Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mine didn't come on either, but Home Depot assembled it for free. It was a crew that goes from store-to-store. Some wires crossed.

But if you can't find anything wrong with the wires do as Will Will (Will squared :emoji_laughing: ) said.

Reactions: Will Squared
You know, now that I think about it, mine didn't come on the first time either.
I had spent so much putting it together that it was a 'walk away' moment.
I usually block those memories out but my wife reminded me.
I just unplugged and plugged everything back in and then it came on.
Magic maybe.

Try double checking your connections.
Maybe magic will work for you too.

Reactions: randyrayd
I just found out about the Masterbuilt g560 and I must say I’m impressed. I want one. I’m glad I found this thread.

I kinda wanted a pellet pooper and a weber kettle...but the 560 seems to satisfy both of those requirements. I get the convience of pellet grill with the charcoal flavor of a kettle.

It seems like this can easily replace a gas grill, especially with it coming up to temperature quickly? My POS grill only gets to about 450 so I truly never get a good sear.

Also to all the 560 owners, how do you feel about keeping it on a wood deck? I would love to do that...but if there’s an issue with ash and embers, I would wheel it out from my basement and use it in the driveway.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I just found out about the Masterbuilt g560 and I must say I’m impressed. I want one. I’m glad I found this thread.

I kinda wanted a pellet pooper and a weber kettle...but the 560 seems to satisfy both of those requirements. I get the convience of pellet grill with the charcoal flavor of a kettle.

It seems like this can easily replace a gas grill, especially with it coming up to temperature quickly? My POS grill only gets to about 450 so I truly never get a good sear.

Also to all the 560 owners, how do you feel about keeping it on a wood deck? I would love to do that...but if there’s an issue with ash and embers, I would wheel it out from my basement and use it in the driveway.

It has impressed me for awhile!!
If I was younger & in better shape, I'd be all over this thing!!
However I would have to find a place more fireproof than my front porch, where my MES40 is.

Bear

I haven't had any issue with falling ash or embers. The ash pan is in a compartment that has a sealed door. I've had a little grease seep out from the cook area but nothing that would start a fire.

I have had 0 issues and live on 2nd floor of apartment under pine trees sooo..just saying I would be more worried with a regular charcoal grill as you usually have an open flame going for a while with no vertical cover. My 560 has had no 'flame up" issues....and I have cooked 7 lb dino ribs, chicken and steaks galore so far. Yes I do clean it every couple of cooks depending on what i' am cooking more fat = less time between cleans. I use a metal buck with a metal lid sitting on a metal and glass table for ashes btw.

It has impressed me for awhile!!
If I was younger & in better shape, I'd be all over this thing!!
However I would have to find a place more fireproof than my front porch, where my MES40 is.

Bear
I haven't had any issue with falling ash or embers. The ash pan is in a compartment that has a sealed door. I've had a little grease seep out from the cook area but nothing that would start a fire.

Thanks for the input. Here’s where I keep my gasser, it’s on an open deck.
0782CDFD-50E9-4CB6-BC1C-0C9E2F84EA72.jpeg

It’s well open and ventilated. I was worried more along the lines of a weber kettle with the ash plate underneath. I would never want that on my deck. As for convience, that’s right outside my kitchen. I’d hate to have to go up and down stairs to my driveway.

Bear, I kinda am all over this grill. Still have some youth and health left. I’ve been bugging the wife already about it but I’ll wait until the whole pandemic blows over before buying.

I have had 0 issues and live on 2nd floor of apartment under pine trees sooo..just saying I would be more worried with a regular charcoal grill as you usually have an open flame going for a while with no vertical cover. My 560 has had no 'flame up" issues....and I have cooked 7 lb dino ribs, chicken and steaks galore so far. Yes I do clean it every couple of cooks depending on what i' am cooking more fat = less time between cleans. I use a metal buck with a metal lid sitting on a metal and glass table for ashes btw.

I think I have it in my head already that I’m gonna buy this once we’re on the right side of this pandemic. It just checks all my boxes. I have a metal garbage can I use for my offset ashes. I keep my smokers in my basement when not in use. I would love to have this on the deck and just keep it covered.

I think I have it in my head already that I’m gonna buy this once we’re on the right side of this pandemic. It just checks all my boxes. I have a metal garbage can I use for my offset ashes. I keep my smokers in my basement when not in use. I would love to have this on the deck and just keep it covered.
The cover is heavy duty canvas, so I think there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't keep it on the deck, covered.

First post. I don't have one of these yet. Hopefully soon.
What are the dimensions of the two main grill grates?

2 grates - 11" wide/ 14 1/2" deep.

And they sear a cool "M" in your meat.

The grills of the grate have a triangle cross section.
The flat side is labeled 'sear'.
The pointed side is labeled 'smoke'.

I love my 560 !

You won't regret it.

I reckon I am spoiled, my Weber performer has a ash catch can mounted on the bottom so no mess hitting the floor or deck, still looking for info on the bigger size and time table it will hit the market and the price. the grates /cooking area are pretty small imo.

The MB has a sealed charcoal hopper with an ash bin. The 560 has been plenty big for my family of four but if you need to cook more than 6 pork butts it’s not for you. The larger model had been released to independent dealers but not sure why it’s not on the MB website. The MB Fan Facebook group already has pictures and videos of it in action.

Hi guys, first time poster. New to the forum, but really like what I've seen so far, seems like a good group.

Love the idea of this grill, and sounds like you guys are all happy with it, too.

Currently have a (beginner econo model) Smoke Hollow upright electric smoker I use for pork butts, ribs, bacon-wrapped chicken thighs, etc. Also have a Char-Broil side-by-side propane-charcoal grill. I mainly use the gas just for burgers/brats, the charcoal mostly for kabobs and steaks. I love the flavor I get from adding chunks of wood to the charcoal and cooking low and slow, then searing right over the coals at the end.

This grill seems like the best of all three worlds, thinking it could replace all three of my outdoor cooking options. I do have some concerns about using it for burgers, though. I love how I can fire up the propane grill and have hot cheese burgers in no time. I'm not sure how much it actually costs each time I use it, but I'd say with how long a propane tank lasts, it's very inexpensive.

Sounds like somehow this grill can get very hot very fast, even though it's cooking with charcoal. I love the flavor from Cowboy brand lump charcoal, which is about $18/20 lb bag, but I might switch to something cheaper if it were my only fuel source.

How much charcoal does this grill use for a quick cook like burgers? Is the expense of always cooking with charcoal adding up for you guys? What kinds of charcoal do you guys use if you're concerned with the cost? Thanks to all for your input, look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Welcome to The Forum huntfishdad and Duffman56. The MDGF 560 is the consummate cooker in my opinion as far as versatility. Other cookers, stick, gasser, electric or kettle/drum have their strengths, but this is the best mix of all in my opinion. This thing will be up to burger cooking temps before your charcoal chimney has completely lit.

It may use a bit more charcoal, but the flavor over gas is worth it. I have natural gas stubbed out on my deck but you no longer have a gasser because of the lack of flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky