lost a family member today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We had one cat we rescued off the roadside as a kitten, all black... turned into our house cat. When wife started vacuuming cat used to go lay down in front of vacuum cleaner until wife took head off and used hose to vacuum cats tummy, after that cat would leave her alone.
Just thought it might cheer ya up a little!

Ryan

Our cat story.

A neighbor moved and left their pregnant cat behind. She went feral really fast and wouldn't allow anyone near her. She nested in the empty backyard and gave birth to five kittens. My wife put food out in our backyard and the mom would come eat, then disappear back to her babies.

The cat's nest was just under shrubs. When rain and cold were predicted, my wife used old blankets and a cardboard box to build a nest next to the place she put the food on our back patio.

The next morning, through an open window, we hear a simultaneous thump-squeak. We checked the backyard. Nothing. We go back to watching TV, then we hear it again. "WTH is that?" Checked. Nothing.

The third time we heard it we both stood at the windows to the backyard to see if it would happen again. Sure enough, the mom appears at the top of the redwood fence separating our yard from the neighboor's with a kitten in her mouth. She opens her mouth, the kitten falls 6 feet, thump, squeak. Same for the 5th one. She then moved them into the nest my wife built.

Our daughters named the mom Mocha. They named the kittens Shadow, Patches, Pieces, Puzzle, and one name we can't remember. Puzzle and the nameless kitten got adopted. The rest stayed with us and lived happy lives as spayed outdoor cats.

Later, another large cat with dog-like devotion moved into our backyard. We named him Fuzzy.

They all lived happy lives. A couple even became lap cats when they ventured into the house. We're catless now, but my wife is starting to hint she wants a purring companion. I can't purr worth a crap. The Dodo YouTube channel is the absolute cause of my wife's desire due to heartwarming pet videos.

Thanks everyone.

Wife is doing very well.
We left for the day today and she commented that Kitty would usually greet us at the door. Not a weepy moment, just a comment for things are different.

After 19# Kitty got put on a diet, she would scavenge anything off the floor. She loved smoked meat or any people food that was spilled or shared. Wife had already fed her deep fried chicken tenders from local grocer for years.

Reactions: Lorenzoid
Its a hard day. Very hard day. Each day doesn't get easier but you understand what happened and what it means. Hopefully everyone finds someone else who can take that new extra love the family has to give.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Very Sorry to hear that FA !!
I've always loved Kitties, and it hurts to lose them.
Our Last one "Bozo" lived 17 years and 3 months.
Our Current Cat "Smokey" is already 12, and he sleeps between my Ankles every night while we watch our Nightly Movie.
At night in bed he sleeps on Mrs Bear's side, because I nudge him harder than she does every time he Snores, which is most of the night !!!

Bear

Sorry to hear this. It is never good to lose a family member and hard when you have to take them in yourself. Its normally for the right reason BUT never easy to do.
I have 2 little girls left ( dogs ) that are getting up there 13 and 16. And 2 years ago had to do it to my little one . She was 16 She was with me almost everyday for the 16 years . Still miss her a lot.

Take Care

David

Love the stories of pets you adopt, or do they adopt you?

"Kitty" (yeah creative name) was with us for a very long time. She turned 19 in early May and we adopted her from friends.
Timid cat, but luckily loved a few people that would cat sit so we could vacation.
After our last vacation in January this year, Kitty completely changed and was not very social. Her arthritis was already chronic and the meds were barely keeping up.
At night in bed he sleeps on Mrs Bear's side, because I nudge him harder than she does every time he Snores, which is most of the night !!!

Bear
LOL
We don't have the videos of how loud Kitty purred and snored. Not allowed in bed for that snoring!

Love the stories of pets you adopt, or do they adopt you?

"Kitty" (yeah creative name) was with us for a very long time. She turned 19 in early May and we adopted her from friends.
Timid cat, but luckily loved a few people that would cat sit so we could vacation.
After our last vacation in January this year, Kitty completely changed and was not very social. Her arthritis was already chronic and the meds were barely keeping up.
LOL
We don't have the videos of how loud Kitty purred and snored. Not allowed in bed for that snoring!

LOL---It's hard to believe how such a cute little button nose can freaking snore so loud. He even snores during the day, while he's watching birds out the window, but I'm not trying to sleep then.
But We still Love him!!

When our last Cat died, and then our Lab, I said "No more Pets---It hurts too much when they die". But this Kitty & his 2 brothers needed homes, and I figured he'll outlive me, so I won't have to watch him Die. Bear Jr got the other 2.

Bear

Reactions: Fueling Around
Snoring... I will try to have the better half get the black one (Bubba) snoring and the orange one (Floydd) purring. Can hear either across the room. 😂

LOL---I like the Purring, but I gotta turn the TV up when Smokey is really into the snoring!!! His Brothers "Cheech & Chong" live at Bear Jr's house, and they don't snore near as loudly as Smokey does.

Bear

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky