Major Winter Storm Bears Down On KC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beer-b-q

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 1, 2007
Major Winter Storm Bears Down On KC

8 To 14 Inches Expected With 40 MPH Winds

POSTED: 3:38 pm CST January 30, 2011

UPDATED: 8:14 am CST January 31, 2011

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A wintry mix followed by 8 to 14 inches of snow is on its way to the Kansas City area Monday and Tuesday, forcing residents to prepare for one of the biggest storms in years.

KCTV5 meteorologist Gary Amble said that Monday should see some light freezing precipitation, but it should not amount to anything heavy. He said the afternoon rush hour could feature a few slick spots, but said that Tuesday will be the far more significant weather event.

The snow will move into the Kansas City area late Monday and will last through the day Tuesday, KCTV5 meteorologist Tom Wachs said. Winds of 40 mph will go along with 8 to 14 inches of snow, making for blizzard conditions.

"Road crews will have a difficult time with this snow, because it will be blowing around so much," Wachs said.

Following the snow, the high on Wednesday will be 8, with a Thursday morning low down to to -7 degrees.

Winter storm warnings have been issued for the entire KCTV5 viewing area through Wednesday morning.                                                                                                                  

Wachs said to not focus on snow amount, but the impact. The storm track could still shift, moving the heaviest snow, but the impact of snow with 40 mph winds will be the same, regardless of amount.

Wachs said the storm has moved its track to a more northerly pattern, which is why the Kansas City area could see the heavier snow amounts. The storm could be worst than the Christmas 2009 blizzard, Wachs said.

The National Weather Service forecast freezing rain and snow across the region Monday, heralding the start of a storm system that is expected to bring heavy snowfall Tuesday and Wednesday, paralyzing parts of the region. The storm was expected to march from the Rockies through much of the Plains and Midwest before making its way to the East Coast.

Early Monday, freezing drizzle made roads slick in northwest Missouri, causing cars to slide off highways in Buchanan County and prompting authorities to cancel classes at public and private schools in the area. Freezing rain and fog led to some flight delays Sunday at the airport in Rapid City, South Dakota.

Chicago and Milwaukee were expected to be particularly hard-hit. The weather service issued a blizzard watch for Tuesday and Wednesday for southern Wisconsin, northern Illinois and northwest Indiana that included those cities. Forecasters said snowfall totals could reach up to 2 feet in some areas by the time the storm system has moved through the region.

The weather service said the heavy snowfall combined with high winds could create whiteout conditions, particularly on Tuesday night into Wednesday, making driving extremely dangerous in some areas. Snow drifts of 5 feet to 10 feet are possible. The service said winds on Tuesday could reach up to 60 mph in open areas and near Lake Michigan.

Once the storm has moved through, bitterly cold temperatures are expected to grip much of the region. The weather service said wind chills as cold as 40 degrees below zero could hit parts of North Dakota and South Dakota.

Buckle down and fire up the smoker!!!LOL You will need snacks between shoveling and snowblowing anyway!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

So not looking forward to this.  They even let the kids out of school early today.  This morning at work, had a truck driver fall right on his *** on our front walk. My husband is driving back from Jeff City with a new truck he bought, just called and said the roads were a bit slick so it will take awhile. At least I didn't have to stop at the store on the way home and deal with people who are amazed it actually snows in the winter in the Midwest!

shezzzz the stores have been a rat race for the last 2 days.

Since I do contract work for the power and telephone companys I sure hope that all the suv owners will stay home tomorrow but I bet I am wrong.

They make it really tough to get around to fix the stuff the storms tear up!!!!!!

The last storm we had, it took me 2 hours to make a 20 minute trip.

Sorry for the rant.

Be Safe everyone this storm is gonna be a rough one.

And remember, no matter how bad you want to smoke. Dont run the generator in the garage when the lights are out.

Les, with 40 mph winds I don't think we'll be doing much smokin.

Barbequeen, Just come on down and join the fun!!

And yes Terry I'll be one of those out in it tomorrow in the Titanic. My 2500HD 4wd crew cab long box.

Anybody want to come over and shovel?

Well it has started,  I will post some pics later...

it's icing like crazy here in st.louis!!  my truck is COVERED in ice......i'd rather have the snow!!

Patience Grasshopper,  good things come to all who wait, It will soon be yours...

5" and still falling in dallas . Waiting on the squall line to get here. thing is moving real fast.

Here are a few pics form Kansas City, Kansas...

2a865948_103_0496.jpg

d8ce536a_103_0503.jpg

d87e8185_103_0507.jpg

8cbdcef6_103_0508.jpg

b97bbed8_103_0509.jpg

3e4a0851_103_0510.jpg

a5dd8066_103_0511.jpg

87946eaf_103_0514.jpg

e5447919_103_0515.jpg

52a32f8e_103_0516.jpg

caa8b4b0_103_0517.jpg

92287bb7_103_0502.jpg

Yep, it's been a dandy.  Here's my drive at about 4pm when I got home from work.  I made it down our unplowed street without too much problem, but couldn't make it all the way up the drive. 

I'm about 30 miles South of the KC Metro area. 

9838f232_IMG_1044.jpg

10 minutes of shovel work and I was able to get in the garage.

99727db5_IMG_1047.jpg

Bonus Picture: It's gonna be hovering around zero the next few days, so Max gets to spend a couple days in the garage.

21629493_IMG_0154.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky