Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a big problem. We moved into a new home and I didn't have my "grill security" set up yet, but grilled some burgers/dogs for labor day on my 560. It was carelessness on my part, but I went a day without putting the cover on, and the puppy got into it and chewed up a lot of the wiring. I have no clue on some of these wires. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a pic from underneath that shows where they go? I have one small cable with a plug still attached coming from the hopper, another small cable with red and black wires coming from the fan, and a larger cable with thermal insulation containing two black wires.

• Wow
Reactions: Will Squared
Update, just wanted to give some kudos to Masterbuilt Support. I described my problem, hoping to get a diagram or advice, and they are sending me a new fan and wiring kit for free. Obviously a dog chewing up the wiring is not a warranty issue, so I am really surprised and pleased.

That's Awesome!!
I'm glad to see they're at the top of their Game again!!!

Bear

Over the weekend I went to do a reverse sear on some 24oz prime rib-eyes. I used el diablo lump charcoal from costco. The cook at 200 went great, but when I cranked it up to 700 it would only get to 600 and then drop to 580 and then back to 600. Mind you I am in Southern California so ambient temperature was around 90F. Has anyone else had this issue? IMG-1198.jpg 62173426935--F6BC2DDE-E7E6-4897-B682-8B6C39132E44.JPG

• Love
The steaks were fantastic! I am a little bummed though I could not get the grill to its max temperature. I only seared them for 1.5 minutes per side to avoid overcooking them, but you could tell it was missing a full maillard effect

reaching the max temps is directly related to available fuel. if you are running low, low being below about 6-8 inches, or have gaps using lump, you are not going to get there.

FWIW i ran my 1050 at 550-600 for about 5 hours yesterday while seasoning cast iron that i took down to bare metal. Used 1 bag of ridged charcoal.

that is probably a wise choice. i am considering actually doing a grate mod or having a friend of mine fab me a second grate for high temp to reduce fuel consumption.

Over the weekend I went to do a reverse sear on some 24oz prime rib-eyes. I used el diablo lump charcoal from costco. The cook at 200 went great, but when I cranked it up to 700 it would only get to 600 and then drop to 580 and then back to 600. Mind you I am in Southern California so ambient temperature was around 90F. Has anyone else had this issue?View attachment 463244View attachment 463241
My 560 went up to 760 with l
Cowboy lump but 600 is still plenty hot to do the sear

Attachments

• 20200912_210349.jpg
    20200912_210349.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 46
Out of curiosity does anyone know if the 560 will fit 2 average 15-18lb packer briskets? I'm thinking of picking one up but that's my only capacity requirement and I can't seem to find an answer.
I would say yes and no. Yes they will fit but one will be on the bottom grates and the other will have to go on the highest rack. There will be a temp difference between the two heights in the smoker so it will require a little more attention. I think the 1050 would be a better option for you if you plan on smoking this much meat on a regular basis.

It would be occasional. Very very occasional probably once or twice a year. I have an 18 WSM and weber kettle that I could fire up if the temp difference is very significant between the top and bottom racks. I admittedly have a problem as I keep adding cookers.
They will fit. Get yourself an inkbird wifi or similar with at least 4 probes on it. Use every probe, materbuilt and inkbird you have. If you monitor the internal temps, flat and point, on both, plus some extra ambient, and rotate them every couple hours (swap them top to bottom and side to side), you will be fine. The bottom rack will end up being a touch hotter, though i've only ever seen it about 20 degrees with a brisket in the middle shelf. Plan for extra time, and keep them moving so they both see the same amount of heat. Be mindful of the wind too. A breeze coming in the back vent will mess with temps quite a bit. Might be worth taping over part of the vent with some high temp metal foil duct tape to help in that regard.

They will fit. Get yourself an inkbird wifi or similar with at least 4 probes on it. Use every probe, materbuilt and inkbird you have. If you monitor the internal temps, flat and point, on both, plus some extra ambient, and rotate them every couple hours (swap them top to bottom and side to side), you will be fine. The bottom rack will end up being a touch hotter, though i've only ever seen it about 20 degrees with a brisket in the middle shelf. Plan for extra time, and keep them moving so they both see the same amount of heat. Be mindful of the wind too. A breeze coming in the back vent will mess with temps quite a bit. Might be worth taping over part of the vent with some high temp metal foil duct tape to help in that regard.

Thanks, I have 2 different 4 prob inkbird temp monitors. The local wally world has the 560 on clearance for $275 I figured I could make it work at that price so I picked one up at lunch time. Let the adventures begin.

Does anyone know how to bypass the door switches. One of mine is smooshed in and won't come out if I smash it down with something against the door it will work but its unreliable. Does it need a resistor or anything to make it permanently tripped, I tried touching them together and that didn't work. MB is out of those switches forever they said, or implied.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky