Looking to Buy First True Smoker... Input & Guidance Appreciated!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WeSmokinNow

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Florida
Hello, all! We are new members to the site. We have been on the sidelines monitoring the amazing input all of the experts and DIY'ers on this site have to offer (we have dipped our toes in the water and made a couple of things posted by memers a time or two as well!).

Over the past few years, we have used a cheap propane smoker and wood packets (foil and cast iron) to smoke various foods. We have decided its time to step our game up and get a true smoker.

We have narrowed the field to a WSM, BGE, or Kamado Joe (not all that narrow, I agree). Thinking the start with the WSM, but not really sure if it would be better to spring on the BGE or Kamado Joe. Seeking the input and wisdom of the folks on this amazing site to help make the final purchase decision.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Weber 5791e8a7c8bc0.png

My vote also would be WSM....I've only had mine for about 6 months but I started on a propane smoker and never would of thought charcoal would be easier. For the money ease of use I would think it be hard to beat. Wish I would of started with one

Reactions: WeSmokinNow
My vote is for the WSM also. The toughest part will be choosing which size to get.

Chris

My vote is the reverse flow offset..wait i mean the WSM 22.5 ;) seriously though...i have a reverse flow offset and still use my WSM on smaller smokes and for cold smoking jerky. ( yes you can do that too) I suggest the 22.5 because you can use less of the smoker but you can't make it bigger.

Just my $0.02,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: WeSmokinNow
Thanks guys. WSM was my gut choice, and you all have confirmed that for us. 22.5 is what we have been thinking too since you can't make it bigger as pointed out above.

If you are looking for strictly smoking then I agree with everyone else and say the WSM is right for you. However, if you want to grill as well then you won't be disappointed with a kamado grill. I love the versatility that a kamado provides and I use mine multiple times per week for both purposes. It is also nice being able to reuse the lump charcoal.

For real guys...is there something that a kamodo/egg does that a WSM can't? I know the ceramic cookers can hold heat better, but that's about it.

Mike

For real guys...is there something that a kamodo/egg does that a WSM can't? I know the ceramic cookers can hold heat better, but that's about it.

Mike
There is nothing that the WSM can't do. I don't understand why Weber makes anything other than the WSM. The WSM can indeed grill so why do they keep making kettles?

Reactions: mike5051
Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it! You've been a great help! "LIKE"

Mike
No, thank you. I never realized that the only difference between a WSM and a kamado was the ability to hold heat. Kicking myself for spending a little over $300 for my kamado when I could have gotten a superior product for less.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky