Looking to Buy First True Smoker... Input & Guidance Appreciated!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Once again....how it superior? Just asking? That is why I started with "for real". I own a WSM, but still wonder if I would like BGE more. My better half wants to buy me one, but I truly wonder if it would be superior. Thanks again for the input!

Mike

Once again....how it superior? Just asking? That is why I started with "for real". I own a WSM, but still wonder if I would like BGE more. My better half wants to buy me one, but I truly wonder if it would be superior. Thanks again for the input!

Mike
I'm sorry, but I took your comment more as a statement instead of a question. I never said a kamado is a superior smoker. I am happy with my kamado as a smoker, but I don't say it is the best way to smoke. As a grill I will say that a kamado is better than a WSM. Weber makes grills and they make the WSM for smoking and that leads me to believe that the WSM is not the ideal grill.

If I had to choose between a BGE and a WSM based on budget I would have taken the WSM route for sure. Luckily I found a kamado for cheap.

its like saying which is better that Ford or this Chevy. Both have their pluses and minuses and everyone has their preference. get the smoker right for you and enjoy your hobby. if you can afford both get both but like most of us get what you feel is right for you. I know the BGE is a great smoker and probably a much better high temp grill than the WSM but unfortunately i have never used one. to each their own.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

We have narrowed the field to a WSM, BGE, or Kamado Joe (not all that narrow, I agree). Thinking the start with the WSM, but not really sure if it would be better to spring on the BGE or Kamado Joe. Seeking the input and wisdom of the folks on this amazing site to help make the final purchase decision.

Thanks in advance for the help!

WeSmokinNow, well there been allot of back and forth on this thread. Either way you go let us know. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these.

My observations:
WSM: 14 price 199.00, 18 price 299.00, 22 price 399.00 dollars. WSM is easily portable on any ground surface. WSM is a true smoker that can be used as a griller, although not efficiently. WSM's also have two grates for more cooking space.

BGE: small 549.00 to 700.00, medium 649 to 800.00, large 849 to 1100, XL over 1149.00. BGE's are heavy and either need to be on a cart w/wheels on a patio or similar hard surface or built into a BBQ stationary table. BGE's are either a smoker or griller easily interchangeable. Not sure if they have two grates.

Kamando Joe: 18 950.00 to 1800.00. I don't know the grate sizes. Description appears to be similar to the BGE.

In my situation I chose the WSM. Because I store my WSM in my garage and smoke in my backyard. So carrying a Kamando type unit down a step or two and moving it around on my yard wasn't an option. I also like the fact that the WSM is less expensive. I use my Kettle for grilling and smaller smokes, and it's very mobile. Both can be had for less then one kamando type grill. Also living in VT I worried about cooking in a colder climate. I've read that if you start a fire that's to hot in the kamando the ceramic can crack. You live in Florida I think - so that's not a real concern. Pluses on the Kamando is that it can reach/sustain higher temps then the WSM or Kettle. Both will probably last a lifetime with very little care. Both appear to be close to set-n-forget it type smokers. Both are user friendly. Customer service I can only say that Weber has been top notch.

Good luck with your choice.

Nice write up Chris. I am going to give another vote for the WSM and splurge and get the 22, I wish I would have done that when I bought my 18. I agree that grilling would be easier on the BGE and Komodo, but it can be done on the WSM, I use mine as a grill every once in awhile.

Thanks Geebs, I really love the space the 22 has to offer and use it often. Have fun when you get it.

Chris

Thanks everyone. Chris your write up is great. The wife is getting me a 22 WSM for Father’s Day (which means I am ordering and paying for it lol). Will update you all once we are up and smoking and will post some early results. Thanks again for all the input. Love this site!

Dale

PS
I guess this could be its own new thread but what are all you WSM fans’ stance on seasoning this bad boy out of the box??? Have read a ton of options, like Meathead Goldwyn’s posting on the topic but curious about other WSM users think and do. Thanks!

No real seasoning needed since its porcelain coated.Get it stabilized to temp wanted for 30 mins or so with both racks in it and start cooking.

Although I did season mine when I first got it. I agree there is no real need to do it. Make sure your grates are good and clean before you use it. Can't wait to see yours in action.

Chris

Glad you chose the WSM "WSN." Seems like it should have been a natural choice given your user initials are only one letter off!

The learning curve is short, no seasoning necessary (other than a grate wash), and great Q right out of the box.

I've had a coworker, a neighbor, and a friend who all owned either a BGE or Kamado-ish grill/smoker. None of them could ever get the hang of low n slow with their equipment. It was completely their fault, not the equipment, and I wasn't much help because I've never used one to experience the learning curve.

In another thread I read that BGE voids their warranty if ANYTHING but their products are used in the equipment. I don't know for a fact that is true, but here's the thread.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/big-green-egg.250255/#post-1595195

Glad you chose the WSM "WSN." Seems like it should have been a natural choice given your user initials are only one letter off!

The learning curve is short, no seasoning necessary (other than a grate wash), and great Q right out of the box.

I've had a coworker, a neighbor, and a friend who all owned either a BGE or Kamado-ish grill/smoker. None of them could ever get the hang of low n slow with their equipment. It was completely their fault, not the equipment, and I wasn't much help because I've never used one to experience the learning curve.

In another thread I read that BGE voids their warranty if ANYTHING but their products are used in the equipment. I don't know for a fact that is true, but here's the thread.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/big-green-egg.250255/#post-1595195
Thanks! I have heard and read similar things related to learning the BGE/Kamado usage. As for he warranty I think that is true too since a local dealer near me basically said the same thing (to sell me all sorts of accessories too). WSM and WSN will be a match made in smoking heaven! Thanks again for the input!

Dale

The OP is in Florida. Although that state can get some cold temps, it's not Minnesota, eh. That WSM will serve him well all winter long.
Well, hang me for a horse thief. I got my start on a twenty dollar thrift shop smoker. Smoked my way into being the holiday cook. Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say, don't kick yourself over the one you didn't buy. The smoker he has is a good one.

Update...WSM has arrived and has been assembled! Maiden voyage is the family cue this weekend. Pulled pork is first up! Will keep you all posted on the results. Thanks again for all the input.

Dale

PS
Took Panther and others’ advice and picked up a kettle for grilling so my WSM will be for strictly smoking all things delicious m!

Attachments

• 6D6E5378-7CC3-4A2B-B160-75A458947FB3.jpeg
    6D6E5378-7CC3-4A2B-B160-75A458947FB3.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Smoke23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky