1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt Customer Service is a joke.

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by normanaj, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Definitely something wrong with those new ones. Mine are all like new, and some of them are 8 years old.

I'm wondering if the replacement racks are actually from some place other than Masterbuilt?

Maybe you have to go after Cabelas for them?

Bear

2. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

The Cabela's website states the racks are from Masterbuilt and when I talked to them I was beyond the exchange period so they referred me to Masterbuilt.

I just wish Masterbuilt would give me a straight answer. Yes or no is all I'm looking for. Either they are going to stand behind their products or they wont but right now all I've gotten is the run around. That alone will make me think twice before buying another one of their products.

Ive been trying to justify getting myself a new welder so I may just do that and make my own stainless steel racks instead.

3. Bearcarver

Well, If that's the way they're gonna go---Back to the lousy CS they had 9 years ago, they'll deserve to lose business.

However the guy who started this thread, and yours, are the only bad ones I've seen in a long time.
    But it could be a start of a bad stretch of CS.:(
    Sometimes it just depends on who is answering the phones, or who they just hired to answer the phones.
    Keep us posted on how this proceeds.

Bear

4. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

Well today I received the first positive sounding email from them. They did indicate that "the unit has a 1 year warranty" and requested i email a copy of the receipt. By "unit" I certainly hope they are not referring to the smoker itself. I sent off the email so we will see what happens.

It did take 4 other emails with plenty of bold and underlined text making sure they knew I was inquiring about the recently purchased replacement racks and not the original smoker.
    I will post back when I get a reply.

5. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Hope it works out for you I had a bad experience with them about 5 - 6 years ago. I needed a new element for my MES30 they asked for serial # then said we no longer make that model but will give you a discount on a new one the unit was only 3 years old. I bet you that they are still using the same element today I know they were back then because I looked at them in the stores. The reason today that I have a propane smoker.

Warren

6. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

Finally got the good news email.

zwiller likes this.
  7. Bearcarver

That's more like it.
    Please keep us updated on this.

Bear

8. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

Some good news and bad news today. The good news is I received the racks today. The bad news is 1) I never received an email with the tracking details as stated I would receive but this isn't a big deal and 2) the racks I did receive already showed signs of cracking in the chrome so I don't think they will last very long either.

I think my solution will be making my own racks out of stainless steel.

9. Bearcarver

Sheesh---I would call them immediately & tell them, just so they have it on record that they were cracked when you got them.

Bear

10. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Take photos to show cracks if you can. Email them to them.

Warren

11. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

I still haven't been able to get a decent picture of the cracks with my crappy camera but once I do I will be sending them a rather lengthy email explaining my disappointment.

Still at this point I'm going to make my own 316 stainless racks. This is the only way I will have faith that there is no risk of contaminating my food with chrome chips.

12. Bearcarver

Probably a good idea to do.
    Maybe you can ask them in that email, how come some people (like me) still have Original Masterbuilt racks for 8 years, and they're still like new. Why did they go downhill in their quality?

Bear

13. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Smoke Blower

Just from my observation, the old racks I have had a copper plating under the chrome, the first set of replacement racks did not or the copper chipped away cleanly from the steel. I will try to peel a piece away when I get home to verify. The newest set of racks I received is still be to determined as there are no flakes missing yet, just cracking. I'm no expert of chrome plating but I was under the impression that the copper layer acted like an adhesion promoter between the steel and chrome. Similar to how a primer is applied before the basecoat on a car. With the rising cost of copper, I could see why masterbuilt could have removed the copper coating step or perhaps they now outsource it so someone else like china. I can not say for sure though, just speculation at this point.

14. Bearcarver

I'm from the Old School that says it's more cost effective to furnish one quality set of racks, than it is to furnish one set of cheap racks, and then have to replace the cheap racks 2, 3, 4, or more times.
    But what do I know---I'm just a Dumb Bear.

Bear

15. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've contacted MB customer service by phone a few times and only had one frustrating experience. Otherwise they have been superb. But are you saying CS couldn't find your mailed in rebate coupon?

16. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've owned my MES 30 Gen 1 for six years now and have had no problems with the racks rusting anywhere. I've used scrub sponges to clean them off. But then I keep my smoker under a cover and inside my garage when I'm not using it. It's been well used and loved but my MES remains in excellent condition with a minimum of cleaning fuss.

17. normanaj

normanaj Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I'm not going to rehash this again,all I can say is reread posts 1 and 3.As far as their CS goes its been an acknowledge and move on experience for me.