London Broil, Three Stepping It's Way On to My Plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking meal and inspiring! I can afford London Broil, I'm trying it soon, thanks!
Ya don't need to do any marinades to it either, just good'ol SPG and cook it rare/med rare.
Super hot sear to lock in juices, then a good rest and cut thin across the grain.
Throw some grilled/spiced veggies on top and you've a meal fit for a king.

ETA: Thank you for the Point.

Last edited:
Three Stepping London Broil

Two 3# London Broils marinated for eight hours in the marinade listed below.

Marinade
1C Water
1C Soy sauce
3T Fish sauce
3T Worcestershire sauce
1 medium white onion, chopped
1C Pineapple juice
1C Crushed Pineapple
3t Sugar

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_162918030_zpsjjedobzr.jpg.html

Smoke over Mesquite at 225'F until 120'F internal temp

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_173748946_zpscxdebnc1.jpg.html

Then on to a preheated 500'F+ grill and bring the IT to 135'F

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_174511331_zpsgikwwevs.jpg.html

Rest for 1/2 hour and slice thin across the grain

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_181212097_zps1peq490s.jpg.html

Baby Bok Choi with Onions, sauteed in Garlic oil, Soy sauce and Fish sauce

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_181534808_zpsmhdbmuxo.jpg.html

Fruit Salad, Lychee, Longan, Kiwi, Pineapple, Pecans and all drizzled in Honey

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_183913662_zpstj0ba9q3.jpg.html

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_170725055_zpsnlts1gjn.jpg.html

Money Shot

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170408_181838120_zpsbrqvtssh.jpg.html
First, looks wonderful. But why fish sauce, and one tablespoon of it? What do you like about the taste it contributes to your marinade? I use it all the time with my Asian stir fry recipes but then I'm adding it in with stuff like oyster sauce and of course soy sauce. At first I thought fish sauce wouldn't go with Worcestershire sauce but then I remembered that the W sauce contains anchovies. I think it's best I taste your grilled London Broil before making my final decision. 
Looks-Great.gif

And I have another use for London Broil. I had a recipe for using eye of round for making beef jerky. The head butcher at the supermarket where I shop suggested London Broil because it's less expensive and tastes just as good. He was right. I have him or the other butchers slice it up thin and then all I need to do is marinate and smoke the meat. It's turned out great and while I've yet to see eye of round on sale, all the supermarkets frequently runs sales on top round, aka London Broil in most meat departments.  

Marinade

1C Water
1C Soy sauce
3T Fish sauce
3T Worcestershire sauce
1 medium white onion, chopped
1C Pineapple juice
1C Crushed Pineapple
3t Sugar
First, looks wonderful. But why fish sauce, and one tablespoon of it? What do you like about the taste it contributes to your marinade? I use it all the time with my Asian stir fry recipes but then I'm adding it in with stuff like oyster sauce and of course soy sauce. At first I thought fish sauce wouldn't go with Worcestershire sauce but then I remembered that the W sauce contains anchovies. I think it's best I taste your grilled London Broil before making my final decision.

What is there not to like about fish sauce, especially if one already likes Soy, Ponzu, Shoyu ponzu, Oyster sauce, Unagi tare, Teriyaki and Worcestershire and all the like.
They all seem to compliment the other's taste profiles.
I like the... Oceanic... Super clean Fish & Salt flavors, with a hint of smoke and sweetness at the end.
I've taken to experimenting with it in lots of stuff, and I add a dash or two in anything with Soy, Oyster, Teriyaki and Worcestershire.
A dash or three in Caesar dressing, in some soups, gumbo, beef gravy and more.
Straight for dipping egg/spring rolls, sometimes Thai style with some chiles or Sriracha.

First time making this marinade, it is a work in progress.
In hindsight, I'd cut both the Fish and Worcestershire back to 1.5T each, omit the added sugar, and try again.
Look forward to trying it on fish and pork.

One tablespoon? No sir, there are three tablespoons.
T = tablespoon t = teaspoon

The Top Round aka London Broil is a prime cut of meat for jerky, relatively inexpensive, very lean and clean.
Just slice, marinade/season and jerk it.

Reactions: daricksta
What is there not to like about fish sauce, especially if one already likes Soy, Ponzu, Shoyu ponzu, Oyster sauce, Unagi tare, Teriyaki and Worcestershire and all the like.
They all seem to compliment the other's taste profiles.
I like the... Oceanic... Super clean Fish & Salt flavors, with a hint of smoke and sweetness at the end.
I've taken to experimenting with it in lots of stuff, and I add a dash or two in anything with Soy, Oyster, Teriyaki and Worcestershire.
A dash or three in Caesar dressing, in some soups, gumbo, beef gravy and more.
Straight for dipping egg/spring rolls, sometimes Thai style with some chiles or Sriracha.

First time making this marinade, it is a work in progress.
In hindsight, I'd cut both the Fish and Worcestershire back to 1.5T each, omit the added sugar, and try again.
Look forward to trying it on fish and pork.

One tablespoon? No sir, there are three tablespoons.
T = tablespoon t = teaspoon

The Top Round aka London Broil is a prime cut of meat for jerky, relatively inexpensive, very lean and clean.
Just slice, marinade/season and jerk it.
Sometimes I don't read so good. I understood the difference between T and t but for some reason I read the amounts as 1T and not 3T. But I'll concede your palate and seasoning knowledge surpasses mine. I just don't have the experience of tasting fish sauce in other types of recipes. I tend not to experiment that much. But then when I think about it, sirloin and flank steaks are basic ingredients in Asian beef recipes and there are plenty that use fish sauce, oyster sauce, etc. So, I'm getting it now. But yeah, I'd go easy on both in other marinades. If the marinade is particularly spicy, I like adding sugar for a sweet and spicy mix. But I tell ya, you really know your stuff, and you've inspired me to stretch my culinary wings. 

Have you ever noticed that other cuts of beef can be labled London Broil? London Broil is a style of prepping and cooking beef and not a cut of meat. Flank steak can also be labeled London Broil. But yep, I only use top round for beef jerky. 

Love every bit of this post! Points for the recipe!

Disco
High praise from you sir, too Kind, thank you for the Point.

Sometimes I don't read so good. I understood the difference between T and t but for some reason I read the amounts as 1T and not 3T. But I'll concede your palate and seasoning knowledge surpasses mine. I just don't have the experience of tasting fish sauce in other types of recipes. I tend not to experiment that much. But then when I think about it, sirloin and flank steaks are basic ingredients in Asian beef recipes and there are plenty that use fish sauce, oyster sauce, etc. So, I'm getting it now. But yeah, I'd go easy on both in other marinades. If the marinade is particularly spicy, I like adding sugar for a sweet and spicy mix. But I tell ya, you really know your stuff, and you've inspired me to stretch my culinary wings. 

Have you ever noticed that other cuts of beef can be labled London Broil? London Broil is a style of prepping and cooking beef and not a cut of meat. Flank steak can also be labeled London Broil. But yep, I only use top round for beef jerky. 
[/quote]Yes'sir, I'm aware of the status of London Broil.
Just like dirtsailor2003 referring to it as Round Steaks and Pops6927 asking which cut of beef they were, us beef eaters are often painfully aware of what we're paying for.
I prefer the Flank for the London Broil. But Flank steak has gotten expensive as of late, I'll not pay the premium price when Top Round is still relatively inexpensive.
But I will use thinner cuts of Flank for my chiles, tacos and fajitas.

Keep putting the connections together and trying new things, experiment recipes and your palate. Fear no Food. Well, maybe Durian, yeah, run away from Durian.
Just like Caesar dressing, I wanted to make some but had no anchovies/anchovy paste. But I had fish sauce, and what are many fish sauces made from? Anchovies and salt.
So I substituted the fish sauce for the anchovies and salt. Turned out pretty danged good, and no one but I was the wiser.
No anchovies on your pizza? A dash of fish sauce does the trick, concentrated salty/fishy goodness....... BAM!

Last edited:
Yes'sir, I'm aware of the status of London Broil.
Just like dirtsailor2003 referring to it as Round Steaks and Pops6927 asking which cut of beef they were, us beef eaters are often painfully aware of what we're paying for.
I prefer the Flank for the London Broil. But Flank steak has gotten expensive as of late, I'll not pay the premium price when Top Round is still relatively inexpensive.

Keep putting the connections together and trying new things, experiment recipes and your palate. Fear no Food. Well, maybe Durian, yeah, run away from Durian.
Just like Caesar dressing, I wanted to make some but had no anchovies/anchovy paste. But I had fish sauce, and what are many fish sauces made from? Anchovies and salt.
So I substituted the fish sauce for the anchovies and salt. Turned out pretty danged good, and no one but I was the wiser.
No anchovies on your pizza? A dash of fish sauce does the trick, concentrated salty/fishy goodness....... BAM![/quote]
First of all, I've been remiss in failing to compliment you on your gorgeous kiwi and pecan fruit salad. Excellent job. You have kitchen chops alright. 

As for round steak, I never buy it. I'll buy top round, bottom round, bottom round rump and eye of round roasts but never those cuts of meat for steaks. I grew up on overcooked, tasteless round steaks. As far as fear no food, I tell you, ChileRelleno, I fear gefilte fish. If you've never seen a jar of it or watched your mother eat it (the same woman who mishandled those round steaks), consider yourself lucky. 

I love flank steak. That and skirt steak are my go-to grilling meats for Mexican recipes. For Mexican dishes that call for shredded beef my wife and I use slow cooked (or pressure cooked) boneless chuck pot roast. Flank is also excellent for Asian recipes but I find top sirloin more tender and just as flavorful. But I'll happily use either. Yeah, flank steak has jumped in price so I usually buy it at Costco or look for a sale at my Safeway store. 

I hated anchovies for years because my palate wasn't developed enough. I love their delicious saltiness now. My wife read of a trick of adding anchovy paste to tomato sauce for a better umami flavor. It works indeed if just the right amount is added. She makes pizza from scratch but the only anchovies in it are in the tomato sauce. 

I can be creative but on a very limited basis. Sometimes different ingredients for a dish will pop into my head as I imagine what they'll taste like. But by and large I'm dependent on recipes although I may tweak those. When it comes to developing rubs and BBQ sauces, I can't do it. Way too many variables and it takes too much time for taste testing, making adjustments, and such. I'd rather take an established recipe and cook it as is or tweak if it needs it. 

Very nice, and I'm very late! London is on sale here a lot, but I always pass. Marinating sounds like the way to go. Do you think it would work without the fish sauce?
The whole meal looks fantastic (except maybe for the fish sauce....).
:points:

Very nice, and I'm very late! London is on sale here a lot, but I always pass. Marinating sounds like the way to go. Do you think it would work without the fish sauce?
The whole meal looks fantastic (except maybe for the fish sauce....).
:points:
Sure it would, any tenderizing marinade will work, the only concern is what flavors you prefer.

Thanks for the Point.

Last edited:
Yes'sir, I'm aware of the status of London Broil.

No anchovies on your pizza? A dash of fish sauce does the trick, concentrated salty/fishy goodness....... BAM![/quote]
ChileRellano! Our conversation just became relevant. Last Saturday night my wife, using a spiralizer recipe, made a gourmet bacon cheeseburger recipe where she made hamburger buns out of potatoes and flour (called potato fritters in the recipe. Asiago cheese was also in there) among some other goodies. Anyway, to season the burger meat one of the ingredients was fish sauce among other spices and seasonings. You were right. Oh how you were right. That was among THE best burgers I've ever had, at home or at a restaurant. Then we watched a cooking competition show and one of the cooks used fish sauce in their recipe for something I forget. You're cutting edge, my friend. Fish sauce is the new Worcestershire even if you are using Worcestershire. Stevia was another ingredient. 

In that same show, another cook used Gochagaru, a Korean red chile pepper my wife and I were introduced to an another spiralizer recipe only a few weeks ago. Looks like fish sauce and Gochagaru are the newish darlings of the culinary world. 

Last edited:
I use fish sauce and gochugaru almost daily in my lunch soup (primarily mushroom, kale, celery, onion, red bell peppers, ginger & garlic - clearly diet food...)

Years, decades, centuries and millennia.

I've been using it for almost two years.
Popularity building over last decade in the US outside of Asian cooking.
Been in the US as long as Asians have been immigrating.
Centuries/millennia of use in Asia.
Two millennia to it's origins in the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
Years, decades, centuries and millennia.

I've been using it for almost two years.
Popularity building over last decade in the US outside of Asian cooking.
Been in the US as long as Asians have been immigrating.
Centuries/millennia of use in Asia.
Two millennia to it's origins in the Roman Empire.
Hey--pick ONE and stick with it! But I will not be held responsible for the accidental and poorly timed date of my birth! I've most likely been around only since the 1500s (counting all my reincarnations) and in Eastern Europe to boot. Korean and Thai cuisines weren't among the most popular. I remember how impossible it was to even find a burger--with or without cheese!

Asian recipes are among my favorites to cook. I have a carbon steel wok and a few great Asian cookbooks but they still omit ingredients used in Asian households and restaurants, or some of those ingredients can't be sourced locally, as with the Gochugaru. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky