Mac and cheese question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vegassmokeout

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey ya'll. doing some mac and cheese this weekend and have a question.  Some recipes call for al dente then smoke @ 225 for 2+ hours.  Others call for fully cooked pasta with 1 hour smoke time.  Has anyone done one or the other or both and what is best?  Thanks in advance.  Smoke on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it depends on how you like your pasta and how much smoke you want.

I like all pasta al dente and I like a lot of smoke. I did some once and smoked it for about 2 hours, it was fabulous!

I also agree but I think you need to find what it is that you like. Use the ideas given then adjust for your taste 

Guess it depends on how you like your pasta and how much smoke you want.

I like all pasta al dente and I like a lot of smoke. I did some once and smoked it for about 2 hours, it was fabulous!
Dave, Thanks for the info but after 2 hours do the noddles come out al dente? Or do they come out "perfectly cooked" Reason I ask is I have 6 small mouths that will be eating it so I want to come as close to normal mac and cheese. 

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) I don't think the noodle really cooked that much more in the smoker. I made a homemade recipe with real cheese and not a lot of liquid. I also had chopped up smoked sausage in it. 

Are you making homemade or something out of a box? The more liquid the more the noodles may cook.

I would cook the noodles how you like them or just a tad underdone from what you like and it should come out fine.

lol...I guess that's a question of personal preference--I call al dente, "perfectly cooked"  :D
yeahthat.gif

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) I don't think the noodle really cooked that much more in the smoker. I made a homemade recipe with real cheese and not a lot of liquid. I also had chopped up smoked sausage in it. 

Are you making homemade or something out of a box? The more liquid the more the noodles may cook.

I would cook the noodles how you like them or just a tad underdone from what you like and it should come out fine.
A masterbuilt recipe. 2 cups of milk is the only liquid to the 32 of of noodles.  Then ill kick it up from there. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky