London Broil, Three Stepping It's Way On to My Plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I spent a lot of time in Asia in the early 90s (Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia & Singapore), so these are not alien flavors to me. I've only been cooking with them for a few years, though.
You were very fortunate. I have a carbon steel wok and I love to cook both various Chinese and Thai recipes, all fairly simple. The only Korean recipes I've used were for Korean BBQ short ribs and BBQ sauce. My wife made the recipe using the Gochagaru. It was from a spiralizer cookbook using daikon "rice". It was a very tasty version of Pork Bibimbap with Ginger Gochagaru. 

McCormick sells gochugaru. I bought mine at my local grocery (Kroger). (Also available on Amazon.)

My memory is a bit shakey after 20+ years, so I can't tell you how authentic it is, but I like it anyway...
We checked our local Fred Meyer (a Kroger store) and they all they had was Kroger brand "Korean Inspired" version of Gochujang which didn't look very authentic from the ingredients list. I found real Gochagaru on Amazon really cheap with no sales tax and free shipping for an 8 oz bag. 

Saw some "London Broil" roast beef at the deli, and then this post.  Would love to find a decently priced cut of meat to make some roast beef for some sammies.

If I followed this recipe and wanted some rare-ish roast beef, would it work?  Would you still recommend grilling it?

Interested in your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Saw some "London Broil" roast beef at the deli, and then this post.  Would love to find a decently priced cut of meat to make some roast beef for some sammies.

If I followed this recipe and wanted some rare-ish roast beef, would it work?  Would you still recommend grilling it?

Highly... Strongly... And most Definitely recommend this cooking/slicing method, this method is the 'London Broil', and is what makes the meat tender/juicy.
You don't NEED to marinate either, but it can help tenderize and has the benefit of adding your desired flavors to the meat.
A dry brine (rub) with coarse salt (and maybe some other spices for added flavors) and allowed to re-absorb into the meat will yield excellent results too.
For sammiches slice it as thin as possible across the grain.

Going by the price per pound (at least down here). Top Round cut for the London Broil is one of the less expensive, big pieces of beef.
But it must be cooked/sliced properly or it easily earns it's bad rep as a tough/flavorless hunk of beef.

I use London Broil. aka top round, for beef jerky. I buy it on sale and have them slice it to my specifications. You could buy the whole roast and definitely cook it in your smoker and then quickly reverse sear it on a hot grill to finish it off. 

I know this was posted a bit ago, but you just marinated the meat, no rub, right???  I just came across this post and it looked so good, I'm doing some this weekend.  Thanks for the post!!!

Lee

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky