Masterbuilt Electric Smoker comparison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

which model Masterbuilt smoker should I get?

• Higher model with the bells and whistles for $299

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Basic model for $170

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JerseyDrew83

Original poster
May 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

Looking to try my hand at smoking. From some preliminary research, I’m thinking of getting a

Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker for $170

OR

Masterbuilt 20072115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker, 30-Inch for $300

Question is, is it worth it to spend the extra $130 for the bells and whistles of the higher model (Glass window, wheels and Bluetooth capabilities) over the basic model?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Never seen the need for Bluetooth other than to check for power outages glass staying clear enuf to see stuff useless imo

Reactions: JerseyDrew83
I have both and the end results using both are the same.After a few uses you will tire of the chiploader and the single greatest investment you can make is a an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker,most like the tray(AMNPS) but I prefer the tube(AMNTS).

The MES controller is notorious for being inaccurate as far as set temp goes so a good dual probe thermometer is a great second investment,one probe for chamber temp and one for food temp.

The only reason I prefer the higher end model is the stainless door/window...lets me monitor how the smoke is circulating in the chamber and its much easier to clean.I could care less about bluetooth.

If you're the tinkering type(which I am not) there are many great mods you can make to the MES,with the "mailbox mod" being one of them.

Overall the MES smokers are great simply because of the price compared to other digital electric smokers.And I would also say this...SHOP AROUND!Just this past month I picked the higher end MES 30 at my local Walmart $69.99!

Jerry. welcome to the forum home of many opinions.
Wifi SS w/window or basic?
Let me tell you most all sub 600.00 digital smokers all use the same type of controller. They are a averaging (coasting) controller and the internal box temperature will fluctuate by 20 to 30 degrees in most cases. It cooks great BBQ since meat in most cases doesn't mind the the up and downs. Use the search button for more controler information.
I like SS but I can not justify the price difference. I don't need the wifi and the internal meat probe normally isn't very accurate.
With this in mind Learn on a low end and spend the money you save on the accessories you will end up buying any way. ( good thermometer and a AMNPS and some pellets.) Smoking meat may not be your thing and You will have saved some money.
Follow the forum ask questions learn and if you like the hobby then think about moving up to a smoker with a good PID controller.
In closing let me remind you these are only my opinions Not every one will agree but these are mine. Jted

So it sounds like, so far, the basic model is the way to go. I will invest in some extra probe thermometers. Pardon my ignorance but, What is the purpose of the A-maz-n pellet smoker? This is instead of feeding the chips? How do they ignite? 2 people suggest it so I assume it’s somthing that will make a difference.

The AMNPS is a must. I bought the MES 140B. No window basic model. I added an ANMPS and an Auber WiFi PID controller. The controller cost more than the smoker but is well worth it. Good luck!!

[
The AMNPS is a must. I bought the MES 140B. No window basic model. I added an ANMPS and an Auber WiFi PID controller. The controller cost more than the smoker but is well worth it. Good luck!!
Nutshell did the same thing I did 4 years ago. smokers are just heated chambers that induce smoke. In the case of a MES 30 You get a insulated box. It is not the best insulation but it is insulated and it is fairly safe at a good price. Here are some other upgrades you can do that don't cost a lot of money. These are just personal opinions I think a smoker needs to have a stack not to big but one that works and looks good here's a look at mine. You need to get good smoke into the box and get it out. You don't want to trap your smoke and let it get stale.

DSCN2487 (2).JPG
Another inexpensive mod is the River Rat damper, It replaces the chip loader that has 3 small holes for air, this causes most folks to pull out the loader a few inches or altogether.. DSCN2815 - Copy (1).JPG

A fire bucket is optional DSCN2557 (2).JPG I like to use mine with the left over pellets that are hot and with my Weber charcoal grills. Having the pail I can clean up immediately after the cook. No waiting and I can clean up right away.

This is my latest mod some probe ports in the side of my smoker. With the stack shoving them down the exhaust is a pain. I used all brass parts.
DSCN4059.JPG
You will think up your own, perhaps the mail box. It is by far the most popular..

Last edited:
I like the window because it allows my MES 40-inch smoker to cycle the heat more...put your hand on the window - then put your hand on the case - huge heat loss through the window. HOWEVER, this is only important on short smokes when I use the chip tube. If I am using the AMNPS, I wish I had the solid door. I gave up cleaning the window too...big pain. My window now looks like a solid door haha.

As for the Bluetooth...I agree with most comments above when the weather is good. But when it is 33 degrees, windy, sleeting (perfect smoking weather BTW), or during any other foul weather, I love the bluetooth to check the temperature of the meat probe and the smoker.

I would also seriously consider getting the 40 inch over the 30...The extra space is awesome.

[
Nutshell did the same thing I did 4 years ago. smokers are just heated chambers that induce smoke. In the case of a MES 30 You get a insulated box. It is not the best insulation but it is insulated and it is fairly safe at a good price. Here are some other upgrades you can do that don't cost a lot of money. These are just personal opinions I think a smoker needs to have a stack not to big but one that works and looks good here's a look at mine. You need to get good smoke into the box and get it out. You don't want to trap your smoke and let it get stale.

View attachment 365925
Another inexpensive mod is the River Rat damper, It replaces the chip loader that has 3 small holes for air, this causes most folks to pull out the loader a few inches or altogether.. View attachment 365924

A fire bucket is optionalView attachment 365926 I like to use mine with the left over pellets that are hot and with my Weber charcoal grills. Having the pail I can clean up immediately after the cook. No waiting and I can clean up right away.

This is my latest mod some probe ports in the side of my smoker. With the stack shoving them down the exhaust is a pain. I used all brass parts.
View attachment 365929
You will think up your own, perhaps the mail box. It is by far the most popular..
Nice work JTED. I got the Auber idea from your well detailed thread. I always like to tinker and the AMNPS and Auber were great mods. I am experimenting with charcoal pellets in my AMNPS to see if I can get a smoke ring. I know it doesn't change the favor but I'm interested to see if I can do it with consistency.

Hi everyone,

Looking to try my hand at smoking. From some preliminary research, I’m thinking of getting a

OR

Question is, is it worth it to spend the extra $130 for the bells and whistles of the higher model (Glass window, wheels and Bluetooth capabilities) over the basic model?

Thanks for your help!
If you're thinking about the more expensive one, you may want to go just go with the MB20075118, which is a 40"with all of those bells and whistles. Sam's Club just had a sale on them that might still be running.

Hi everyone,

OR

Thanks for your help!

I have the Bluetooth, but don't use it, because I don't have a phone or anything to go with it.
However that Bluetooth model is THE BEST MODEL to buy, because of the design of the unit itself.
I started with a 30", because it's only the two of us, but I found out no matter how many you're cooking for, a Rack of Ribs, a Brisket, and more than 7 pounds of Beef Sticks are still too big for a 30" MES.

As far as the Window goes, after having an MES without a Window for a year, and then going almost 8 years with an MES with a Window, I will never get another Smoker without a Window in the door!!!!!!!
And the heat loss through the window is no big deal. The MES with a window doesn't cycle much more than one without a window. The right side of an MES gets very hot too.

Let's not forget that one of the reasons most MES owners use an AMNPS for smoke is because the MES doesn't cycle often enough to keep the chips burning in the built in smoke drawer. (And that's with or without a window)

Here's a lot more about the MES units, good & bad points:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

So I went the cheaper one without the bells and whistles. Made some ribs yesterday. The smoker runs a lot hotter then the thermometer I put in there. I figured that out when I was seasoning it the night before.

The issue I had was when I put in the AMZPS it would go out and not produce any smoke. It worked well when I was seasoning it and when I was warming up the grill. But as soon as I put the ribs in and put apple juice in the water bowl it basically stopped smoking. I kept opening it and restating the AMZPS, but I have a feeling that increased the cook time. When the ribs were supposed to be done, they weren’t. I had to keep them in another hour longer, and they still probably could have used another hour.

I am assuming it was going out due to 2 things, lack of air flow and the high humidity created by the water bowl. Any thoughts on why this was occurring? And how to fix it.

Thank you to all of you for getting me through these rookie mistakes.

Which Generation MES did you get?---Very Important.
#1 Never put water or any other liquid in an MES water pan. Just cover it with foil & put it in place & leave it there.
#2 I need to know which generation MES it is to be able to tell you the best place for the AMNPS.
#3 You have to get the AMNPS lit properly before putting it in the MES. (This is the most important thing to do)
#4 How full do you fill the AMNPS? I keep mine 1/4" to 3/8" from the top.
#5 Keep your top vent open 100% when smoking.

That's enough for now.

Bear

I missed the sale on the one at Sam's club I'm looking to get a second smoker for the lake I got a gmg daniel Boone been looking at the master built I dont really want to spend over 300 I'm looking at masterbuilt pro 30 inch 20071317 from home depot are lowes has mes35b electric mb25075517 of you guys can help me put what to get

Which Generation MES did you get?---Very Important.
#1 Never put water or any other liquid in an MES water pan. Just cover it with foil & put it in place & leave it there.
#2 I need to know which generation MES it is to be able to tell you the best place for the AMNPS.
#3 You have to get the AMNPS lit properly before putting it in the MES. (This is the most important thing to do)
#4 How full do you fill the AMNPS? I keep mine 1/4" to 3/8" from the top.
#5 Keep your top vent open 100% when smoking.
Reading #4 above, do you not fill to the top in order to keep it from jumping rows, or do you do it to have it burn more reliably, or burn at a different rate?

Reading #4 above, do you not fill to the top in order to keep it from jumping rows, or do you do it to have it burn more reliably, or burn at a different rate?

Some have more trouble with it going out if it's lower than 3/8" from the top, and getting closer than 1/4" from the top is a good way to cause jumping rows.
The higher it is in a row the closer it is to the next row, due to the Pyramid shape of the interior walls.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky