Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh I see it. The Auxiliary port.

You say this is a plug in application with the 560 fan?

Okay I see the answer on the SHOP page.

They even have a 20 CFM fan !

Last edited:
Oh I see it. The Auxiliary port.

You say this is a plug in application with the 560 fan?

Okay I see the answer on the SHOP page.

They even have a 20 CFM fan !

The modification with the fireboard he's talking about still uses the existing fan, it's just controlling the fan through the fireboard controller. I have a fireboard plus a fan for my large gravity fed and it works well and I can control it from anywhere via my phone.

Reactions: Will Squared
I like the sound of the 20 cfm fan.

I have always been a fan of More Horsepower !

I have gotten burn piles going with a leaf blower.

You don't need another fan. The one on the 560 is plenty stout. It takes the Fireboard controller, the Drive cable, a cable you make yourself with a barrel connector for the Drive cable on one end and a JST plug on the other to mate with the JST plug on the Masterbuilt fan. The stock fan is a CoolCox CC12038M12D, 3000 rpm, with 109.2 cfm

I finally got around to using the MGF 560. I did something simple before a long cook to start getting used to it. As stated earlier, I keep forgetting the pull the baffles, but at least it's taking me less time to remember. It's probably not necessary for all the steps, for such a simple cook, but what the heck.

Rib eyes seasoned for about 30 minutes
cook1.1.jpg

In the cooker with an A-MAZE-N tube for about an hour (it was a cool day).
cook1.2.jpg

I found some really nice Collard greens. Fresh veggies are apparently not a CORVID-19 insanity panic-buying item.
cook1.3.jpg

Washed, chopped and seasoned with Apple-cider vinegar, brown sugar and SPOG.
cook1.4.jpg

Cooked medium rare and add a baked tater smothered in butter and cheese.
cook1.6.jpg
I
My wife said these were the best steaks I've ever cooked.

Welp, I was late on seasoning, but got it done today. A couple of questions that I can't find in this thread:
1. How darn long does this thing take to shut down so you can cover it? I slathered grates and box with oil and ran it for 400* for 30 min. and then again (after cool down as directed in manual) for 350* but increased the time to 1 hr., just because. I went to Mass and looked inside and thought I should burn off excess oil since I probably over-applied, and began to start the coals again, but as soon as I opened some doors, it started smoking again before I went to re-light.

Since I'm in the choir and practice before Mass, I was gone over 3 1/2 hours, but there were still coals hot enough to start cooking even without re-lighting.
2. (Rhetorical question here) Since apparently I'm slow (short bus slow), how many times does it take until I learn to remove both baffles, or whatever they are called, so this thing can properly get hit to the cooking area?

Tolerance for my ineptitude will be greatly appreciated in answers for the last question.

View attachment 435966
I apparently ride the same bus as you do. The second time I tried to use my MB560 it took me nearly an hour trying to get a fire started....it doesn't work well with the baffles left in and that's speaking from experience. Some good news....I'm trying not to make the same mistakes twice. Good luck with your MB560....I really think they're great.

I've gotten pretty good at guessing the amount of charcoal i need when searing steaks/barbecuing. I put in slightly more than need and just let it burn off at 650-700 at the end, It cools much faster that way too as once there isn't any more charcoal on the grate the bucket is typically only warm to the touch, then you can dump the coals and cover it immediately. Still working on aount needed for smoking as it can vary with temp outside. Then i never have to use the sliders, if i dont use them i can't make myself look like an idiot.

I apparently ride the same bus as you do. The second time I tried to use my MB560 it took me nearly an hour trying to get a fire started....it doesn't work well with the baffles left in and that's speaking from experience. Some good news....I'm trying not to make the same mistakes twice. Good luck with your MB560....I really think they're great.
I've already made the same mistake three times!....but I'm catching it a lot quicker so hopefully that's over with.

I've gotten pretty good at guessing the amount of charcoal i need when searing steaks/barbecuing. I put in slightly more than need and just let it burn off at 650-700 at the end, It cools much faster that way too as once there isn't any more charcoal on the grate the bucket is typically only warm to the touch, then you can dump the coals and cover it immediately. Still working on aount needed for smoking as it can vary with temp outside. Then i never have to use the sliders, if i dont use them i can't make myself look like an idiot.
Too late for me to not look stoopit! But at least no one was around and I know y'all won't tell anyone. :emoji_laughing:

Hey guys I put my 560 together last night and went out this morning for the initial burn off. The fan doesn't come on at all. Checked all the electrical connections and still nothing. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

• Sad
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky