Masterbuilt Electric Smoker comparison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

which model Masterbuilt smoker should I get?

• Higher model with the bells and whistles for $299

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Basic model for $170

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reading #4 above, do you not fill to the top in order to keep it from jumping rows, or do you do it to have it burn more reliably, or burn at a different rate?
I filled to the top, still went out. Not sure what generation it is, but here are the numbers Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker.

Ok, so going to try my hand at a pork butt. The only thing I will change is increase the temp and not fill the water pan. I bought regular apple wood chips Incase I can’t get the AMPS to work. But I am guessing by not filling the water pan it will help.

Any other tips?

Attachments

• 4C521764-65E7-45D5-A17C-4C1A3C06D0B8.jpeg
    4C521764-65E7-45D5-A17C-4C1A3C06D0B8.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 82B34242-63E3-488D-9B9E-3A51962763A9.jpeg
    82B34242-63E3-488D-9B9E-3A51962763A9.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 49
I looked at the pictures you had and read the other article. Thinking MES Gen 2, but I’m not 100%. Below are the pictures of my MES 30

That's another one of the "Hybrids";
Generation #1 Exterior, with a Gen #2.5 Interior.

Only weakness is the top Vent being on the right instead of the left, but that's not usually a real big deal in an MES 30, because the heating element is closer to the middle than the MES 40 heating element.

Bear

Reactions: JerseyDrew83
Which Generation MES did you get?---Very Important.
#1 Never put water or any other liquid in an MES water pan. Just cover it with foil & put it in place & leave it there.
#2 I need to know which generation MES it is to be able to tell you the best place for the AMNPS.
#3 You have to get the AMNPS lit properly before putting it in the MES. (This is the most important thing to do)
#4 How full do you fill the AMNPS? I keep mine 1/4" to 3/8" from the top.
#5 Keep your top vent open 100% when smoking.

That's enough for now.

Bear
May I ask what the reason is for #1 you posted about the water pan?

And if you don't use the water pan, what do you use for adding humidity to your smoke?

The MES smokers have very little airflow compared to smokers that burn things to create heat. Also, the MES is sealed really tight. As a result, the humidity from the food itself provides more than enough moisture. If you put a water pan in there (which I did with mine when I first got it), you get so much moisture that the inside turns into a steam bath, not a smoking enclosure. Water drips down the door and leaks all over the floor, and you get quite a mess.

You will find hundreds of posts in this forum, all of them recommending that you NOT use water in the water pan.

I have had my MES for almost three years now and after following the recommendations to not use water, I have never put water in the pan, and now keep it covered with aluminum foil.

The best way to improve the quality of the smoke is to use the AMNPS and put it in an external smoking enclosure. Look for posts about the "mailbox mod" to learn about this. I finally did this and I went from wanting to sell my MES:

Thinking of selling my MES 30

to being quite satisfied. I now get pretty decent results with my AMNPS and mailbox mod:

Mailbox (Popcorn) Mod (with a small twist)

May I ask what the reason is for #1 you posted about the water pan?

And if you don't use the water pan, what do you use for adding humidity to your smoke?

You will learn that a better question would be "What do you do to get rid of all the excess Humidity in my MES".

Also: I would try burning your AMNPS in your MES, before you bother with a Mailbox. It sure is nice not having the extra accessory to mess with. I've used 3 different MES units over the last 9 years, and have had good success with putting the AMNPS right in my MES.

If after you've done everything possible to keep it going, and you give up, then go with the MB.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmmycrackcorn
You will learn that a better question would be "What do you do to get rid of all the excess Humidity in my MES".
I've used 3 different MES units over the last 9 years, and have had good success with putting the AMNPS right in my MES.

Bear

Bear - My MES is dead - and about 3 years old. I was wondering if that was the life expectancy you were experiencing with your MES smokers?

Ed

Bear - My MES is dead - and about 3 years old. I was wondering if that was the life expectancy you were experiencing with your MES smokers?

Ed
I'm not Bear, but based on everything I've read in this forum, when an MES dies early (three years seems way too early) it is usually from moisture getting into either the wiring or the controller. I worked extensively on a neighbor's dead MES controller and found it to be shockingly (no pun intended) poorly designed. I've spent a career in electronics, and from that experience I know that all military gear to be used in the field has "conformal coating" applied to all circuit boards. It is a goopy glue-like substance that coats the entire board and all of the components so that if the board gets wet, none of the moisture penetrates the components, and doesn't allow electricity to leak across circuit traces.

Most commercial (i.e., non-military) manufacturers that produce electronics for outdoor use also coat their boards.

However, the MES controller board has no coating, and the enclosure for the board is not sealed in any way. Therefore, if you leave your smoker outside without a cover, moisture will get inside. Also, even with a cover, if you have a lousy cover (like the awful one made by Masterbuilt itself), moisture will get under the cover and, if you have a storm with enough wind, it will force water into the controller enclosure.

So, the one key recommendation to having your next MES (if that's what you get) last much, much longer, is to get a really good cover, and also take it inside any time you have really nasty storms coming your way.

Much of what Johnmeyer says is true:

I would say it depends on how hard you use it, and how dry you keep it.
Mine get used pretty much, but not every day, like some guys do.
And mine is on my roofed front porch, and only gets rained on when the wind is strong, and only gets 1" to 5" of snow on it about 4 to 8 times a year, plus I still keep my MES cover on it whenever it's not being used.
I used one for 4 years, before this one took over, and I've been using this one for 5 years. They both still work fine, but I like this Gen #2.5 better than the Gen #1 which is now my backup.

Bear

[
Nutshell did the same thing I did 4 years ago. smokers are just heated chambers that induce smoke. In the case of a MES 30 You get a insulated box. It is not the best insulation but it is insulated and it is fairly safe at a good price. Here are some other upgrades you can do that don't cost a lot of money. These are just personal opinions I think a smoker needs to have a stack not to big but one that works and looks good here's a look at mine. You need to get good smoke into the box and get it out. You don't want to trap your smoke and let it get stale.

View attachment 365925
Another inexpensive mod is the River Rat damper, It replaces the chip loader that has 3 small holes for air, this causes most folks to pull out the loader a few inches or altogether.. View attachment 365924

A fire bucket is optionalView attachment 365926 I like to use mine with the left over pellets that are hot and with my Weber charcoal grills. Having the pail I can clean up immediately after the cook. No waiting and I can clean up right away.

This is my latest mod some probe ports in the side of my smoker. With the stack shoving them down the exhaust is a pain. I used all brass parts.
View attachment 365929
You will think up your own, perhaps the mail box. It is by far the most popular..

What is the name or where did you get the black chimney addition?? Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky