and split again, till it was maybe 2" X 2 " , and I had two them. I stood one on end in the hopper and filled in around it with B&B charcoal. Then I put the other split on top of the first split and filled in around that one.

So ya got that picture, there's basically a 16" split of hickory, that's 2 X 2 running up the middle of the hopper surrounded by B&B charcoal.

Well, I fire up the MB 560, and my hopper lid is leaking like crazy. Don't ask me about it, just accept that it was leaking, I think this is no good, I've got to shut it down. So I put the blades in , shut it down and it does not put the coals out.

So what do I do, do I let this entire hopper of charcoal just burn up slowly, or do I start digging out the charcoal to salvage what I can. I get some tongs and start digging it out.

And what I find inside the hopper, is that the fire had not traveled up the hopper very far in the charcoal, but those two hickory splits were completely burnt. The fire traveled up the wood far faster than the charcoal.

Moral of this story ......... there's not a moral, either leave the factory gasket on your hopper or do a better job of replacing it, and don't listen to Tom Horsman.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky